Can I Opt out of Medallion Use on Royal Princess?

jimdee3636

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I found that it wasn't always accurate. At times it wouldn't show anything at all and other times it would show the incorrect deck.

I still prefer it to the card.

They still haven't fixed the security problem of indicating the persons cabin by checking the board so that if you lose your Medallion anyone has access to your cabin until you report it lost.

Edited by jovisoul

5 minutes ago, jovisoul said:

The Medallion does not have your Cabin information on it. Unless someone found it and walked past every cabin on every floor, there is no way they would know where your Cabin is.

It's correct that the Medallion does not have a cabin number princes on it BUT there are numerous boards on even deck that will display the cabin number & exact location of any Medallion. 

There's no need to walk around searching for the cabin. Just walk up to the display screen & look at it.

I don't think you've yet sailed on a Medallion class ship.  

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It's correct that the Medallion does not have a cabin number princes on it BUT there are numerous boards on even deck that will display the cabin number & exact location of any Medallion. 

There's no need to walk around searching for the cabin. Just walk up to the display screen & look at it.

I don't think you've yet sailed on a Medallion class ship.  

I'm sorry Ms. Know-it-All, I have sailed on 4 Medallion class ships so far. You make a lot of assumptions.

When I walked up to the display screen, I don't think it shows me what cabin I am in. It just shows you where you currently are.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Let me repeat what I don't like. Princess is gathering data on you and intends to monetize that data. For now (maybe) it is just on shipboard, but when they find they can sell information about preferences (where you ate, what shows you went to, where you spent time on the ship, etc) they may sell the information to others; or exchange it. What are your privacy rights with respect to Medallion?

When I hear stories like, "I walked past an art auction and then got spam (my word) later on art sales", "I knew to call you now because I saw you were back in your room (from a crew member)", etc, it doesn't comfort me.

• Like 3

The "art auction spam" story has been repeated many times on this forum, but do we have more than one source for the spam claim? I was on a 10 day cruise on the Royal in April and didn't get any spam. I'm not even sure in what form the spam is supposed to come? Does it come via the smartphone App or something? I put my medallion on one of those wristbands, and I didn't use the smartphone app except to check the daily events (instead of carrying the Patters). Never saw any spam.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jovisoul said:

I'm sorry Ms. Know-it-All, I have sailed on 4 Medallion class ships so far. You make a lot of assumptions.

When I walked up to the display screen, I don't think it shows me what cabin I am in. It just shows you where you currently are.

I guess you just don't pay attention to those things. After 4 sailings you should have noticed it by now.

And yes, the problem still exists as of 2 weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Let me repeat what I don't like. Princess is gathering data on you and intends to monetize that data. For now (maybe) it is just on shipboard, but when they find they can sell information about preferences (where you ate, what shows you went to, where you spent time on the ship, etc) they may sell the information to others; or exchange it. What are your privacy rights with respect to Medallion?

When I hear stories like, "I walked past an art auction and then got spam (my word) later on art sales", "I knew to call you now because I saw you were back in your room (from a crew member)", etc, it doesn't comfort me.

Consider this, it's not much different than going to Amazon/Walmart/insert merchant store here, coming to this site, or any other website really.  It's the same thing.  

What we need to do as consumers is get smarter.  We know this tracking will occur, either on internet, or on our phones, or this device.   We learn to say no, or don't click on the ads that are targeted to you.

For me, I am looking forward to the technology, providing it gets me what I want/need better.  It's here, and that technology (like car fobs, smart watches, smart phones) will continue to adapt and improve in in the future.

Edited by Jnsplace1

15 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Ever had your hands full and you need to reach in your pocket to find your key...or your ship card?  With this, now you don't...

Remember, the Medallion only unlocks the door. You still need a free hand to turn the handle and push the door open.

We were on an 11 day Regal medallion Cruise in August and never received any of this “spam” that has been reported.  I agree with the poster that mentioned that using the internet will create tracking that produces much more spam.  I have no problem ignoring that.

