harveyb1:

you guys are the only ones to respond.

I guess no one else is concerned.

We are departing cruise in HK and

presently planning 2/3 days in Kowloon.

The question is will the Westerdam

and/or airlines have trouble entering

or leaving HK. If travellers have to be

diverted or delayed, what are the options?

I guess we have two months to figure

it out-‘suggest making all reservations

”cancellable”!

good luck

5 hours ago, riverdale60 said:

Hong kong Situation

harveyb1:

you guys are the only ones to respond.

I guess no one else is concerned.

We are departing cruise in HK and

presently planning 2/3 days in Kowloon.

The question is will the Westerdam

and/or airlines have trouble entering

or leaving HK. If travellers have to be

diverted or delayed, what are the options?

I guess we have two months to figure

it out-‘suggest making all reservations

”cancellable”!

good luck

If you read through the thread  “Is Hong Kong safe”?  on this forum, you’ll find responses to similar questions. There are also threads on TA that may help.

Our cruise disembarks in Hong Kong on 7 December. Many passengers have changed their plans - cutting short their time in Hong Kong at the end of the cruise, rebooking accommodation at hotels nearer the airport or  restricting sightseeing to in Macau and Lantau Island. 

I posted an identical question some months ago and the general response was that it was hard to predict what the situation would be in December. The reality is that it is much worse.

We have not been contacted by the cruise line about Hong Kong. 

We're on the Millennium sailing in a few weeks with embarkation on December 7th.  Our flight arrives at 5AM on the 7th and we're able to board the ship the same day.  Our ship doesn't leave until the 8th but if it doesn't get any better we will just take a taxi from the airport to Kai Tak terminal and stay on the ship.  We've been to Hong Kong before so are familiar with the area and thankfully my partner speaks Cantonese.  We've been watching the live coverage over the weekend to get a better idea of what is happening and where.  It will be hard to predict the protests areas in a few weeks time as they seem to change daily.  This past weekend most of the more problematic ones were taking place on the Kowloon side in TST and in and around the Poly University area.   Central (Hong Kong Island area) also has some office worker protests at lunch time but those appear to be more peaceful.   

I would agree that Lantau and Macau are generally safe options for sightseeing and probably the best bet from what I know now - but I would probably arrange private tours of those areas as public transit will be unreliable as MRT stations are closing pretty frequently depending on protests locations.    The South China Morning Post website is an english website which has transportation updates https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3022629/hong-kong-protests-latest-advisories-plan-your-day as well as news updates.  

We're hoping that things will calm and get better.  Its all we can do now as we really have no control other than just monitoring the situation as we get closer.   We haven't been to Lantau so will likely go there if we want to venture out, depending of course on what happens in the next few weeks.    

With a Costa ship visiting this weekend - turnaround/overnight - I'm using an incident map from yesterday to illustrate where some of the potential hotspots might be, and where they were taking place 24 hours ago ...  

There hasn't been any port disruption yet, some of the nearby MTR stations and inter-connected shopping mall complexes had been affected however.  Just be alert & think, act smartly - as I've written in the other thread.  Taxi to/from airport and cruise terminal (or a private $$ transfer) would be most practical, allow extra time - the route from/to HKIA should avoid most of these (marked by red line that I've drawn ... over highway/elevated urban bypass route with limited access.) 

The next several days might be quieter than lately due to this Sunday's local legislative / council elections for all the HK districts.  After Sunday evening ... anything goes, depending on the outcome & folk's responses, etc. Safe travel & happy crusing, I do ask to share any experience afterward for others that will be sailing after yours.  

HKMapLive-20Nov019-MornSS.jpg

Otherwise, future updates & comments, will be posted on that thread.  

Edited by mking8288

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

With a Costa ship visiting this weekend - turnaround/overnight - I'm using an incident map from yesterday to illustrate where some of the potential hotspots might be, and where they were taking place 24 hours ago ...  

HKMapLive-20Nov019-MornSS.jpg

Dear mking, can you supply a key for your map? Not sure what the doggy faces and dinosaur relate too?

Map legends - 

vehicle ... police patrol vehicles as reported

dog face... cops on location/foot patrol

dog sitting ... specialized riot arrest team, most feared, dressed in black

3 drops of fluid - water cannon truck

triangle symbol - incidents, arrests, tear gas, etc.

circle/slashed - road block/police checkpoints or detours

Flags (blue, black, orange) - police warnings - disperse, tear gas warning, force & live rounds possible if refused to obey, etc. bilingual signs raised by cops

Explode symbol - tear gas, pepper spray, rubber or beanbag rounds fired ... live rounds would be rare.

These are common ones used, not all seen on this screenshot. Mapping app banned by iOS but browser & Android version still active ... talk about freedom of speech, huh.

Tonight (live 10:30 local time) it's mostly indoors at targeted malls with sit-in, plus on "Main Street" in Yuen Long, N.T. - far upper left section, out of this map view. 

For those w/o cellular or wifi data in HK, I recommend finding a 7-11 stores, everywhere, as they sell prepaid visitor's Sim card, easy to activate & use, $15 to $20 USD or less, good for 5 to 7 days, more if refilled ... if the stay is more than 3/4 day, best value to stay fluid & current. 

"Each & every day is different" 

Screenshot_20191121-093607.png

Doing this on mobile, sorry for typo, mispell, etc.  🙏 

Edited by mking8288