Formal wear for children

jensue1

I’m really nervous to ask this because I don’t want to start a dress code argument but.... this is the first time I will be cruising with children. We are cruising on royal princess in January out of Los Angeles. I assume there will be 2 formal nights. Could those of you who have/do cruise with children please give me an idea of what would be acceptable for a 11 year old boy and 14 year old boy to wear. We will have 12 and 14 year old girls with us but they’re sorted with dresses.

Really appreciate your advice.

My 12 year old son chooses to wear a suit on formal nights because he enjoys dressing up and he gets use of his suit for other occasions (attending the races etc). However I would not purchase a suit specifically for a cruise simply because they grow too quickly. I would consider dress pants and a long sleeve collared shirt appropriate. You can always add a tie to appear more formal.

Thanks. Obviously travelling from New Zealand and being away for a month luggage is an issue but also don’t want to offend anyone. He would normally wear a nice pair of dress jeans and a smart button up shirt but I realise jeans are out so will put in a pair of trousers. Thanks again.

We have cruised with our grandsons on HAL and Celebrity.  They are now 16 and 12.  On formal nights they would wear a long sleeve collared shirt and tie.  This year we also had our 6 year old grandson on a HAL Alaska cruise.  He also wore a shirt and tie like his cousins.  Absolutely no problems.  

12 hours ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

As long as they aren't wearing thongs - like I've seen, it's all good.

Are you serious?! Lol

thanks everyone for your comments. They are along the lines of what I was thinking. 

22 hours ago, WisRiver said:

We have cruised with our grandsons on HAL and Celebrity.  They are now 16 and 12.  On formal nights they would wear a long sleeve collared shirt and tie.  This year we also had our 6 year old grandson on a HAL Alaska cruise.  He also wore a shirt and tie like his cousins.  Absolutely no problems.  

No trousers?! 🤣🤣🤣

On 11/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, jensue1 said:

Thanks. Obviously travelling from New Zealand and being away for a month luggage is an issue but also don’t want to offend anyone. He would normally wear a nice pair of dress jeans and a smart button up shirt but I realise jeans are out so will put in a pair of trousers. Thanks again.

I’ve given up on jeans for travelling. They’re heavy, bulky, and take ages to dry. JMHO