Process for getting off ship at ports

Dreams42Day

My family and I will be on the Getaway in a couple weeks. We are going to Harvest Caye, Cozumel, Honduras, and Belize. We have excursions at each port that are not scheduled through the cruise ship. Was is the process for getting off at each port. Will we need to get in line early in order not to miss our excursions?

Thanks-

Heather

You list Harvest Caye and Belize, I think these are the same stops.  If your sailing is the Dec 1 Getaway I am also on that sailing and all of those ports should be docked ports, so getting off the ship should be pretty simple.  However, you mention third party excursions.  To take a third party excursion in Harvest Caye, you will first have to get to the mainland, which requires a ferry that will need to be booked on board and will have a set departure time.

55 minutes ago, sweetgregoryps said:

Do they let you take water or drinks off of the ship in Harvest Caye ?? (Just asking,, assuming the answer NO !)

Yes. No problem. The island and beach are cash. If you are going to buy drinks from a beach cart, bring cash. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. No problem. The island and beach are cash. If you are going to buy drinks from a beach cart, bring cash. 

Is this a recent change?  During our stop at HC, we bought drinks and lunch from the server for our pool cabana, and I paid the entire bill with a debit card.  I left the tip in cash.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The entire island is not cash only.  There is a jewelry store with cute little charms that make great souvenirs.  They take Visa/Mastercard, but not Discover. The worker told me that no one on the island could take Discover.    

• Like 1

Dreams42Day I noticed you posted on the November 24 Getaway roll call thread. If that is indeed your sailing you will be calling on Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye and Costa Maya. All four ports have cruise ship piers. Once the ship is along side and cleared by local officials all you need to do is walk off the ship. Make sure you bring your ship card and photo ID.

You should pay very close attention to your stop in Roatan Honduras on November 27th. The port schedule for Coxen Hole shows two ships scheduled to arrive that day, the NCL Breakaway and the RCCL Liberty of the Seas. The dock at Coxen Hole only accommodates one ship so the other ship will anchor and tender passengers in. Which ship will dock and which will tender is unknown to me. 

• Like 1

I was on Breakaway at these ports in October (your 4th port should be Cozumel.)  The only advice I can give is the announcement to go ashore was typically given 15-30 minutes AFTER they cleared the ship and let people go ashore.

So if you want to be off quickly, be in the Atrium on deck soon after you see the ship tying up to the dock.  Watch the line at forward stairs.  get in it when it starts to get longer and follow when it starts moving down the stairs.

in Roatan, your outside excursions typically line up outside the gates on the road.

in Harvest Caye, as was mentioned, you have to get ferry tickets for everyone (can arrange on the ship at the excursion desk or when you arrive.) Excursions meet at the ferry dock in Placencia (mainland.)

In Costa Maya you have to get outside the gate (long convoluted walk to get out) and maybe take a taxi or the open air tram if you are going to the beach area.

In Cozumel you cross the pedestrian bridge and need directions from your provider. The outside excursion buses and taxi stand is ground floor at the back of the mall. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, Paul Bogle said:

Dreams42Day I noticed you posted on the November 24 Getaway roll call thread. If that is indeed your sailing you will be calling on Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye and Costa Maya. All four ports have cruise ship piers. Once the ship is along side and cleared by local officials all you need to do is walk off the ship. Make sure you bring your ship card and photo ID.

You should pay very close attention to your stop in Roatan Honduras on November 27th. The port schedule for Coxen Hole shows two ships scheduled to arrive that day, the NCL Breakaway and the RCCL Liberty of the Seas. The dock at Coxen Hole only accommodates one ship so the other ship will anchor and tender passengers in. Which ship will dock and which will tender is unknown to me. 

Two ships one pier all things being equal the larger ship gets the pier ***

*** least inconvenience to the most guests

But the ship scheduled to be at the port/pier the longest period of time is favored for the pier ***

*** usually the first ship arriving gets the pier

Now take out the Ouija board - magic eight ball - throw a few blindfolded darts at a revolving piñata  %&$#@

Then there are the contract arrangements made between the Port Authority and a Cruise Line.