Boots in Antarctica

Champlain

We will be sailing on Silver Cloud on February 18 from Ushuaia to Capetown.  Does anyone know if Cloud has boots to borrow?  When we went to the Arctic on Explorer, they had boots.  We don't want to rent boots for $80 but we'll definitely need to come up with something if Cloud doesn't have them.

@Champlain Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for your post on the Ask a Cruise Question forum and welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! 👍 I see it has been a few years since you posted on the boards.

However since your inquiry concerns one particular ship with one particular cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Silversea Cruises forum where it will be on topic. Also, the majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed or will be sailing your ship and itinerary frequent this forum.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you came back to post! We have a new "look" due to the software change in October 2018. emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Categories list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This will help the members that know the information and they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers.

For finding fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . Please note all tour/transportation share requests may only be posted on the Roll Call thread for your cruise sail date and in no other forum.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and so glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

Look under the Antarctica page on the forum - several threads on gear

we are going on Cloud on Dec 10

we purchased boots from Amazon for $50 - Hisea was the brand.  It was recommended by someone else on Antarctica forum.  I like having them ahead of time and being able to check the fit.  We tried them on with the thick socks we purchased - mine are fine, but my husband takes the insole out for a more comfortable fit.  

we also found waterproof pants on Amazon for less than renting from SS.  Look for ones with zippers or snaps at the ankle rather than velcro - apparently on some stops the velcro is a problem as seeds and grasses and other contaminants have to be cleaned off.

Hi, I'm on the Ush-Cape Town voyage also and I have bought my own boots. I have very fussy feet so needed to make sure boots fitted properly and are comfortable.

Hope to meet you on this voyage!

Cheers

ging466 (aka Jennifer)

We went to Antarctica in 2018 with Silversea. They gave us the option to rent the boots in advance through Silversea's supplier (on their website)…..or you could purchase them and bring your own. We purchased ours.  We are going to the Arctic next summer so will use them again. The boots that we purchased are the same boots (Bogs) that we could have rented.  They are knee high, insulated and waterproof. The reason you need this type of boot is because you are going to be stepping out of a zodiac boat into the water when you walk ashore on the landings.  For the people who rented them, they were on the ship in the cabin when you boarded. They had lots of them onboard so you could swap for the correct size if you pre-ordered the wrong size. The boots were tagged and stored in the area where you put them on and took them off, not in your cabin. As you returned to the ship from the landings you had to go through a sort of a "car wash machine" for your boots to scrub off the penguin guano. Then you had to disinfect them.  I attached a photo that shows the zodiac boats at one of the landings. Boots with zippers or snaps don't seem like they would work. We wore the boots with one pair of thick wool socks and our feet were never cold.

https://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Womens-Classic-Waterproof-Insulated/dp/B000TH8SV2/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=bogs+waterproof+boots+women&qid=1573875846&sr=8-7

Zodiacs.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carol, answered the Boots question exceptionally well adding wonderful word pictures to pair with her nice Antarctica photo.

Also bought Bogs boots (Amazon) this spring in prep for the Arctic voyage on the Cloud in June/July.  Very glad I have them to use on USH to Capetown on the Cloud this coming February.

Champlain, there are a few of us that plan an informal meet & greet at 6pm on February 29th at 6pm in the Panorama Lounge.  You r welcome to join us, pls see this link:

10 hours ago, briar14 said:

We are on the January 4 Cloud cruise and have rented boots.

Hope you’ll join the Roll Call for this voyage here; 

Two members of our group enjoy Regent immensely, like you and your husband.  We’ve had this voyage booked since 2017 and it seems a little surreal that this voyage is only 7-weeks from today.

• Like 1

Thank you, Stumblefoot! Roll Call for Silver Cloud shows date of January 10, and I couldn’t get the link you posted to work. Have wanted to go to Antarctica for a long time. Everything fell into place this Fall. We look forward to meeting you onboard! In the meantime, we leave for a Regent TA on the 19th.

Well shoot!  I’m sorry the link didn’t work.  But, very glad you’ve been able to secure a booking for what should be an exceptional itinerary.  I imagine we’ll stick out like a sore thumb and be rather easy to spot as we’re a family of three.  Our daughter, Silver Princess, is joining us so we can properly celebrate her 21st birthday!  😁

Enjoy your Regent crossing and we’ll see you at the bottom of the world.

• Like 1

Spent nearly two weeks in the Arctic on the Silver Cloud in June/July this year making numerous wet landings in Svalbard, Norway.  Found using foot liner socks, wool hiking socks and Hot Hands Foot Warmers  https://hothands.com/  with BoG classic boots (insulated) worked well (feet were toasty during every landing, trek on land)

• Like 1