Stairs vs Elevators

Hi All,

Just wonder how many of us use Stairs or the Elevators ??

Myself whom lives in a single level home,  does not do a lot of stairs..... where as on the ship it is stairs to everywhere.

I have found up stairs is a killer on the knees.... where as down is ok....

So tend to use Elevator to a trip to Skywalkers   7 decks

Breakfast / MDR 3 decks will use the stairs.....

Cheers Don 

Stairs. We get all family members involved, encouraging each other to use the stairs, even if we are going up 10 decks, and “elevator shaming” each other if any of us gets anywhere near an elevator door with the intention to go inside. 😂

• Like 4

Stairs for me 99% of the time. Hubby can go up 1-2 flights of stairs, but going downstairs is very hard for him. Much safer for him (and others) for him to use the elevator. We just meet at the elevator bank. Sometimes I'm waiting for him, sometimes he's waiting for me lol. Works for us. 

I agree that going upstairs is harder than going down!

Edited by Starshine95123
  • Like 1

I use a wheelchair so have no choice, I wish I did as I can wait a long long time for there to be enough room in an elevator.

I obviously don’t have any issue with anyone using elevators who can manage stairs, but sometimes when the 8th elevator has just closed it’s doors and I’m still waiting I do wish more would. The most annoying time for me it’s when it’s one deck or floor and the stairs are right there, I just want to run up them!

Edited by DebbieMacG
  • Like 5

3 or 4 floors, always the stairs. DW broke her ankle a couple of years back, but has stated using stars for a floor or two going up. She can't roll the ankle going down yet.

When she rides the elevator, I meet her at the floor. Rarely does she beat me.

• Like 1

My partner and I are both young(er) and able bodied. We take the stairs every chance we get. But, on the off chance we are up very early or very late and no one is around, we’ll take the elevators. Maybe once or twice per cruise, max. 

We have experienced the aggravation of getting stuck on an elevator from

deck 5 to deck 15 stopping at every floor. Not fun for an impatient type A person. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Andrew

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

I walk 10 miles a day for exercise. So on the cruise it’s the elevators for me. One other thing be sure to wash your hands after touching those hand railings on the stairs. They are covered with germs. 
Tony

Elevator buttons are covered with germs too 😀

• Like 1

I'm 72 and have been on 25 cruises of up to 30 days, and have never taken an elevator on a ship. On some of the bigger ships (I've been on several 4000 pax ships), you wind up doing 40 to 60 flights a day. Even if you never go to the gym that day, at least you know you've done some exercise. 

But, perhaps more importantly, you get to where you're going faster. 

• Like 1

Yes I will agreed stairs are quicker.....

Never use the hand rails with hands use elbow for a little balance...

I remember our first cruise went mad and explored most of the ship on the second day by the stairs...

Paid for it the next few days with sore knees.....

One thing one does it bad weather outside take a ride up to deck 14 and walk up and down all the corridors on each deck, down to deck 5 and one uses the stairs down...

Cheers Don

• Like 1

I don't think most people who use the elevators are lazy...most have some pain/discomfort issues that may not be visible to anyone else.    We both have very bad knees and backs, but sometimes manage to do one or two flights of stairs, both up and down.  Some days, especially in cold/rainy weather, even that isn't an option, so we put up with people glaring at us when we only do one floor.   When we do the stairs, we try to just touch the rail with elbows or forearms for balance - if that's not possible we wash hands as soon as we leave the stairs.   

• Like 4

I usually take the stairs both directions. I've been whole cruises without using an elevator. On the Crown last month, though, I was nursing sore Achilles and found that going down the stairs aggravated it. Climbing stairs didn't, so I would take the elevator if going down more than two flights and go up the stairs no matter how many flights it was.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Everything in the world is covered with germs.  The only way to stop contact w germs is to wear surgical gloves at all times.

DON

And then the germs are all on the gloves, so make sure you don't touch your face with the gloves!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

I don't think most people who use the elevators are lazy...most have some pain/discomfort issues that may not be visible to anyone else.    We both have very bad knees and backs, but sometimes manage to do one or two flights of stairs, both up and down.  Some days, especially in cold/rainy weather, even that isn't an option, so we put up with people glaring at us when we only do one floor.   When we do the stairs, we try to just touch the rail with elbows or forearms for balance - if that's not possible we wash hands as soon as we leave the stairs.   

I agree about how most people use elevators. My use of stairs varies.  It depends upon my current aches. This past May I could manage  two flights up and three or four flights down.  If I was on a cruise right now, I would be limited to the elevator. 

Your statement about people glaring at you when you do only one  flight reminded me of an experience I had in the Ladies Room on a cruise 12 years ago.   The only available stall was the handicap stall.  I hesitated to use it and then remembered that I actually needed to use it.   When I opened the door to leave the stall, there was an elderly woman in a wheel chair waiting to enter.  I smiled at her and she gave me a "dirty look" and she proceeded to look at me from top to bottom.  When she reached the bottom her mouth fell open as she caught sight of the removable cast that I was wearing.  She looked up at me in shock.  I am sad to say that my reaction was to give her the same look that she gave me.

Edited by Sanz
  • Like 1

Use the Gym for exercise on & off cruises . Because of arthritis both my wife & I use the ships elevators  . The recumbant   bikes use in the gym no problems  .Even leg exercises no problems  ;but ,steps are a huge problem for us , We are in our 80s

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kartgv said:

And then the germs are all on the gloves, so make sure you don't touch your face with the gloves!   

You also have to be very careful about how you take off your gloves as you have to assume that the outside of the gloves is contaminated.  I worked in a lab once where we had to wear full containment gear.  We had a specific procedure about how we were to take off the gloves and they trained us in that procedure.  We did wear full face protection so at least we did not have to worry about touching our faces.  I can assure you that it was not the most comfortable working environment.

DON

• Like 1