Civitavecchia shore excursions

lasallelasalle

We are visiting Civitaveccia, Italy Sept 08,2020 aboard Celebrity. We have visited Rome before and experienced all of the must see major sites. We would like to do something else or go somewhere else, rent a car, etc during our 12 hours in port.   Any suggestions or experiences  are very much appreciated.  

Ostia Antica or Hadrian’s Villa are within reach - if you are interested in archeology.

However, considering the time and nuisance of getting a rental car, I would suggest re-thinking the notion of having already seen everything worth seeing  in Rome.  A little research is likely to come up with a few creative ideas.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would suggest re-thinking the notion of having already seen everything worth seeing  in Rome.  A little research is likely to come up with a few creative ideas.

Rome has dozens of sites that would be considered "must sees" in any other place but that are frequently overshadowed by the superstar attractions (e.g., Vatican, Colosseum).

I am headed to Rome in a few days and will spend 10 days in the eternal city. I cannot even number how many times I've been (certainly more than a dozen) and I still have found exciting new things to see. 

I wonder if the OP has:

• Visited the Baths of Caracalla, Domus Aurea, or the Circus Maximus, all of which have fantastic new augmented reality tours
  • Walked on the Appian Way to see the Roman tombs and at least one of the sets of catacombs there
  • Seen the treasures in the Capitoline museum, including one of the single most impressive bronze statues from antiquity, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius
  • Visited Castel Sant'Angelo -- initially the tomb of a Roman emperor, later a hideout for Popes
  • Stepped inside some of the many beautiful churches of Rome that have splendid artwork in situ or interesting history or architecture:  San Giovanni in Laterano, Santa Maria Maggiore, San Clemente, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria del Popolo....
  • Toured some of the wonderful palazzos that are open to the public: Palazzo (and Galleria) Doria Pamphilj, Palazzo Farnese, Palazzo Altemps (now part of the Museo Nazionale di Roma); Palazzo Barberini, Palazzo Colonna...
  • And so much more:  Keats-Shelley house at the Spanish steps, the Ara Pacis (altar of Peace from the time of Emperor Augustus), the Museum of the Imperial Forums, Aqueduct park, the "Mouth of Truth"....

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rome has dozens of sites that would be considered "must sees" in any other place but that are frequently overshadowed by the superstar attractions (e.g., Vatican, Colosseum).

I am headed to Rome in a few days and will spend 10 days in the eternal city. I cannot even number how many times I've been (certainly more than a dozen) and I still have found exciting new things to see. 

I wonder if the OP has:

• Visited the Baths of Caracalla, Domus Aurea, or the Circus Maximus, all of which have fantastic new augmented reality tours
  • Walked on the Appian Way to see the Roman tombs and at least one of the sets of catacombs there
  • Seen the treasures in the Capitoline museum, including one of the single most impressive bronze statues from antiquity, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius
  • Visited Castel Sant'Angelo -- initially the tomb of a Roman emperor, later a hideout for Popes
  • Stepped inside some of the many beautiful churches of Rome that have splendid artwork in situ or interesting history or architecture:  San Giovanni in Laterano, Santa Maria Maggiore, San Clemente, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria del Popolo....
  • Toured some of the wonderful palazzos that are open to the public: Palazzo (and Galleria) Doria Pamphilj, Palazzo Farnese, Palazzo Altemps (now part of the Museo Nazionale di Roma); Palazzo Barberini, Palazzo Colonna...
  • And so much more:  Keats-Shelley house at the Spanish steps, the Ara Pacis (altar of Peace from the time of Emperor Augustus), the Museum of the Imperial Forums, Aqueduct park, the "Mouth of Truth"....

Good STARTER LIST -  for people who haven’t quite finished “doing Rome” in their first few weeks there. I would add Santa Maria degli Angeli - by Michelangelo - built in 16th Century around the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian - just happens to be a personal favorite.

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Good STARTER LIST -  for people who haven’t quite finished “doing Rome” in their first few weeks there. I would add Santa Maria degli Angeli - by Michelangelo - built in 16th Century around the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian - just happens to be a personal favorite.

Excellent choice.

One of the things I love about Rome is how they have reinvented and inhabited so many of their ancient spaces. Part of Diocletian's vast baths became the church you mentioned under Michelangelo's creative genius. Another part housed an observatory, and the exercise area is now a pleasant green space with statuary near Termini Station. The great domed hall (still with its original dome) is also part of the Museo Nazionale and houses some large-scale Roman and Etruscan pieces, including several complete tombs -- well worth visiting.

Of course, cruisemom42 has a great list!  She always finds something to visit that she hasn't done  before.  I do get a chuckle when I see people writing that they have already seen all the sights in a city...

