Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 46

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 11 and Sunday, November 17.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Well my local wetlands, Green Cay, is closed as of today, for as long as 4 months as they replace the nature center roof and the 2 miles of boardwalk over the wetlands.  This is one of my two regular weekend spots, and especially during winter season - so this weekend I got in my last shots from this place for the rest of this year, and probably until Spring 2020.  At least lots of bird diversity was out on a cool day (for Florida), temps staying around 72 degrees for a high.  It was a good send-off for the park:

Least bittern male, on the hunt:

original.jpg

Adorable little round ball of a bird - a common yellowthroat:

original.jpg

Zoomed in really close, you can spot this bird - from 10 feet away with the naked eye, you could walk right past and never notice.  Excellent camouflage make this a bird often heard, but rarely spotted...an eastern whip-poor-will:

original.jpg

One of our most showy birds, the roseate spoonbill, stretching his wings:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron, sitting quietly in late day sun, with his reflection to keep him company:

original.jpg

A white ibis coming in to land:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron turning in the air as he passes by:

original.jpg

• Like 2

Every time you choose between two or more of anything, there are winners and losers. In a race or sporting event, the winner and loser is chosen based on the fastest time or highest/lowest score. Chance, in the form of a coin toss can be used. The winner may also be determined by critical judgement. This week’s picture is of the winner based on the latter type. My choices were to spend the weekend traipsing around the Southland taking pictures or wielding tools to renovate our entertainment gazebo to make room for visiting family to actually sit down and eat. Both my conscience and Wonderful Wife were in favor of the renovation. Condolences to photography. 

Winners and Losers

p3712444450-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

On 11/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, pierces said:

Every time you choose between two or more of anything, there are winners and losers. In a race or sporting event, the winner and loser is chosen based on the fastest time or highest/lowest score. Chance, in the form of a coin toss can be used. The winner may also be determined by critical judgement. This week’s picture is of the winner based on the latter type. My choices were to spend the weekend traipsing around the Southland taking pictures or wielding tools to renovate our entertainment gazebo to make room for visiting family to actually sit down and eat. Both my conscience and Wonderful Wife were in favor of the renovation. Condolences to photography. 

Winners and Losers

p3712444450-5.jpg

Dave

Cute -- looks like our house when something breaks down and gets fixed with lots of leftover parts.

On 11/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, zackiedawg said:

Well my local wetlands, Green Cay, is closed as of today, for as long as 4 months as they replace the nature center roof and the 2 miles of boardwalk over the wetlands.  This is one of my two regular weekend spots, and especially during winter season - so this weekend I got in my last shots from this place for the rest of this year, and probably until Spring 2020.  At least lots of bird diversity was out on a cool day (for Florida), temps staying around 72 degrees for a high.  It was a good send-off for the park:

Least bittern male, on the hunt:

original.jpg

Adorable little round ball of a bird - a common yellowthroat:

original.jpg

Zoomed in really close, you can spot this bird - from 10 feet away with the naked eye, you could walk right past and never notice.  Excellent camouflage make this a bird often heard, but rarely spotted...an eastern whip-poor-will:

original.jpg

One of our most showy birds, the roseate spoonbill, stretching his wings:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron, sitting quietly in late day sun, with his reflection to keep him company:

original.jpg

A white ibis coming in to land:

original.jpg

A tricolor heron turning in the air as he passes by:

original.jpg

Beautiful birds.