Changing ships for B2B - process?

Ronsangel

DH and I will be taking 2 cruises in December, back to back but on different ships (Navigator and Explorer) out of Miami. Would anyone know the process for getting from one ship to the other? Can we walk between the two ships? I'm not familiar with PoM, so not sure how far apart the ships dock, or if you're permitted to walk around the Port. I assume we'll have to be off the Navigator long before we're able to board the Explorer. Wondering what we do with our luggage in between? Can we drop it off early to the porters?

Appreciate any guidance. Really wanted a B2B on the Explorer, but it's chartered the second week we're travelling. 

Your best bet is calling customer service (at least 3 times and take 2 out of 3 answers). They might suggest a city tour shore excursion between cruises. Have done several b2b on different ships, but stayed 1 or 2 days in a Miami. They used to comp us a room at the Hyatt.

You can probably delay leaving a Navigator until about 9:30.  By the time you get your bags and are outside the terminal i5 would be close to 10.  By the time you get to the terminal for Explorer it will be perfect timing for check in.  There’s construction of a new terminal between where the Navigator and the Explorer will dock so walking would be difficult.  If there are no shuttles just take a Taxi.

We’re doing the exact same between Navigator and Explorer with the switch in Black Friday.  We’re planning to stay on Navigator as late as possible then just take a taxi across the port.  Should be just a couple minutes ride, unless Royal happens to offer a shuttle.  Will report back if they do.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can probably delay leaving the Navigator until about 9:30.  By the time you get your bags and are outside the terminal it would be close to 10.  By the time you get to the terminal for Explorer it will be perfect timing for check in.  There’s construction of a new terminal between where the Navigator and the Explorer will dock so walking would be suicide.  If there are no shuttles just take a Taxi.

Fixed it for you.  😉  😄  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I believe that is referred to as a side by side, not B2B

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

any links to support that? LMK as I've never found one unless it's a link back to a post made on CC.

still a b2b even on 2 different ships.

From Cruise Critic staff: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2327

What are back-to-back cruises?

Back-to-back cruises are two cruises booked consecutively, whether on the same ship or on different ships. You'll want to let someone at the front desk know you're a back-to-back cruiser during the first part of your trip so arrangements can be made for you during the changeover day between the two sailings.

Editor's note: For the purposes of this article, we're focusing on back-to-back sailings on the same ship. If you're thinking of booking back to back on two separate ships, please skip directly to the last three questions below.

We went from in Miami from Enchantment to Navigator 2 or 3 years ago.  My husband uses a cane and there was NO way we could go through the crowds and walk the distant.  It is very congested with people and cars and too difficult for us with luggage.  So - we got off and Hailed a taxi - told him we were only going to the beginning of the pier and would tip him well.  Taxi driver was not too excited to take us - but we gave him the tip up front (better the tip you know than the tip you don't know - LOL). Even though it was only March- it was very warm.  While waiting in line to do check-in on Navigator, a young couple was behind me - very sweaty and tired.  They were just off Enchantment, too, but walked to Navigator with their luggage and were sorry they did.  So - my advice - taxi it from one ship to another!  Enjoy - we loved our "B2B" on 2 different ships!

My warning, if you buy any alcohol, on the first cruise, they will take it from you on the second, and if it is like one we bought was sort of a handmade banana vanilla rum from St Maarten, we didn’t get it back.  The security personnel sucked at Port Everglades.

jc

• Like 1

It is nice to see that people have been offered assistance when moving from one ship to another at the same port.  We went from freedom to explorer in Port Canaveral in January 2015 and were offered NO assistance.  We were told pre-cruise, as well as on the ship, that we were on our own.

OP- if you learn once on board that there is no assistance, the suggestion of being one the last of the ship, then taking a taxi to the new terminal is likely your best option.

Hope all goes well

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can probably delay leaving a Navigator until about 9:30.  By the time you get your bags and are outside the terminal i5 would be close to 10.  By the time you get to the terminal for Explorer it will be perfect timing for check in.  There’s construction of a new terminal between where the Navigator and the Explorer will dock so walking would be difficult.  If there are no shuttles just take a Taxi.

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

We did a S2S in FLL in 2015, they provided a shuttle we arranged it with the Diamond concierge on the Oasis.  I would guess that there were 30 people in the shuttle on our cruise.

jc

Did a consecutive cruise a few years ago and this is exactly what we did - got off the 'old' ship last and then got on the 'new' ship first, having been shuttled around in the same way my good friend JC says!

Hi Last year we did a B2B2B on Allure and Navigator in Miami.  Guest Services seemed a little clueless about what arrangements would be made but we were willing to take a taxi.  They just told us someone off the ship would direct us to a shuttle to Navigator.  After a bit of asking around as the staff didn't seem to know anything we met up with another couple doing the same thing and they put us on the bus that takes passengers to the airport which was a good solution.

That was ideal for us and nice of RCI to help us out.You definitely can't walk from Terminal A as there is no walkway and you'd be taking your life in your hands.

2 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Did a consecutive cruise a few years ago and this is exactly what we did - got off the 'old' ship last and then got on the 'new' ship first, having been shuttled around in the same way my good friend JC says!

Now I am curious as to whom ziggazagga17 is? 😉

jc

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

My warning, if you buy any alcohol, on the first cruise, they will take it from you on the second, and if it is like one we bought was sort of a handmade banana vanilla rum from St Maarten, we didn’t get it back.  The security personnel sucked at Port Everglades.

jc

OP isn't sailing from Port Everglades.  But they will take alcohol other than wine from you on the second cruise.  Hang on to your receipt.

In the past 30 days I did two S2S in a row in Miami.  Both times I talked to Customer Service.  When I went from the Navigator to the Empress, they told me where to go to catch a free shuttle.  When I went from the Empress to the Symphony, they gave us a special luggage tag number and we were one of the last numbers to leave the ship.  They had a special shuttle van with a luggage trailer that took us to the Symphony.  It depends on how many passengers need to transfer on how they do it.  You can not walk.  There are no sidewalks by the construction at terminal B.