She left off my favorite church in Rome: Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.  Right behind The Pantheon, so it's on the major Tourist Track.  One of only Gothic churches in Rome (rather than Baroque). It looks absolutely plain on the outside (not counting the cute Bernini Elephant sculpture outside), but it's the inside that wows.  I visit that church every time I'm in Rome.  I'm not Catholic, but there's something about that church that just calls to me. Beautiful blue ceiling.  A Michelangelo statue.  Tomb of St. Catherine of Siena.  Beautiful windows.   Take a few minutes to visit and you won't be disappointed.

If you are a ceramics freak, Orvieto is a good place to drive to.  That area of Umbria is one of the major centers of all those beautiful ceramics you see.  I could spend hours and thousands of Euro going through all the shops (I had to limit myself to 100EU, though - I buy drawer knobs to decorate my kitchen and bathroom).  The Duomo in Orvieto is beautiful.  I must have taken about 200 photos of little intricacies in the exterior.  

• Like 1

@lasallelasalle   Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum and welcome to Cruise Critic! 👍 

However since your inquiry concerns one particular port & Country, I have moved your thread to the  Ports of Call - Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - Italy Ports forum where it will be on-topic. Now that you are on this new forum, please browse through the other threads here looking for those related to your inquiry. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers regarding the same inquiry.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Categories list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This will help the members that know the information and they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers.

For finding your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . Please note tour/transportation share requests may only be posted on the Roll Call thread for your cruise sail date and in no other forum.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this will be helpful to a new member and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

One thing to consider is that picking up and dropping off a rental car is likely to eat up anywhere from one to two hours - that, a with drive to Orvieto - about two hours each way - will have used up about half of your 12 hours (and you will lose more if you are smart enough to allow some time for traffic or other delay).

Go back to Rome.

One thing to consider is that picking up and dropping off a rental car is likely to eat up anywhere from one to two hours - that, a with drive to Orvieto - about two hours each way - will have used up about half of your 12 hours (and you will lose more if you are smart enough to allow some time for traffic or other delay).

Go back to Rome.

So, that's maybe 5 hours in Orvieto, after driving through the Umbrian countryside...  What's wrong with that???  

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

So, that's maybe 5 hours in Orvieto, after driving through the Umbrian countryside...  What's wrong with that???  

Actually, Orvieto is just barely inside the southwest edge of Umbria - virtually all aOf the drive would have been in Lazio - not bad, but hardly what one thinks of when “Italian countryside” is mentioned.   My point, however, really was that it might be a better investment of that time to spend a small part of it on the way to Rome, and the rest of it in Rome.

Edited by navybankerteacher

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, Orvieto is just barely inside the southwest edge of Umbria - virtually all aOf the drive would have been in Lazio - not bad, but hardly what one thinks of when “Italian countryside” is mentioned.   My point, however, really was that it might be a better investment of that time to spend a small part of it on the way to Rome, and the rest of it in Rome.

the OP is looking for something to do besides Rome.  So, why keep promoting Rome?   I've done the drive from Rome to Orvieto specifically to look for ceramics.  It was a nice drive.  I've also done gone through the area via train.

Do you have any positive suggestions for the OP other than sticking to Rome?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

the OP is looking for something to do besides Rome.  So, why keep promoting Rome?   I've done the drive from Rome to Orvieto specifically to look for ceramics.  It was a nice drive.  I've also done gone through the area via train.

Do you have any positive suggestions for the OP other than sticking to Rome?  

When someone has just 12 hours to spend and  is within an an easy train ride to what most informed people see as a collection of the most incredible sights in the world, it is not unreasonable to suggest that he rethink a plan which would use up a major chunk of his time on driving through a fairly unremarkable area.

I happen to believe that the OP might want to reconsider his unusual notion that, having been to Rome before, and having experienced “all the must see major sites”, Rome has nothing more to offer.

Do you have any objective reason to want to censor such suggestions being made in a relevant chat room like this?

4 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

No one is suggesting censorship, but geez you only needed to say it once. No need to harp on it.  Glad you enjoyed Rome, but it's not everyone's favorite destination.  I saw what I wanted to see on my port day and have no desire to return. 

Congratulations on being able to “do” Rome on a port day.

I’ll have to check out Redmond some time.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

When someone has just 12 hours to spend and  is within an an easy train ride to what most informed people see as a collection of the most incredible sights in the world, it is not unreasonable to suggest that he rethink a plan which would use up a major chunk of his time on driving through a fairly unremarkable area.

I happen to believe that the OP might want to reconsider his unusual notion that, having been to Rome before, and having experienced “all the must see major sites”, Rome has nothing more to offer.

Do you have any objective reason to want to censor such suggestions being made in a relevant chat room like this?

