Connectivity on Regent

flossie009

I am sure that I read earlier this year that Regent were further upgrading the Wi-Fi systems on board their ships.

On our present cruise on SS Voyager internet speeds have been poor and the last couple of days it is down to worse than dial-up.

Previously we experienced the worst Wi-Fi connectivity on Explorer, but I am afraid to say that Voyager now claims the booby prize.

The frustration of trying to do anything on-line can hardly be described as an included “benefit” 😥

Rant over - I will now get back to enjoying the cruise 😎

For those techies out there here are screenshots of speed tests from yesterday and today:

6DAD92A0-95C3-402B-91D4-D1566C2360CE.thumb.png.74908a665fec9c1a5d6e6c1a2d2fc260.png

83E03FF4-D766-4E91-96E5-4EB6378B1550.thumb.png.c87e2e4a9a917f3459f679c3d1817dd3.png

23B212A5-4CAB-4A42-8F7E-D2CA1E33462E.thumb.png.290a4b57644de6c43e3ed7371d3e2ddb.png

• Thanks 1

I don't really know for sure, but I think that number of users and world location can affect internet speeds.  We were on Mariner last year in the Pacific.  In general the internet speed was fine.  But there were times that it was extremely slow.  I would wait and try later and it would be fine again.  All I could figure is that there are simply times that a number of people get on the internet and slows it down, and there are times that the satellite signal is low.  But I'm in no way a Techie so I can't really speak for sure.  

• Like 1

Likewise I am not an expert but would assume that Papaflamingo is right that the number of users and geography might be factors that slow down Internet speeds.

i imagine that the ship depends upon a satellite connection, and “shadows” exist where and possibly when the connection worsens. This depends not only on the location of the ship but also the position of orbiting satellites and ground level transmission boosters (well, something like that!)

i wonder if there has been a deterioration since leaving the Med?

one other potential factor may be that satellite signals are being interrupted as you pass the Middle East, particularly as you near Yemen, Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf states, but there are other possibilities such as weather, the dreaded “rain fade”

• Like 1

Sorry - I should have made it clear that connectivity has been very, very poor for the whole cruise; and then became even worse the last couple of days.

Good weather throughout the cruise so don’t see that as a problem for satellite comms.

Yes, offering everyone included internet access does tend to mean guests try to make use of the facility.

I got off the Mariner last week (Caribbean cruise) and the WiFi was the worst I've experienced. Some days there was no connectivity. As mentioned it could have been a combination of satellite and too much usage. The cruise review is now done on line and that slowed everything also. I tried to book our tours for upcoming June cruise and after clicking "checkout" it would kick me off. I tried three times with no luck. Had no problem booking tours once I got home. That said, presently the Regent site does not allow me to log off. I get message apologizing the site is unavailable. We are embarking on the Mariner in December and I hope the Internet situation is better.

This has been an issue for several years now.  Yes, having a lot of users on board will consume more bandwidth...but the bottom line is that Regent just has poor internet.  Always has, in my experience.

I’ve heard others say that some mainstream lines have significantly better internet, even on 5,000+ pax ships.  I honestly believe it comes down to money...I’m pretty confident that Regent could upgrade their sat links and get better, faster internet...but I’m sure there’s a significant cost involved.

It’s almost 2020 - there’s no excuse for having substandard internet on a ship in populated areas.  I’d expect marginal/no internet near the poles, of course, but current technology should provide service throughout most of the globe, IMO.

• Like 2

We've heard the same thing, however we've really never had a problem.  At times it's been slow, but we don't work-so never use it for work.  We write a few friends, write a travel blog for friends and write a review for CC while we cruise.  So it works for us.

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

If I'm not mistaken the included internet on Regent is one device per person? I can't imagine what the internet speed would be like if it was truly unlimited, as in multiple devices per person!

I think it is one device per stateroom below Concierge level, then 4 devices per stateroom.  Also Gold level and above get 4 devices per stateroom, regardless of room category.  This was a significant factor in our deciding to book Concierge level on our first Regent cruise.  It sounds like that won't be as useful as we thought.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

This has been an issue for several years now.  Yes, having a lot of users on board will consume more bandwidth...but the bottom line is that Regent just has poor internet.  Always has, in my experience.

