Uber in Sydney

Cobeck1234

We frequently use Uber for transportation here in the US.  We would like to use them when we land in Sydney to get to our hotel.  We will not have mobile phone service when we first arrive.  What are some suggestions to arrange for transportation using an Uber?

Uber relies on internet and ideally telephone, otherwise you create risk in contacting if issues arise.

If you're not wanting to sign up for a service, but absolutely must use uberx, that falls back to free internet with the limitations and risks that imposes. Your call.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Uber relies on internet and ideally telephone, otherwise you create risk in contacting if issues arise.

If you're not wanting to sign up for a service, but absolutely must use uberx, that falls back to free internet with the limitations and risks that imposes. Your call.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Thanks for the speedy answer.  Still looking at options  We have always just made the arrangements by phone so making them by internet will work just fine.  Thanks again

If you don’t want to rely on free WiFi hot spots for using your mobile apps, you could look into getting an International Day Pass from your US carrier for that first day. Last I used it, At&t charged $10 per day for that feature. I actually switched carriers to T-Mobile before my last international trip because international data roamIng and texting is included for free with most of their plans. Saved a lot of money and hassle, and the monthly charge was lower than AT&T’s, with more things included. 

11 hours ago, kseattle said:

If you don’t want to rely on free WiFi hot spots for using your mobile apps, you could look into getting an International Day Pass from your US carrier for that first day. Last I used it, At&t charged $10 per day for that feature. I actually switched carriers to T-Mobile before my last international trip because international data roamIng and texting is included for free with most of their plans. Saved a lot of money and hassle, and the monthly charge was lower than AT&T’s, with more things included. 

Thanks, Verizon has $10 a day (24 hours) for international use.  I believe it includes calls and texts as well and is charged only if you use it.  I will be going to check with them soon.  T-Mobile is notorious for poor reception in our neighborhood.  My son (who lives in another state) has to lift his right leg, stick out his tongue and put tin foil on his head to get T-Mobile reception when they are visiting us. 

Assuming that we have a smartphone data plan that allows us access to the internet, is Uber reliable in Sydney?  In the US we like Lyft.  Is Lyft reliable?   We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

Uber is far more popular here.

I'd check surge pricing as depending on how many ships are in at once you may find Uber (or any of the ride share) to be more expensive than a booked Limo..

Ola is another operator that is popular with some.   My experience was dire.

4 hours ago, WisRiver said:

is Uber reliable in Sydney? ...  We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

We used an Uber from White Bay to the CBD. no problems at all. Cost us AUD$20 to our Hyde Park  area hotel.

We also used Uber from the airport to our hotel in Darling Harbor and then from our Hyde Park hotel back to the airport.

No problems. I can't say if it's the best choice, but it was a good choice for us.

18 hours ago, WisRiver said:

Assuming that we have a smartphone data plan that allows us access to the internet, is Uber reliable in Sydney?  In the US we like Lyft.  Is Lyft reliable?   We will arrive in Sydney on Holland America so we dock at White Bay.  Will Uber/Lyft be our best choices for ground transport to the CBD?

I also prefer Lyft. Unfortunately Lyft does not operate in Australia. There are other competitors, but not them.

For ground car transport, Uber is the most available, as well as taxis.

Just want to chime in that we have used Uber extensively the last two years in Sydney when we have visited our daughter and family who have been living there in 2017.  We took it twice or more a day for several days in 2018 and 2019.  Vehicles and drivers were great.  Wait not long.  It was great for us.

Keith

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 5:31 AM, WisRiver said:

Uber is excellent in Sydney. We've only used them from the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay but White Bay shouldn't be much different. I like that you can select the type of vehicle you want. If you don't have much baggage then UberX is fine, but with more than two bags I suggest choosing Uber Comfort which are bigger vehicles with more baggage space.

• Thanks 1