Questions regarding Australian customs etc.

cece50

We are arriving in Sydney prior to our cruise Sydney to Auckland.  Is anyone familiar with customs......do we really need a letter from our doctors describing our prescription medications or is having them in their pharmacy issued containers sufficient?    Also, with the restrictive Australian smoking policies, will the Connoisseur Lounge be open during this cruise.  We heard cruises from Australia forbid those areas from operating.  My husband enjoys an occasional cigar and was hoping to bring a few from home or enjoy the cigars offered in the lounge.   I will ask my TA to look into it, but thought I would ask for first hand knowledge.   Thanks. 

I have to laugh when I think about this one which wasn't funny at all at the time.   When I filled out the AU entrance visa questionnaire several years ago,  the question was phased "Are you carrying drugs?"  Well of course I said no since my strongest drug was cholesterol med.  I was pulled from the line & my suitcase thoroughly searched because, hello, I'm not young & of course on "drugs."  I explained that I thought that meant the illicit kind but nooooo, that's your garden variety high blood pressure kind.  So be aware of this question if it's still phrased this way.  Not a bad idea to take a printed list of your meds.

2 hours ago, cece50 said:

We are arriving in Sydney prior to our cruise Sydney to Auckland.  Is anyone familiar with customs......do we really need a letter from our doctors describing our prescription medications or is having them in their pharmacy issued containers sufficient?    Also, with the restrictive Australian smoking policies, will the Connoisseur Lounge be open during this cruise.  We heard cruises from Australia forbid those areas from operating.  My husband enjoys an occasional cigar and was hoping to bring a few from home or enjoy the cigars offered in the lounge.   I will ask my TA to look into it, but thought I would ask for first hand knowledge.   Thanks. 

The Australian Border Force has the "rules" on their website. https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories

In summary, most things can be brought in with a doctor's letter or original prescription.  Here is a copy of the current passenger form:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-leaving-australia/files/ipc-sample-english.pdf

I answer "no" to the drugs question because mine are not goods that may be prohibited or restricted.

My practice has been to carry the prescriptions and original packaging with me.  Having said that I have never been questioned or had to show the prescriptions or packaging in literally hundreds of entries to Australia over the years.  I have an honest face 🙂

As to restrictions on onboard smoking, I don't smoke but that is news to me! I am sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

Edited by turtlemichael

Thanks Turtlemichael.....especially for the copy of passenger form.   Looks pretty straightforward.   I was on the gov website a few times.....the drug & tobacco restrictions, duty free, declarations etc, etc etc.....were more confusing.  

3 hours ago, nowornever said:

I have to laugh when I think about this one which wasn't funny at all at the time.   When I filled out the AU entrance visa questionnaire several years ago,  the question was phased "Are you carrying drugs?"  Well of course I said no since my strongest drug was cholesterol med.  I was pulled from the line & my suitcase thoroughly searched because, hello, I'm not young & of course on "drugs."  I explained that I thought that meant the illicit kind but nooooo, that's your garden variety high blood pressure kind.  So be aware of this question if it's still phrased this way.  Not a bad idea to take a printed list of your meds.

I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time.   Who needs such as hassle.  The question is now presented in such a vague way.....are you carrying drugs that MAY be prohibited or restricted etc, etc, etc....in the same sentence with the term illicit drugs.....well is blood pressure medicine restricted in Australia🤪who knows!   

You will probably find that the form asking questions about quarantine items are as important as the customs questions.

Australia is very strict regarding items of food, fruit and where you have been in the last week. We have never had  an outbreak of foot and mouth disease and other nasties that can be brought into Australia from overseas. There is a bin as you leave the aircraft to dump things not allowed as stated on the form.  People can be fined  for bringing in items not allowed. If there are items in your suitcase which may be suspicious don't worry,  the sniffer dog ( a friendly beagle) will have found it before your case hits the luggage carousel.

CARE AND BEWARE is a slogan used for anyone arriving at an Australian port or airport. Enjoy your cruise. 

As per mrscrab above, Australia is FANATICAL about foodstuffs - fresh, tinned, anything. Once we saw an elderly lady at Sydney airport bringing in from the UK a homemade Christmas pudding which was confiscated.  She was in tears.  A dog had sniffed it out from her suitcase.