I’ve heard others say that some mainstream lines have significantly better internet, even on 5,000+ pax ships.  I honestly believe it comes down to money...I’m pretty confident that Regent could upgrade their sat links and get better, faster internet...but I’m sure there’s a significant cost involved.

It’s almost 2020 - there’s no excuse for having substandard internet on a ship in populated areas.  I’d expect marginal/no internet near the poles, of course, but current technology should provide service throughout most of the globe, IMO.

Totally agree with you. There is absolutely no excuse for such consistently slow internet on the entire fleet. I have been on several of the luxury cruise ships lines (Silversea, Seabourn) in the last two years plus a premium line (Viking). All of them had internet far superior to Regent with great connectivity (even in the middle of the Tasman Sea) on ships where everyone had free internet. Regent needs to invest in the equipment needed to provide decent and consistent service. And Regent loyalists should stop making excuses for slow service. If other cruise ships can provide acceptable and reliable service for their passengers,  why can’t Regent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has been written before in many threads, the internet speed and reliability on all Regent ships is more then too often poor.  Your speed test results are even below par. Usually I can get up to 1mps download.  Can your poor speed be result of other user clogging the system; yes but not as bad as your test is showing. Try doing your test etiher very late at night or very early and if it is any better

What is always a giveaway of poor internet connections is the "ping" and "Jitter." Any ping (latency) of over 200 is marginal and over 700 and the connections will tend to drop of totally. 

Jitter is a form of packet delay. The higher the jitter score, the more inconsistent connection response times are, which manifests in choppy voice calls or glitchy-sounding looking video quality.   A high jitter means that information is being lost and having to resend.  A good jitter is usually under 30.

Here is a good explanation of how this all works.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is Latency Different from Bandwidth?

Well, for one thing latency is a way to measure speed. Ironically, bandwidth isn’t, despite the fact that everyone refers to bandwidth as speed.

More seriously, though, the best way to explain the difference is like this (using a pipe as an example):

• Bandwidth has to do with how wide or narrow a pipe is.
  • Latency has to do with the contents of the pipe; how fast it moves from one end to the next.

Latency and Bandwidth – Cause and Effect

There is a cause and effect when it comes to latency and bandwidth. In other words, one will affect how the other functions. And ultimately, the final outcome is the speed of your internet connection.

For example, if you have a real low latency, but you have a small bandwidth, it’ll take longer for information to travel from point A to point B compared to a connection that has a low latency and high bandwidth. To put this into perspective, 5 Nascar race cars will get from point A to point B faster if they’re on a 5 lane freeway (low latency, high bandwidth) compared to the same number of cars making the same trip down a 1 lane freeway (low latency, small bandwidth).

What is a Good Latency?

A good figure for latency, like bandwidth or anything internet related, is relative. What are you going to be using the internet for? That would make the question much easier to answer.

That said, anything under 200ms is reasonable. If you play gamesespecially first person shooters or driving games, then you should aim for a latency of less than 50ms and preferably less than 30ms.

What Affects Latency?

There are a number of things that affect latency:

Connection Type – The type of connection you use will affect your latency. A good example is Satellites.  Satellites are tens of thousands of miles away in space. When you make a request it goes to the satellite, to the main ISP hub and internet, and then back again. It has to make multiple trips to space and back for you to get the data you requested. This (obviously) takes a long time. As a result satellite connections have ping rates in the range of 500ms. This is very high, especially when you compare it to a solid cable connection (like mine) that has a ping rate of 12ms.

Distances – The further you are away from something (satellites, ISP hub, etc) the longer it’ll take for information to be sent from there to your computer.

Congestion – This goes hand in hand width bandwidth. The smaller your bandwidth connection (or if you share bandwidth), the more likely you’ll experience congestion (slower internet), especially with a low latency. All of this information is coming at you real quick but has to slow down because there the pipe (bandwidth) is only so big and can only fit so much in it at once. So your data has to wait it’s turn.

• Like 1

Remember: Per Regent - "

Miami (Mar. 28, 2019) – Regent Seven Seas Cruises®, the leading luxury ocean cruise line, today announced three guest experience enhancements.