So, you are now calling people who do not share your obsesson with Rome not informed??? 😉

I guess I was also unusual when I decided to drive from Rome to Orvieto rather than stay in Rome?  I knew the importance of Orvieto in the history of Italian ceramics and wanted to check it out, as I also did Deruta and, then on another day, Montelupo out of Pisa.  I spent far more time in Montelupo than I did Pisa (I won't count the hours I spent the laundromat in Pisa). Rome does not have the ceramics history that I was interested in.  I am totally cognizant of the fact that Rome has multitudes of antiquities and history that I could spend a lifetime looking at.  But Italy is not just Rome and not just Roman history.  

The OP was asking for some alternatives...  I saw nothing that indicated that the OP thought that Rome had nothing more to offer.  Not everyone wants to dive deep into a historical site, no matter how "incredible" someone else may believe it is.  

I blew through CT in a brief day - saw nothing worth looking at - kept going to much more interesting Massachusetts.  A place that I'd like to visit again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

So, you are now calling people who do not share your obsesson with Rome not informed??? 😉

I guess I was also unusual when I decided to drive from Rome to Orvieto rather than stay in Rome?  I knew the importance of Orvieto in the history of Italian ceramics and wanted to check it out, as I also did Deruta and, then on another day, Montelupo out of Pisa.  I spent far more time in Montelupo than I did Pisa (I won't count the hours I spent the laundromat in Pisa). Rome does not have the ceramics history that I was interested in.  I am totally cognizant of the fact that Rome has multitudes of antiquities and history that I could spend a lifetime looking at.  But Italy is not just Rome and not just Roman history.  

The OP was asking for some alternatives...  I saw nothing that indicated that the OP thought that Rome had nothing more to offer.  Not everyone wants to dive deep into a historical site, no matter how "incredible" someone else may believe it is.  

I blew through CT in a brief day - saw nothing worth looking at - kept going to much more interesting Massachusetts.  A place that I'd like to visit again...

GIVE IT A BREAK!!!

A poster asked about alternatives to Rome for a day in port in Civitavecchia, saying that he had already seen all “the must see major sites”.  And as he asked for suggestions. I was rash enough to simply suggest that he consider seeing a bit more of Rome rather than using up much of his time drivin through unexciting areas.

I am sorry that you feel that  I was out of line in offering an opinion (and somewhat curious as to why you felt it necessary to mention your disinterest in Connecticut — which seems far more off topic than my suggesting he reconsider one of his options) — have you considered annoyance-management therapy?

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Not everyone wants to dive deep into a historical site, no matter how "incredible" someone else may believe it is.  

Be fair now -- Rome is a lot more than just a historical site. It's a living breathing city with great food traditions, art and culture, shopping (from high-end designers to antiques to flea markets)....and more than its fair share of Irish pubs. 

Edited by cruisemom42

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Be fair now -- Rome is a lot more than just a historical site. It's a living breathing city with great food traditions, art and culture, shopping (from high-end designers to antiques to flea markets)....and more than its fair share of Irish pubs. 

I am not sure there is a simple question of fairness — there seems to be some underlying antipathy being expressed here which has very little to do with the matter raised by OP.

I am not sure there is a simple question of fairness — there seems to be some underlying antipathy being expressed here which has very little to do with the matter raised by OP.

What is your underlying antipathy?

I LOVE Rome.  I've been there many times for more than just a quick port call.  Yes, there's more than historical sites.  Cruisemom42 knows I'm there when it comes to food.  It seems that someone with biases toward anything but Rome wants to be sure that any ideas other than staying in Rome are nixed.   The OP asked for ideas outside of Rome - we offered some.   Some of us like to visit outlying areas.  I know I tried to even convince cruisemom42 to venture outside of the Centro Storico to the end of the #8 Tram, but still in Rome, to a wonderful restaurant, but she said she'd rather stay in the Centro.  

As for why mention CT, I believe someone replied to maple leaves with the following:

"Congratulations on being able to “do” Rome on a port day.

I’ll have to check out Redmond some time." 

OP:  Go where you want to, do what you want.  A few of us gave you ideas outside of Rome, like you asked for.  Cruisemom42 gave some good ideas for additional things to do in Rome.  

Give it a rest.  

• Like 1

The OP hasn't returned, which is unfortunate. Hopefully we did not scare them off.

To me, it's one thing when someone clearly has no affinity with a place or intention of returning. However, on the flip side, sometimes travelers -- and I'd like to suggest ESPECIALLY cruise travelers -- get a sense of "one and done" with Rome when they take one of those whirlwind "all day/all sites/all singing and dancing" port tours, whether offered by the ship or a private tour. Yes, you see a lot. But even if your tour is a splendid one, you are not getting the best of Rome. You end up seeing a lot of unconnected sites, you see shoulder-to-shoulder people and long lines, and the traffic of criss-crossing Rome. It's nothing like being able to see Rome in a more leisurely way and grouping sites into meaningful chunks that relate to each other. Also, as I said in my first post, Rome has so many places to see and things to do that inexperienced travelers sometimes just don't realize what they HAVEN'T done....

