Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Csmommy1

Packing, UGH!

Recommended Posts

I hate packing, & need help! We are leaving out of NYC this Friday on our 1st cruise on the Norwegian Escape to Bermuda. How do I pack? I don’t know where to look for a weather report & I fear I am going to have to bring ALL my clothes to cover my bases. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google search weather for a couple of your ports. For example, "Miami weather". Or "Bermuda weather". Lots of info out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, but other than NYC where we cruise in & out of, we are at Sea - only in Bermuda for 1 1/2 days so that is why I can't figure out where to get a weather report to pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At sea the day time temperatures will vary from NYC temps to Bermuda temps, depending on how close to one or the other you are.

 

Night time on the water tends to feel cooler.

 

The secret is layering.  Pack light and  medium weight shirts, with some turtle necks to go under.  A light weight sweater, possibly a medium weight based on NYC weather.  And a light jacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Csmommy1 said:

Thank you, but other than NYC where we cruise in & out of, we are at Sea - only in Bermuda for 1 1/2 days so that is why I can't figure out where to get a weather report to pack.

NOAA for marine forecasts.

Alternatively, triangulate the forecasted weather of your NYC departure with Bermuda and the nearest mainland city on Bermuda's latitude. Then average the temps/conditions for a VERY rough estimate of the range of what you may encounter.

OR- just have layered clothing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google this:

 

"what should I pack for a cruise from new york to bermuda"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Csmommy1 said:

I hate packing, & need help! We are leaving out of NYC this Friday on our 1st cruise on the Norwegian Escape to Bermuda. How do I pack? I don’t know where to look for a weather report & I fear I am going to have to bring ALL my clothes to cover my bases. Any help would be great. Thanks!

 

According to weather.com, it should be around 50 in NYC on Friday and similar the following week.  Hamilton/Pembroke Parish looks like mid 70's for most of the week, with a chance of rain most days - but island rain can mean 5-10 minutes a couple times a day, not necessarily rain all day.

 

As others have said, layers would be good.  I would have gloves and hat/scarf, probably a vest too.  Umbrella or poncho for rain - poncho would keep hands free and more forgiving with wind.  Depending on your plans in Bermuda I might bring an extra pair of shoes incase the first gets wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, clo said:

Google this:

 

"what should I pack for a cruise from new york to bermuda"

 

Great tip.  I just did it and lots of hits came up.  And I'm not even going to Bermuda or NYC.  

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I would have gloves and hat/scarf, probably a vest too.  Umbrella or poncho for rain - poncho would keep hands free and more forgiving with wind.

 

Yes, I forget to mention gloves and hat, mainly because I only wear them when it is VERY cold.  And they are something I typically forget, so have to buy.

 

I have a LOT of knit hats around the house. 😄

 

I always have an umbrella with me.  And when I pick a light to medium weight jacket for travel, it is always also rain proof.

 

For rain ponchos, hit the dollar store and pick up a few of the disposable ones.  $1 each, small and light to pack.

Edited by SRF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SRF said:

For rain ponchos, hit the dollar store and pick up a few of the disposable ones.  $1 each, small and light to pack.

I bought this at Nordstrom in the last year (currently not available at Nordy's but I've seen it on other sites) and best purchase ever.  I don't carry an umbrella and it folds up super small in a little drawstring pouch.  Now some of you guys may have some gender issues but.... 🙂

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/joules-right-as-rain-print-packable-hooded-poncho/4564309/full

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These on Amazon come in fun prints OR solids, so something to suit anyone. 

Poncho Jacket Hooded Adults Pockets

 

Thanks for reminding me I bought these for next year's So.Pacific cruise! We do have H2NO long raincoats that really protect, but they are bulky. I figure in the So.Pac the rain will be warm and intermittent, and ponchos will be easier to tuck in the daypack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

These on Amazon come in fun prints OR solids, so something to suit anyone. 

Poncho Jacket Hooded Adults Pockets

 

Thanks for reminding me I bought these for next year's So.Pacific cruise! We do have H2NO long raincoats that really protect, but they are bulky. I figure in the So.Pac the rain will be warm and intermittent, and ponchos will be easier to tuck in the daypack.

Thanks.  I'd never used a poncho like this and like it enormously.  It seems to 'shed' the water easily which is also nice.  Maybe I should get one of these for Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

These on Amazon come in fun prints OR solids, so something to suit anyone. 

Poncho Jacket Hooded Adults Pockets

 

Thanks for reminding me I bought these for next year's So.Pacific cruise! We do have H2NO long raincoats that really protect, but they are bulky. I figure in the So.Pac the rain will be warm and intermittent, and ponchos will be easier to tuck in the daypack.


Those look nice, but not that small when packed.  It say 9.8" x 6"

 

How thick?