And once, flying back from New Caledonia to Brisbane we had a bizarre experience.  Our hotel used to give us exotic-looking snail shells on our pillows at night - made a change from chocolates.  We took two of these with us in our baggage.  A dog sniffed around our bags and we were asked if we had anything to declare.  We said we didn't.   They opened our bag and found the shells.   We almost spent the night in prison.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cece50 said:

Yes the connoisseur lounge will  be open during your cruise 😊

• Like 1

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  So do you normally answer yes or no on the drug question if you are carrying just your prescription meds, like blood pressure or seasickness meds etc.....?  Here in the US none of these are considered restrictive or illicit. There are controlled meds for say...migraines...but are still not considered restrictive when traveling.  Also, still not clear on weather my husband should bring his fav cigars or wait until Sydney to purchase. I am sure they are much more expensive in Australia.....but that is his problem. 

8 hours ago, cece50 said:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  So do you normally answer yes or no on the drug question if you are carrying just your prescription meds, like blood pressure or seasickness meds etc.....?  Here in the US none of these are considered restrictive or illicit. There are controlled meds for say...migraines...but are still not considered restrictive when traveling.  Also, still not clear on weather my husband should bring his fav cigars or wait until Sydney to purchase. I am sure they are much more expensive in Australia.....but that is his problem. 

With respect, I do think you are over-thinking it if your medicines are the sorts you mention - for blood pressure, high cholesterol, seasickness etc and you only have enough for your personal needs in their original packaging with the prescription with you.  The regulations are primarily directed at such things as anabolic and androgenic steroids, not regular medications available everywhere. I tick "no" and, as I said, have never had an issue.  If you tick "yes" then you will be questioned and most likely waved through. If it makes you feel less stressed, tick "yes". There is more information here.   https://www.tga.gov.au/personal-importation-scheme

With regard to the cigars the amount you can import duty free is severely limited - less than an ounce of tobacco. If I brought even a small number of cigars in to the country I would declare it by ticking "yes" and pay the duty if asked to. There is a good chance I'd be just waved through if I just had a few cigars. If your husband decides to buy them here he will be paying the duty in the price anyway.

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1

This link deals with prescription controlled substances a bit more.  It is not what the OP has but some, e.g., people with cancer, severe  pain, and/or  insomnia, or those taking prescription testosterone ( schedule III controlled in U.S.) may  be interested.

On the one hand the link recommends a letter from the doctor for a list of meds and dosing, or the prescription, on the other it states they want meds even for personal use in their original bottles for easy ID.

Three month limit on supply is allowed, which will cover most cruisers.

Other au.gov links even list concerns about some common vitamins, e.g., vitamin D may or may not  be declared, depending on the dose. Sudafed ( with ephedrine) is also of concern, for those bringing  in cold or allergy meds ( likely because people can use it to brew meth).

https://www.odc.gov.au/travellers

I plan to cover all bases as my cruise will start and end  in Australia and with all my medical issues, I need my meds to be able to make it.  I will have a detailed doctor letter listing all meds, prescribed and over the counter, and will keep  controlled substances in original containers.  I will risk putting other boring  meds like BP pills and vitamins divided up into little medication ziplocks with labels as the link does not specifically say we need to bring in our big mail order pharmacy bottles that have more air volume than medication.  I will also say “yes” if they ask about drugs without the adjective  “illegal” preceding it. I think the letter will likely be all they want to see and will waive me through once they see who I am personally, and that all is declared, but will allow extra time on arrival just in case. I will also print out the relevant online section,

But I won’t bring breath mints, which I saw confiscated from an octogenarian couple when entering Melbourne cruise port a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

Thanks catlover54.....great info.  My basic question was always do you check Yes or No on the form if you are traveling with basic meds for blood pressure, cholesterol or a sleep aide in their original pharmacy issued bottles.  I am assuming if you say yes....they will pull you aside.... and if you say no....it’s a crap shoot.  Either way I am not worried..... just curious. 

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

I think the letter will likely be all they want to see and will waive me through once they see who I am personally, and that all is declared, but will allow extra time on arrival just in case. I will also print out the relevant online section,

If you can get some smaller packaging options and bring in that NOT ziplock bags,  

Ziplocks with pills are a red flag as we learned the hard way with some Vitamin Tabs...  we had to wait for pill testing which took nearly 1.5 hours as we arrived at peak time..  The even were stamped on the pill what they were!

