Best floor for Aft Balcony?

nhtravels

We are looking at booking a cruise (LA to Miami) on the Bliss for 1/21.  Which floors are better for maximum viewing?  Upper, lower or right in the middle?  Leaning towards a Haven (currently there are cabins on 9, 12 and 15 all with the large balcony).  

Any input is welcome!

1 hour ago, nhtravels said:

We are looking at booking a cruise (LA to Miami) on the Bliss for 1/21.  Which floors are better for maximum viewing?  Upper, lower or right in the middle?  Leaning towards a Haven (currently there are cabins on 9, 12 and 15 all with the large balcony).  

Any input is welcome!

If you're talking about viewing during your transit through the Panama Canal the last thing you want to do is just stay planted on your balcony regardless of where it's located...aft...midships..forward. There's a lot to see. You want to be moving around to get views from many vantage points. Probably an aft balcony is the worst balcony location if you are just going to spend the whole transit in one spot.

29 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

I'm glad I asked.  I just assumed it would be better.  I guess I have a quite a bit of research to do!

Forward-facing cabins would be considered the most desirable during the transit, but as I said earlier there's lots to see in every direction and that's why you don't want to be glued to a forward-facing seat either.

If you want to know about the relatively desirability of balcony cabins on the Bliss in general, not just solely for Panama Canal transit viewing purposes, you should ask on the NCL board. My reply to your original question was restricted to desirability solely during the hours of your Panama Canal transit. 

• Thanks 1

I appreciate it.  I would have booked the Aft thinking we were getting one of the best.  And instead, seems like it is money not worth spending!  

I knew if I asked on this board I'd find some good input.  Now to start my homework on the journey of the canal!  

Bliss's sister Joy is in the canal today.  She has the bow open for viewing:  She is coming up to the Atlantic Bridge, and will bear to the left to the channel for the (new) Agua Clara Locks:

enhance

Now she is in the second lock, ready to transit into the third lock.  Notice the view forward:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And the view aft where the action is not.

Edited by Essiesmom

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

And the view oft where the action is not.

The whole sequence of pictures paints pretty clear picture in my opinion of how much less interesting a transit through the new lock is compared to a transit through the old locks. Having tugs guide the ship just isn't the same as the "mules" riding the rails on both sides of the ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The whole sequence of pictures paints pretty clear picture in my opinion of how much less interesting a transit through the new lock is compared to a transit through the old locks. Having tugs guide the ship just isn't the same as the "mules" riding the rails on both sides of the ship.

I agree, but I'm glad I've done both.  EM

I think the new locks are certainly worth the while for the trip, but I would recommend the original locks if you have never transited the Canal before.  The original locks are more interesting for all the reasons already mentioned, another reason is you are able to watch the ship in the opposite lane.  Lots more to look at while you are in the locks.

I agree with everything that's been said above  -- an aft-facing cabin is not ideal for the day in the Canal, nor should anyone, regardless of cabin location, spend the transit in one spot.  I'll also add that, if you decide you want to be out in the bow for the first set of locks, you'd better get down there really, really early, unless you are quite tall and can see over the people in front of you.  Also, those crowds in the bow tend to thin out as the day goes on.

EM: thanks for those photos of the Joy in the Canal.  She sure is huge!

Great pics @Essiesmom and definitely gives me new thoughts.  Maybe DH and I need to look at a smaller ship to hit the old locks!   

I did just order the Path Between the Seas, so we can get a better understanding of the Canal system and all it's glory..  

Trying to check off the Bucket List trips ... while we both can!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:52 PM, nhtravels said:

I'm glad I asked.  I just assumed it would be better.  I guess I have a quite a bit of research to do!

As part of  your homework, take a look at post #7 in this thread.  Now who is enjoying the view more, those on the front of the ship or those on the aft part of the ship in the background?

Would you rather be standing in a five deep line-up at the rail of the Norwegian ship or relaxing in your chair on your balcony with a nice drink in the Princess ship?

Edited by RocketMan275