Currency Exchange in Puerta Maya port area

marci4tony

Has anyone done a currency exchange in the port area prior to heading out to the city?

The taxi rates, based on todays' exchange rate, are nearly HALF in pesos than American Dollars.

Is this common for tourist to do this?

Thank you in advance

Edited by marci4tony
punctuation

26 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

Has anyone done a currency exchange in the port area prior to heading out to the city?

The taxi rates, based on todays' exchange rate, are nearly HALF in pesos than American Dollars.

Is this common for tourist to do this?

Thank you in advance

There have been warnings about using machines actually at the piers but we have used the one at the bank in Royal Village without problems.

We have previously always used pesos for a much better rate in the taxis but recently it has been very difficult on cruise ship days from the piers. We haven't asked for the actual tarifa but have been quoted a straight $ exchange (18:1) so we have saved our pesos for the bars, where you nearly always get a better deal. We always ask for both prices and decide accordingly.

http://everythingcozumel.com/cozumel-info/taxi-rates/

No real need to make any currency exchange.  Taxi drivers prefer US$, they know where to get the best bang for the buck.  Taxi rates are set by the municipality/ union.  Set in pesos.  Don't float.  You're talking pennies here.  The Official rate is about 1peso:5US cents.  So even at a high tarifa of 14:1, that's 7 cents vs 5.  18:1 is a 1/2 penny difference.

Best though to exchange at a bank versus any cambios or ATMs at port.

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

No real need to make any currency exchange.  Taxi drivers prefer US$, they know where to get the best bang for the buck.  Taxi rates are set by the municipality/ union.  Set in pesos.  Don't float.  You're talking pennies here.  The Official rate is about 1peso:5US cents.  So even at a high tarifa of 14:1, that's 7 cents vs 5.  18:1 is a 1/2 penny difference.

Best though to exchange at a bank versus any cambios or ATMs at port.

Actually, the difference to a popular beach resort is $7 savings one way (which would more than cover the tip)  Not exactly what I would call pennies, but then again, we can only afford to cruise every other year.  Thank you though

So pay US dollars AND give a tip, or pay MXP, same amount - would include the tip.

220MXP  or $18USD

$18USD approx 360 MXP

140MXP difference at .05; approx $7 difference

17 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

Actually, the difference to a popular beach resort is $7 savings one way (which would more than cover the tip)  Not exactly what I would call pennies, but then again, we can only afford to cruise every other year.  Thank you though

So pay US dollars AND give a tip, or pay MXP, same amount - would include the tip.

220MXP  or $18USD

$18USD approx 360 MXP

Not sure where you are seeing 220MXP? If it is the Puerta Maya website, I believe it is out of date and isn’t what I have on my latest (unofficial) peso guide.

As stated above there used to be a saving. I haven’t seen an official tarifa but they are using a conversion of 18 and for one day on the island we have gone with the flow. Land visits we might  investigate further.

Tipping for taxis in Mexico is not the norm but Cozumel taxi drivers are used to American tourists!

I just pulled the data from this and compared it to US dollars that was posted by a cruise critic pax from last month.

I would hope they would update their website, but you are correct in the sense that they may not have :)  If I do convert, it will be done at an exchange here in Idaho prior to even hopping on the airplane!  (This Friday btw)

I do appreciate your information so thank you!

image.png.c4d654f1993f6b899adcf4b8925b8928.png

image.png

1 minute ago, marci4tony said:

just pulled the data from this and compared it to US dollars that was posted by a cruise critic pax from last month.

Yes I have seen that before and I am not sure it is up to date. Every taxi driver has to have an official tarifa in his taxi and that is the union rate that you would have to go by so it depends how involved you want to get in your negotiations.

I think I noticed in another thread you were thinking of doing a day pass to a resort hotel? Unless they have quoted you a favorable peso rate there doesn't seem much point in getting pesos for one day. We generally work in pesos because we keep a float for land vacations and just use left overs on cruise days. Local bars, restaurants and shops are where you will make savings - tourist attractions and hotels, not so much.

• Thanks 1

Honestly anything you save would be minimal and could potentially be lost by getting stuck with pesos you don’t need.  I have never exchanged currency in Mexico at all even for week long land trips.  Definitely no need for a 1-day cruise stop. I have been told by many Mexicans they prefer dollars anyway. 

3 hours ago, marci4tony said:

220MXP  or $18USD

$18USD approx 360 MXP

Not sure of your math.   Let's assume the exchange rate is 14:1 or 1 peso (MxD) equals 7 cents.  220 MxD = US$ 15.40.   That would get 4 people down to Paradise Beach.

Here is a US$ taxi rate sign from Puerta Maya (2018)

https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/

Note that the prices are per taxi  not per passenger.

44 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Not sure of your math.   Let's assume the exchange rate is 14:1 or 1 peso (MxD) equals 7 cents.  220 MxD = US$ 15.40.   That would get 4 people down to Paradise Beach.

Exchange rate, for today, again is .05  

1 - The old outdated data, as provided by puerta maya . com is 220 mxd

220mxd = $11.00USD

2 - The same ride, on another persons photo from September 2019  - same destination - is $18.00

$18.00 USD =  360mxd

The difference between is 140 mxd = at an exchange rate of .05 = $7.00

I assure you, my math, based on the limited information I have, is accurate.

But thank you for making me check.  

image.png.fda8770c4f3abb945700d2f0fc2af221.png

As I recall,  at one time back in the 00s maybe or later, there was a set exchange rate of around 10:1 which everyone used. It's now 18:1, set by the Taxi Drivers Union. This link is the rate card. It is in Spanish but should be readable.  Prices are in Mexican $(pesos).

http://everythingcozumel.com/cozumel-info/taxi-rates/

Not knowing where you want to go makes it difficult to see whether or not you are reading the right fare.

Edited by crewsweeper