Mrs. Waldo,  thank you for sharing your atypical experience, as so many post elsewhere that they never declare anything and never have trouble. It seems pill testing of vitamins in ziplocks stamped with what they are in the hand luggage of benign appearing luxury cruisers is a bit extreme.  I am not clear how having smaller containers ( vitamins are sold in big and even bigger containers in U.S. to help make them cheap) should reassure customs, as criminals could just put whatever they are smuggling into containers labeled Multivitamins, unless every pill is tested no matter what the label says.  I suspect a lot of this is security theatre, as with much of what the TSA in America does beyond just having pax walk through the metal detector and nudiscope.

But I will keep this in mind and mull it over more..  Maybe I can have the doctor add in the letter that due to my difficulty lifting a lot of weight and hauling bulky volumes, she instructed me to take just small amounts of necessary vitamins and minerals and uncontrolled meds, in ziplocks, in my carryon ( which is what I always do for Europe except for the controlled substances which I leave in their labeled bottles primarily for American customs to see if they want on my return).  I had no trouble with my ziplocks last time to Australia a few years ago when I was ignorant on the rules, even when the dogs disinterestedly went by my carryon with all misc. medications and supplements in it, but no one stopped me, so I was apparently just lucky.

It was much easier when I was young and and healthy and did not need to carry any meds at all. 😟

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

M It seems pill testing of vitamins in ziplocks stamped with what they are in the hand luggage of benign appearing luxury cruisers is a bit extreme.  I am not clear how having smaller containers ( vitamins are sold in big and even bigger containers in U.S. to help make them cheap) should reassure customs, as criminals could just put whatever they are smuggling into containers labeled Multivitamins, unless every pill is tested no matter what the label says.  I suspect a lot of this is security theatre, as with much of what the TSA in America does beyond just having pax walk through the metal detector and nudiscope.

I had no trouble with my ziplocks last time to Australia a few years ago when I was ignorant on the rules, even when the dogs disinterestedly went by my carryon with all misc. medications and supplements in it, but no one stopped me, so I was apparently just lucky.

Our Border force has what they call target periods where they focus on a particular thing and "crackdown" 😉

We'd literally been through hundreds of times with ziplock packaging.  

The ABF gal said to us....  it should be in original packaging, regardless of what it is.  That way if it is contaminated in any way you have some defence and we are less likely to pull you aside...

Just a heads up what is a controlled drug in the USA may not be here and vice versa.   BP pills and Codeine require a prescription  here and as such should be in original packaging.

Therefore

1. Obtain a prescription to confirm that the medicines you are carrying have been prescribed to you, or provide a letter from your doctor that states you are under their treatment and that the medication(s) you are carrying have been prescribed for your personal use. Your doctor's letter must specify the name of the medicine and dosage.
  2. Ensure the medication remains in its original packaging with the dispensing label intact. This will assist with identifying each substance at the border.

I agree 999 times in 1000 you are fine.  It just depends on the day...  All bags get an X-ray now...  that's usually what rings the bell

and don't get me started about chocolate!

Edited by MrsWaldo

Between us we travel with a lot of meds. 
All scrip meds are in orig packs but supps are in ziplocks.

All scrip meds backed up with current letter from gp.

All meds in carry on.

So far never had an inquisition .. anywhere.. and there have been a lot of anywhere's…..

Have seem swmbo's copious store of stuff given the once over but never tested.

Au Border force have been watching too much  tv and have become more sensitive

They do tend to wave us confident homecoming residents straight  through .

Summary It's a gamble with the downside being a delay;  however I opine that the odds are good if you don't fit the a profile ..

We have always been told "if you are not sure, tick yes" that way you might get stopped and asked some questions about what you are unsure about and then carry on. If you tick 'no' and they check and find something that is not allowed or prohibited, that's when the trouble starts!! Border Force are there to do a job and protect us and the country, they do a very good job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This may be late to your needs but I found this very useful...

I know now how to fill out the entry form and will forget about bringing the usual stick of salami we snack on during travels.  Also it will help you out on medicines that will need to be declared.   See link below:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in