• The cruise line is nearly doubling internet bandwidth size across its fleet by January 2020. Significantly increasing bandwidth compared to 2018 will make free internet surfing more enjoyable for Regent guests as the internet will be faster and even more reliable on all devices. Guests will begin to benefit from bandwidth expansion starting April 2019. Signing on to Wi-Fi will be smoother through a log-in webpage that appears when guests connect to the ship’s network, and guests will have a more streamlined log-in process enabling unlimited complimentary and effortless web surfing.”

“Nearly doubling bandwidth provides Regent guests with an even faster and easier free internet experience to stay in touch and share their travel experiences with their family, friends and business associates at home while sailing around the world,” says Jason Montague, Regent Seven Seas Cruises president and chief executive officer. “Across our fleet we continue to refine the small details, such as creating a faster internet, including free valet laundry service for Master and Grand Suite guests, and deploying a tool for real-time guest feedback. This significant investment demonstrates our commitment to providing guests with an unrivaled experience.”

Maybe,I misunderstood "unrivaled"!

• Haha 1

I used that trick on Voyager!  I think the extenders are in the hallway.  At home we have plaster walls that impede WiFi so we need extenders all over the house.  Perhaps the metal doors and general fireproofing have the same effect.  

52 minutes ago, forgap said:

I used that trick on Voyager!  I think the extenders are in the hallway.  At home we have plaster walls that impede WiFi so we need extenders all over the house.  Perhaps the metal doors and general fireproofing have the same effect.  

There are plenty of Apps on both iOS and Android that will tell you the Wifi bridge node (extenders) signal strength so that one can position their device for optimum reception. Just remember that just because their is a good signal to the node does not mean that the remaining wifi connection is any faster/better.

Here is a link to an android app that works well (Link)

J

The internet speed on the Explorer (September-October 2019) from London to Barcelona was generally very poor.  Measured speeds were mostly below 1 Mbs, ping was usually above 600ms, jitter was quite variable from below 20 to above 1000 ms  (Time stamps on image posted below are not the actual time on the ship).

I tried to update an app on my phone while onboard.  It took about 15 minutes to update a single app.  I was unable to download some newspaper files that I have been able to download (slowly) in the past on Regent.  Not sure of the file size, but I dowloaded the file on land with a wifi connection in about 10 seconds.

The internet on Regent has been like the old dial-up service (if not worse) as long as I have been sailing on Regent.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't is my assessment.  Regent has frequently said it was making major improvements but as far as I can tell the quality of the service remains essentially unchanged over time, maybe it is even worse than before.  (Remember the fiber-optic speeds that were said to be the result of one of the upgrades!)

About a year ago, an officer on Regent told me that internet service  was the most frequent complaint from guests. Neither Regent's old paper survey nor the new online survey has a question about the quality of the internet connection on board--which reveals how little Regent management values internet service. Not even worth asking about!

IMG_9300.jpg

6 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

This significant investment demonstrates our commitment to providing guests with an unrivaled experience.”

No, “unrivalled” is a perfect description ..................... just not in a good way.

2 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Neither Regent's old paper survey nor the new online survey has a question about the quality of the internet connection on board--which reveals how little Regent management values internet service. Not even worth asking about

Yes, it is disturbing that Regent’s surveys do not ask questions about the more difficult issues.

No questions on the survey about the new Regent Excursion App either.

Will have to use the “additional comments” section at the end of the survey

PS: to those who like leaving their suite door ajar or scurrying around the ship looking for Wi-Fi repeaters, we have tried all the “tricks” on this cruise, to no avail. Connectivity has been poor to non-existent throughout the ship; even in the Computer Room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

PS: to those who like leaving their suite door ajar or scurrying around the ship looking for Wi-Fi repeaters, we have tried all the “tricks” on this cruise, to no avail. Connectivity has been poor to non-existent throughout the ship; even in the Computer Room

Sorry this was a little rude; simply internet frustration setting in.

I should have said thank you to all the posters who offered useful tips to circumvent Regent’s poor internet. Unfortunately none of the usual strategies are working at present on this cruise on Voyager.