 

Nice thing about the dollar store ones, they fit in a pocket, and when done, you toss them.  No having to dry or fold. 😄

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from 2 back to back cruises. PACK LIGHT. Pack half of what you originally plan to pack.  The rooms are not that big and drawer hanger space is at a premium.. you can store luggage under the bed but its a pain to drag out. If you plan thoughtfully you can hang one outfit for each evening and use the drawers just for t's and undies.  Advise pick an outfit for each day/evening of the trip. Bermuda is warm. halfway through your first cruise day you will be in warm water/weather . I would think a light jacket or hoodie will be all the warm gear you will need if that. The same outgoing NY outfit will get you back the day you enter back into the cooler air on the return.  Stay inside on the first half of the first day in the observation deck outside will likely be windy and cool and who needs a head cold on vacation? Most of the cruisers nowadays travel in very casual clothing. Even on the "formal nights"  it wasn't that dressy. If you plan to eat in the dining room most meals which I highly advise make sure the men have collared shirts no golf shirts tie necessary and for ladies advise nice dress or pallazo pants and a handful of blouses for evening wear. Ladies 2 or 3 pairs of capri's , a pair of jeans for the NY ends of the trip.  I found it quite chilly inside after dinner and especially in the shows.. I had a sweater but wished I had a nicer evening wear type of sweater. We did back to backs on a whim and when we got off the first ship we literally ditched 60% of what we packed.  Swimsuits, swimsuit cover if you plan to spend lots of time at the pool you may want more than one. *They sell the  ladies swim suit covers very pretty on the ship and in port quite inexpensively so don't fret if this time of year you can't find anything in NY easily. ..I did not see swim suits on the ship and didn't look for them in port.   If it rains in tropics its usually only a quick sprinkle.. we were at the beach when it rained and didn't need umbrella's and rain gear

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks.  I'd never used a poncho like this and like it enormously.  It seems to 'shed' the water easily which is also nice.  Maybe I should get one of these for Bob.

We got ponchos in Bermuda years ago from our tour guide.We still take them.On our last cruise we also took rain jackets, big mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SRF said:

Those look nice, but not that small when packed.  It say 9.8" x 6"

How thick?

Nice thing about the dollar store ones, they fit in a pocket, and when done, you toss them.  No having to dry or fold.

The ones I got are here, the two-colored ones in the second row:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DV3LV6M

It says the packed dimensions are 5.9"x9.8", but in fact it is 4.75"x9", and uncompressed maybe 2" thick at the middle, but compressing to 1" easily. The larger dimensions might be the baggie when empty and stretched out? The poncho's material is substantial enough that you couldn't, for example, fold the bag in half.

 

This is far smaller than our LLBean knee-length raincoats, and I figure two of them will easily transport in the bottom of my daypack (that I would be carrying anyway).

 

The disposables on the same page say the package when folded is 6x8, so it's not like they are tiny either. They look very clingy, and we are not small people...

 

ETA: We have not *used* these ponchos yet! We may hate them. But I am always in the market for functional items that pack smaller/lighter.

Edited by crystalspin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 8:10 AM, Csmommy1 said:

I hate packing, & need help! We are leaving out of NYC this Friday on our 1st cruise on the Norwegian Escape to Bermuda. How do I pack? I don’t know where to look for a weather report & I fear I am going to have to bring ALL my clothes to cover my bases. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Call the Bermuda Tourist Infomation Office.At one time,many years ago they had an office near Radio City Music Hall.They are probably not there any longer but if you google and call they should be able to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, nkuzy said:

Just got back from 2 back to back cruises. PACK LIGHT. Pack half of what you originally plan to pack.  The rooms are not that big and drawer hanger space is at a premium.. you can store luggage under the bed but its a pain to drag out.

 

The cabin class YOU HAD may have little space.  Other cabin classes may not have this limitation.

 

We have never run out of space for storage.  But we probably cruise in a different cabin class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need cool weather clothes for most of the trip...it's MID NOVEMBER!  And, it's windy at sea!  Bring a couple pair of shorts for Bermuda...

Weather is showing in the mid to high 70's for next week.  Google "Bermuda Weather"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SRF said:

 

The cabin class YOU HAD may have little space.  Other cabin classes may not have this limitation.

 

We have never run out of space for storage.  But we probably cruise in a different cabin class.

Here's our cabin on our Norwegian coastal cruise in March.  No room for luggage but we had a place elsewhere.  This cabin was really, really small but we were fine.  And that was with heavier than usual clothes. And we'll have a veranda on Oceania soon.

 

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying that their are not cabins with little space, many posters assume ALL cabins are like that.

 

Like those that insist you MUST have an over the door shoe organizer.

 

We sail in full suites. So have PLENTY of room. Even with both of us over packing. 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SRF said:

Not saying that their are not cabins with little space, many posters assume ALL cabins are like that.

 

Like those that insist you MUST have an over the door shoe organizer.

 

We sail in full suites. So have PLENTY of room. Even with both of us over packing. 😄

 

We won't have suites but a 282 sq. ft cabin.

Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We generally sail in balconies, but have also sailed in Ocean View and have always had plenty of space for the two of us.  We are moderate packers and don't use over-the-door hangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 7:19 AM, SRF said:

 

The cabin class YOU HAD may have little space.  Other cabin classes may not have this limitation.

 

We have never run out of space for storage.  But we probably cruise in a different cabin class.

   We  found on the last trip we tend to over pack hence the advice to pack lite and think about an outfit for each day instead of perhaps cramming the cases with everything "just in case."  My observation was there are  a large number of passengers schleping multiple suit cases for a relatively short period of time.   There are only so many days on the cruise and so many times one would change clothes practically regardless of the amount of cabin space or type of cabin.  We also found cabin class to be of almost no value to us personally as the only time we were spending in the cabin was when we were sleeping, changing or showering. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...