If someone wants to go to Orvieto or Tarquinia or Lake Bracciano instead of Rome, it's hard to argue against that approach for a single port day. You probably can get more of a sense of Orvieto in a day than of Rome.  What I'm saying is somewhat different -- Rome is worth more than a day or two or three. Make time to see more than just the "headliners".  I think that holds true for any major city. Often you have to give it a chance to grow on you. (I feel this way about Naples, for example... I like it much more after spending some time there than I ever did as a quick pass through day.)

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I know I tried to even convince cruisemom42 to venture outside of the Centro Storico to the end of the #8 Tram, but still in Rome, to a wonderful restaurant, but she said she'd rather stay in the Centro.  

I think you may be misinterpreting my comment. When I'm in Rome, I am sightseeing all day long. I walk miles each and every day. I usually want to have dinner within a fixed radius of my hotel, and that's one reason why I pick the Pantheon area -- plenty of really great options nearby, some with wonderful views or settings and a lovely but short walk there and back.  

Lest you think I have myopia, I've visited a good many terrific sites and towns in Lazio over the years: Orvieto, Cerveteri, Tarquinia, Tivoli, Gaeta, Tarracina, Sperlonga, Palestrina, Frascati, Alatri, Ostia -- some more than once. I just talk about Rome the most because I feel I have knowledge to share and it's what most people ask about...

Edited by cruisemom42

On 11/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, cruisemom42 said:

The OP hasn't returned, which is unfortunate. Hopefully we did not scare them off.

To me, it's one thing when someone clearly has no affinity with a place or intention of returning. However, on the flip side, sometimes travelers -- and I'd like to suggest ESPECIALLY cruise travelers -- get a sense of "one and done" with Rome when they take one of those whirlwind "all day/all sites/all singing and dancing" port tours, whether offered by the ship or a private tour. Yes, you see a lot. But even if your tour is a splendid one, you are not getting the best of Rome. You end up seeing a lot of unconnected sites, you see shoulder-to-shoulder people and long lines, and the traffic of criss-crossing Rome. It's nothing like being able to see Rome in a more leisurely way and grouping sites into meaningful chunks that relate to each other. Also, as I said in my first post, Rome has so many places to see and things to do that inexperienced travelers sometimes just don't realize what they HAVEN'T done....

If someone wants to go to Orvieto or Tarquinia or Lake Bracciano instead of Rome, it's hard to argue against that approach for a single port day. You probably can get more of a sense of Orvieto in a day than of Rome.  What I'm saying is somewhat different -- Rome is worth more than a day or two or three. Make time to see more than just the "headliners".  I think that holds true for any major city. Often you have to give it a chance to grow on you. (I feel this way about Naples, for example... I like it much more after spending some time there than I ever did as a quick pass through day.)

I think you may be misinterpreting my comment. When I'm in Rome, I am sightseeing all day long. I walk miles each and every day. I usually want to have dinner within a fixed radius of my hotel, and that's one reason why I pick the Pantheon area -- plenty of really great options nearby, some with wonderful views or settings and a lovely but short walk there and back.  

Lest you think I have myopia, I've visited a good many terrific sites and towns in Lazio over the years: Orvieto, Cerveteri, Tarquinia, Tivoli, Gaeta, Tarracina, Sperlonga, Palestrina, Frascati, Alatri, Ostia -- some more than once. I just talk about Rome the most because I feel I have knowledge to share and it's what most people ask about...

I know you talk about Rome because of your fondness of it.  When I have the money, I keep going  back myself.  But, when someone asks for other places, I won't hesitate to offer outside of Rome.  I won't demean someone for thinking they've seen all that needs to be seen (not talking about you).  But, some have seen all they WANT to see, and we need to respect that.   We can offer other alternatives in Rome, but not say that they are "uninformed" if they want to do something different.  All I was saying.  

I didn't misinterpret your wanting to stay in the Centro.  I was just trying to recommend some new places to you.  I, too, walk all day long in Rome, especially since my company's hotels are not directly in the Centro Storico.  But, I did not mind that tram ride and a 1 block walk to the restaurant.  I thought you may think the same.   Remember, I'm a "food tourist."  While I research the "sights", I mega research food and try to find one or two very interesting restaurants or markets (I can spend a full day every time I'm Florence at the Mercato Centrale).  You know one of my favorites is right at the Pantheon and another two at Campo di Fiori, so I do eat in the Centro frequently.  I also have that certain affinity for a pizza joint that is a Metro ride away...   

Naples - all I think about Naples are my ex's family there...  Not even the Pizza would entice me to visit there!!! 😉

Edited by slidergirl