(I would have corrected the previous post earlier ............. but could not connect ............ Grrrr .........

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, DeepFreeze63 said:

Remember: Per Regent - "

Miami (Mar. 28, 2019) – Regent Seven Seas Cruises®, the leading luxury ocean cruise line, today announced three guest experience enhancements.

• The cruise line is nearly doubling internet bandwidth size across its fleet by January 2020. Significantly increasing bandwidth compared to 2018 will make free internet surfing more enjoyable for Regent guests as the internet will be faster and even more reliable on all devices. Guests will begin to benefit from bandwidth expansion starting April 2019. Signing on to Wi-Fi will be smoother through a log-in webpage that appears when guests connect to the ship’s network, and guests will have a more streamlined log-in process enabling unlimited complimentary and effortless web surfing.”

“Nearly doubling bandwidth provides Regent guests with an even faster and easier free internet experience to stay in touch and share their travel experiences with their family, friends and business associates at home while sailing around the world,” says Jason Montague, Regent Seven Seas Cruises president and chief executive officer. “Across our fleet we continue to refine the small details, such as creating a faster internet, including free valet laundry service for Master and Grand Suite guests, and deploying a tool for real-time guest feedback. This significant investment demonstrates our commitment to providing guests with an unrivaled experience.”

I’ll believe that when I see it...hopefully in January when we board!  But I still remember their hype about “rivaling fiber optic speeds” - we saw how long THAT boast lasted!

19 hours ago, flossie009 said:

PS: to those who like leaving their suite door ajar or scurrying around the ship looking for Wi-Fi repeaters, we have tried all the “tricks” on this cruise, to no avail. Connectivity has been poor to non-existent throughout the ship; even in the Computer Room.

I’m with Flossie on the ‘tips’ - none of them ever worked for me on Explorer, ever.  I’ve tried connecting my i-devices, laptops, etc. both in my suite and in public areas, and I’ve logged on the PCs in the computer room.  Always terrible performance, often unusable.

• Like 2

Hi there, currently onboard this cruise and it will be fun to see how long this takes to post. Flossie is right - this is worse than dial up. I need the Internet during the cruise for work-related things. (Yes, I'm one of those with a small business who needs to remain connected. I realize the risks!) Luckily, I've stumbled on windows of opportunity and have used them. My wife (Maryogreen on CC) and I have found that camping out in the chairs on Deck 6 near the card tables has been the best place possible. (Yes, if you have seen us, we are those people with the laptops.) We have heard all sorts of explanations about why it's so bad. Without question cabin access is the worst but the guy in the computer room explained that's because of the heavy doors. If I need to send an email I always make sure I stand at the open door. That often does the trick. 

Herb

Edited by bizinsider

@bizinsider of course...now I add two and two together and have made the connection between Modern Postcard Mary, who was in Barcelona when I last read, and @flossie009's itinerary.  Mary and I have made connections through our respective blogs and have chatted now and again.   I'll keep fingers crossed for better connectivity during the remainder of the cruise and sympathise with the frustration!

(apologies for taking the thread slightly off track!)

@Gilly, Great to hear from you here! And very clever of you to figure out my connection with Herb. 🙂 We have not yet met the famous @flossie009, but hopefully our paths will cross before the end of the cruise. It has been a fabulous cruise, despite the internet frustrations. I will be posting a full review on this board when we're back home as well as stories and photos from each port on my blog. Maybe you and I will find ourselves on the same cruise one day!

Mary

Travel Blog: https://www.themodernpostcard.com

Folks need to remember that there are several different "paths" that any internet data must travel through.  The first is the link between your device and the ship's server.  That's the part that is "wifi", and the tricks about device placement and open doors are part of facilitating a clearer path for the wireless data to travel.  The next part is the satellite link from the ship's server to a land-based server.  This path is not dependent on your location within the ship, but is dependent on the location of the ship itself, the quality of the linkage and the bandwidth of the connection.  There's nothing a passenger can do about the latter.

Note that any "signal strength" indicators for your "wifi" are only regarding that first connection to the shipboard server.  It is not an indication of overall internet connectivity.