17 minutes ago, mevs904 said:

We were on an 11 day Regal medallion Cruise in August and never received any of this “spam” that has been reported.  I agree with the poster that mentioned that using the internet will create tracking that produces much more spam.  I have no problem ignoring that.

I agree it does not create any additional “stuff” in the cabin.  🙄

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Skynight:

I appreciate your explanation, and thanks as well to the others who have posted.

I think I misunderstood the difference between the medallion itself and the Medallion App. I had the impression that having the app---and all the Ocean Ready stuff that goes with it---was a precondition to using the medallion, that you couldn't even get on the ship without having the app on your phone already. Unlike most people, I don't have a smart phone of any kind, and I never will. (I'm simply incapable of understanding them). I guess I could use the medallion in the way that "skynight" explains, but I still don't see the necessity for the medallion system itself. Is it that hard to open your cabin door? Is it that hard to order a drink at Crooners? Is it that hard to tell your spouse or traveling companion, "I'll be in the gym if you're looking for me?" It seems to me that Princess is addressing "problems" that don't exist, or are so trivial that they don't need addressing.

jimdee. Print your boarding passes as you have in the past. Once you arrive at the pier you will be shown to check in just like it has always been. There you will be given your medallions. Your photo will be scanned as you enter the ship just like in the past. We did exactly this in August, were checked in, provided with our medallions, and boarded very quickly. There isn't any requirement that you do all the Ocean Ready stuff in advance.

Necessity depends on who you are. I see the medallion system as a way to attract and retain a new generation of customers, ones that rely on their phones/tablets for mostly everything. If your company doesn't offer this kind of experience these customers will go elsewhere.  

15 hours ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Consider this, it's not much different than going to Amazon/Walmart/insert merchant store here, coming to this site, or any other website really.  It's the same thing.  

It is interesting to see what battles people choose to fight.  Every person who uses this website and posts on these boards sees ads in the margins of the page.  And we don't all see the same ads.  Some might see ads for orthopedic shoe inserts and some might see an ads for a dive watches.  What ads you see depends on what data has been mined from your habits.  No one seems to care about this, and we can all ignore it if we choose to.  But somehow Princess mining your data and trying to tailor your onboard experience to things that you have a demonstrated interest in, or which Princess predicts you might have an interest in is a bad thing?  Driving to the port in a car that unlocks the door while the key fob is in your pocket or purse is a good thing, but boarding a ship where the doors operate in the same way is a bad thing?  Having an app on your phone that allows you to locate family or friends is a good thing, but having similar functionality on the Ocean app is a bad thing?  Being  a "regular" back home at a local bar or restaurant where the bartender knows just how you like your favorite drink  is a good thing, but allowing the bartenders on the ship to get to know you and remember you through the Medallion system is a bad thing?  There is very little, if anything, that this shipboard technology does that isn't already in use on land, and you probably avail yourself of those features every day.

47 minutes ago, skynight said:

I see the medallion system as a way to attract and retain a new generation of customers, ones that rely on their phones/tablets for mostly everything. If your company doesn't offer this kind of experience these customers will go elsewhere.  

And this is it, in a nutshell.  It is the future and there is no turning back.  Within 5 years, every ship at sea will function the same way.  I remember the first time I rented a car that used a keyless entry and starter system and thought that this was really strange.  I'm pretty sure that now there isn't a single car that you can buy that requires that you insert a key into a slot to get the car to start.  In 5 years there won't be a single ship (or hotel) that requires that you slide a card into a slot.  About a third of the hotels I stay in right now allow you to open your room through a Bluetooth "key" that they send to your phone through the hotel's app.  That percentage is only going to climb.  Saves money for the hotel.  They don't really want to purchase those stacks and stacks of plastic cards if they don't have to, and they don't want to have to dispose of the single use plastics.  (But that is a topic for another thread.)  The generations behind us not only love this kind of tech, they demand it.  Princess is just getting ahead of the curve.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:10 AM, ukestrummer said:

Off crown few weeks ago, thought I did not like this gadget , it was handy but the BIG advantage was I could locate my wife anytime on the boards near elevators, right down to the seat in Buffett, this eliminates trying to meet up at certain times, no more   Where are you, coffee shop or room

That is kind of weird and scary that technology can do that.

