Phuket Cruise Port - Availability of Taxi's?

Longwood50

We are going to be on the Norwegian Jade December 11, and December 12 in Phuket.  The cruise line only offers 4 very lousy tours.  We would like to take a taxi to other areas in Phuket.  For someone who is familiar with the Cruise Port, are there Taxi's readily available?  One person indicated that they were not allowed into the port area and difficult to find. 

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

We are going to be on the Norwegian Jade December 11, and December 12 in Phuket.  The cruise line only offers 4 very lousy tours.  We would like to take a taxi to other areas in Phuket.  For someone who is familiar with the Cruise Port, are there Taxi's readily available?  One person indicated that they were not allowed into the port area and difficult to find. 

There are 2 cruise drop off locations in Phuket depending on the season. In December which is high season the cruise ship will probably anchor in Patong Bay on the western side and tender passengers ashore. Once ashore you will be swamped with taxis and tuk tuks offering all forms of excursions. The tender drop off is also right in the heart of shopping, restaraunts and a reasonable beach. Outside of high season the ships dock at an industrial port on the eastern side which is pretty isolated and away from the main attractions.

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Contrary to my previous post it now appears Norwegian Jade docks at the Deepwater Port on the Eastern side which surprises me greatly. You walk off the ship for a hundred metres to the port gates and there should be taxis waiting outside. There is absolutely nothing to see within walking distance of this port.

NeilonBoard 

The information that I got from NCL was that it was slated to be in the deep water port.  Where did you obtain that information so that I can check as the date gets closer.  I understand the cruise lines often change their stated mooring locations.

11 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

NeilonBoard 

The information that I got from NCL was that it was slated to be in the deep water port.  Where did you obtain that information so that I can check as the date gets closer.  I understand the cruise lines often change their stated mooring locations.

I am a regular visitor to Phuket both land based and cruise based. High season which is non monsoon season (November to March) cruise ships anchor in Patong Bay and tender passengers ashore to the busy tourist area of Patong. It is not uncommon to wake up and see several ships at anchor. Most ships are only in for the day and leave early evening but some itineraries allow for an overnight stay. Low season which is monsoon season the ships normally dock at the Deepwater Port because Patong Bay is too exposed to bad weather. This appears to be a more expensive option for the cruise line and is certainly less popular with cruise passengers. There is absolutely nothing in the vicinity of this port and most passengers organise their own transport over to Patong or other beaches on the other side of the island. If your ship is docked in the Deepwater Port in December I guess NCL must have a valid reason why.

Hi

We were on Celebrity Constellation in January 2019 when it arrived at Phuket town .  This was a tender port for us , but was efficient.   There were loads of taxis as you walked off the landing jetty offering to take you anywhere.   You may be able to get a cheaper deal if you walk along the pathway for a few hundred yards and strike a deal with a driver there.  Tender took you almost to centre of Phuket.  Short stroll to shops bars etc.  Beautiful beach too 

7 hours ago, yorky1 said:

Hi

We were on Celebrity Constellation in January 2019 when it arrived at Phuket town .  This was a tender port for us , but was efficient.   There were loads of taxis as you walked off the landing jetty offering to take you anywhere.   You may be able to get a cheaper deal if you walk along the pathway for a few hundred yards and strike a deal with a driver there.  Tender took you almost to centre of Phuket.  Short stroll to shops bars etc.  Beautiful beach too 

I you came off a ship's tender then you were dropped at Patong Beach not Phuket town. Phuket town is over on the eastern side near the Deep Water port and has no beach close by.