Need Insurance for an extended trip

lhsail

We are going to Australia, New Zealand then back to the US through the Pacific in March and April, will be gone just at 61 days. Have been pricing insurance and it’s staggering. Yes, I know we’re protecting a significant investment, but still. We need cancellation/interruption coverage. I still have health insurance through our former employer’s group plan that includes international coverage. My husband is on Medicare, but has a supplement with some international medical coverage, but no evacuation coverage. The trip is a total of four cruises and I could put one of them on a credit card that has good cancellation/interruption coverage.  I’m also considering an annual policy. The max on the cancellation coverage would be used up if we needed to completely cancel, but looking at prices it seems we might come out ahead. I don’t anticipate we’ll take any additional big trips the remainder of 2020, our son is getting married in July.

Appreciate any thoughts. 

What kind of cancellation?   That always drives up the price.    I’d suggest you get written details about your coverages you claim you have?   Especially Credit Cards which are loaded with small print exclusions and can have very low coverage limits.    Same with the international medical benefits.   I’ve seen some pathetic limits-  like   $10,000  and again usually loaded with exclusions.    The preexisting conditions are another issue.    Carefully look over evacuation details and never purchase based on price.     Note carefully- is there a number limit?  Don’t buy a single episode coverage with where you are going.    You also want repatriation.    

Yes it’s going to be costly.   

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

What kind of cancellation?   That always drives up the price.    I’d suggest you get written details about your coverages you claim you have?   Especially Credit Cards which are loaded with small print exclusions and can have very low coverage limits.    Same with the international medical benefits.   I’ve seen some pathetic limits-  like   $10,000  and again usually loaded with exclusions.    The preexisting conditions are another issue.    Carefully look over evacuation details and never purchase based on price.     Note carefully- is there a number limit?  Don’t buy a single episode coverage with where you are going.    You also want repatriation.    

Yes it’s going to be costly.   

I have read over the credit card coverage several times and have also had phone conversations with them so I am comfortable with that. We did decide to purchase an annual policy. No, not cheap, but what I was trying to do is get the best coverage we could at a fair price. Feel like we’re in good shape now.