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

It is interesting to see what battles people choose to fight.  Every person who uses this website and posts on these boards sees ads in the margins of the page.  And we don't all see the same ads.  Some might see ads for orthopedic shoe inserts and some might see an ads for a dive watches.  What ads you see depends on what data has been mined from your habits.  No one seems to care about this, and we can all ignore it if we choose to.  But somehow Princess mining your data and trying to tailor your onboard experience to things that you have a demonstrated interest in, or which Princess predicts you might have an interest in is a bad thing?  Driving to the port in a car that unlocks the door while the key fob is in your pocket or purse is a good thing, but boarding a ship where the doors operate in the same way is a bad thing?  Having an app on your phone that allows you to locate family or friends is a good thing, but having similar functionality on the Ocean app is a bad thing?  Being  a "regular" back home at a local bar or restaurant where the bartender knows just how you like your favorite drink  is a good thing, but allowing the bartenders on the ship to get to know you and remember you through the Medallion system is a bad thing?  There is very little, if anything, that this shipboard technology does that isn't already in use on land, and you probably avail yourself of those features every day.

And this is it, in a nutshell.  It is the future and there is no turning back.  Within 5 years, every ship at sea will function the same way.  I remember the first time I rented a car that used a keyless entry and starter system and thought that this was really strange.  I'm pretty sure that now there isn't a single car that you can buy that requires that you insert a key into a slot to get the car to start.  In 5 years there won't be a single ship (or hotel) that requires that you slide a card into a slot.  About a third of the hotels I stay in right now allow you to open your room through a Bluetooth "key" that they send to your phone through the hotel's app.  That percentage is only going to climb.  Saves money for the hotel.  They don't really want to purchase those stacks and stacks of plastic cards if they don't have to, and they don't want to have to dispose of the single use plastics.  (But that is a topic for another thread.)  The generations behind us not only love this kind of tech, they demand it.  Princess is just getting ahead of the curve.

with browsers, I use private browsing to prevent me from getting weird targeted ads. 

I am in the generation behind you. I am not demanding this kind of technology. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, ukestrummer said:

Off crown few weeks ago, thought I did not like this gadget , it was handy but the BIG advantage was I could locate my wife anytime on the boards near elevators, right down to the seat in Buffett, this eliminates trying to meet up at certain times, no more   Where are you, coffee shop or room

U must use your cell phone to do that??? 

It is interesting to see what battles people choose to fight.  Every person who uses this website and posts on these boards sees ads in the margins of the page.  And we don't all see the same ads.

Well now I feel cheated because I don't see any ads in the margins.

Driving to the port in a car that unlocks the door while the key fob is in your pocket or purse is a good thing, but boarding a ship where the doors operate in the same way is a bad thing? 

When I unlock my car remotely, or even start it, the data isn't being mined by a server. It is low power transmission from the fob to the car.

Having an app on your phone that allows you to locate family or friends is a good thing, but having similar functionality on the Ocean app is a bad thing? 

Not a good thing on land either. If I can track a family member, so can nasty people.

Being  a "regular" back home at a local bar or restaurant where the bartender knows just how you like your favorite drink  is a good thing, but allowing the bartenders on the ship to get to know you and remember you through the Medallion system is a bad thing? 

My barista (I don't go to bars) knowing my drink at Coffee Bean is fine because she isn't sharing my personal information with people who have no need to know my preferred drink.

There is very little, if anything, that this shipboard technology does that isn't already in use on land, and you probably avail yourself of those features every day.

Not true. I block the tracking features on my mobile devices and in my cars; I surf using anonymous proxy servers when I feel the need for added privacy, especially on business related matters. I am fully aware that the Chinese and maybe North Koreans know much more about me than I am comfortable with and I'm not going to do anything that makes it easier for them.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Remember, the Medallion only unlocks the door. You still need a free hand to turn the handle and push the door open.

That is, of course, true.  However, since the door handles are levers and not knobs, they are actually pretty easy to use even if both hans are full.

A couple years ago we took the Princess 5-day Los Angeles-Cabo San Lucas cruise.  Day 4 was a sea day after two days at Cabo San Lucas.  At about 4:OO am we were awakened by an PA announcement from the bridge.  A passenger was reported missing.  The announcement was for the missing woman to call some extension and report her whereabouts.

About ten minutes later the announcement was repeated.

The announcement was repeated twice more at, roughly. ten minute intervals.

Approximately ten minutes after the fourth announcement, the bridge came back on the PA and advised that the missing woman had been located.

During breakfast that day, the word among the passengers was that the missing woman was a 15-year old girl. and she was found sleeping in the Crown Grill.

I truly wish that the Medallion had been in use for that cruise.  I do not consider being awakened at 4:00 am because some teenager is mad at her parents and is throwing a hissy fit to be a vacation highlight,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No cell phone, actually free. The big screens are located by elevators, dining , showroom etc, convenient on the Crown, don’t know about other ships. I can tell you that we had troubles which were fixed right away on medallion but next to photos there were several people helping you along a lot of times during day and evening. Still were getting bugs out.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

When I unlock my car remotely, or even start it, the data isn't being mined by a server. It is low power transmission from the fob to the car.

You sure about that? It's coming, if it isn't already here.  If you have satellite radio in your car, you are being mined.  Your insurance company can install a data mining device.  For some high risk drivers, it is mandatory.  Lots of stuff on the horizon.

https://medium.com/asecuritysite-when-bob-met-alice/could-your-car-become-a-great-data-miner-and-discovery-new-frontiers-of-data-c3f262867b1e

Edited by JimmyVWine

On 11/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, jovisoul said:

I'm afraid you are incorrect. It is true that the screens do not show the personal cabin information on its 'default" screen, but the passenger/Medallion cabin number ARE available by selecting another screen. If someone found your lost Medallion, they absolutely CAN find and access your specific cabin. It seems that after 4 Medallion cruises you just aren't aware of that fact.

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm afraid you are incorrect. It is true that the screens do not show the personal cabin information on its 'default" screen, but the passenger/Medallion cabin number ARE available by selecting another screen. If someone found your lost Medallion, they absolutely CAN find and access your specific cabin. It seems that after 4 Medallion cruises you just aren't aware of that fact.

The odd thing is that they don't care if it shows the cabin or not. They just refuse to accept that security problem and bury their heads in the sand thinking they'll never be a problem.

Just wait until something does happen someday. The lawyers will have a field day knowing that Princess knew about it all along & did nothing to correct the situation. 

2 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

The odd thing is that they don't care if it shows the cabin or not. They just refuse to accept that security problem and bury their heads in the sand thinking they'll never be a problem.

Just wait until something does happen someday. The lawyers will have a field day knowing that Princess knew about it all along & did nothing to correct the situation. 

We're back on the Regal in just a few days time and I'll be playing around with this some more. The naif in me hopes that they will ultimately patch this hole, though it's probably WAY down on their list of things to do. The strange thing is, it would seem logical that all they have to do is code in a requirement into the software to require a PIN # to access that specific info screen, or simply eliminate the sensitive data altogether.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:31 PM, scottca075 said:

So without the medallion PC won't know where you ate, or what you bought? Love it!  Especially when they slip my shipboard account the under the door. the last night. What about the casino???