Coca Cola OUT, Pepsi Cola IN

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, 2PinaColadas said:

This really messes with my Cheers package.  My go to drink is rum and Coke Zero.   Pepsi is nasty!!  Diet Pepsi is even worse!!!  This change really stinks, Carnival.  

Says the person with the name 2pinacoladas

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Cruise-Crazy said:

About the only time I drink Coke is a Rum & Coke. Rum & Pepsi really sounds awful, yuck! 

Came here to say this.  I love me some Rum & Coke.  I definitely do not enjoy Rum & Pepsi.  Figure I will need to bring on a 12 pack of coke to mix with my Flor de Caña! 😁

Edited by WorkerBee74

Pepsi is just not a great mixer with rum. If you like rum, you would understand. We like rum, so no diet coke is a problem. We have had cheers on every cruise we've taken since it was offered, it's now lost it's novelty. There are many other vacation options out there...

10 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

Pepsi is just not a great mixer with rum. If you like rum, you would understand. We like rum, so no diet coke is a problem. We have had cheers on every cruise we've taken since it was offered, it's now lost it's novelty. There are many other vacation options out there...

Hope you find something that works...... two cruise lines (Carnival and NCL are now out for you).  

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Jimbo....isn't  MSC also a Pepsi line?

Not sure, I thought so, but it has been a while since we sailed on them.  I think someone mentioned it in this thread, but when I looked I could not find it, might have gone “poof”.

17 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

Just like there are other vacation options out there, there are alternatives to consuming your rum with Diet Coke. If the fact that these alternatives contain  too much sugar and Pepsi Zero Sugar is not an option to your liking, then carry on Diet Coke or Coke Zero.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

I know, lol.  I love pina coladas, but they have way too many calories. So, nowadays-- two is my limit instead of one in each hand.  😜

There is a certain respect for a two fisted drinker tho....

On 11/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, pacruise804 said:

I noticed Carnival didn't have Dark and Stormy on the menu - but did have Rum and Ginger Beer (D&S is specifically dark rum).

Not true.  A Dark and Stormy is specifically ONLY made with Gosling's black seal rum.  In fact, the reason you don't see D & S on the carnival menu is because Gosling's has a trademark on the name "Dark and Stormy" and has been known to be very adamant about enforcing it.  They won't go after Mom and Pop watering holes, but bet your ass they'd go after a company the size of CCL if they tried to market Dark and Stormys.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/fashion/05shaken.html

Edited by ParrotRob
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, evandbob said:

As someone who stopped drinking soda decades ago, I'm amused and alarmed by this thread.  Since cola soda is basically made from acid and other chemicals

You know what vitamin C is made of? Citric Acid💡

On 11/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, Shaded Lady said:

I'm a diehard diet coke drinker. It doesn't affect my choice of restaurant but it does impact what I spend. For instance, we went to Applebees the other night for SIL's birthday. They serve Pepsi. I drank water. Revenue lost to them (I know they don't care, there are probably an equal number who drink Pepsi to compensate). But the fact that they don't have Coke products doesn't factor into whether or not I eat there, just my beverage consumption habits.

This is definitely what happens. No, there are not an equal number who drink Pepsi to compensate, and so beverage revenues decline for the establishment. Pepsi can win over new accounts by throwing a lot of money at them, but it's not particularly sustainable. That's one reason Coke has much higher market share in the foodservice channel, notwithstanding some recent "wins" (e.g., Madison Square Garden, Marriott). On the other hand, Amtrak just switched to Coke. 

That said, when it comes to colas, I'm a diet coke drinker, I won't touch Diet Pepsi. But the broader PepsiCo beverage portfolio is pretty decent - Gatorade, Bubbly, Mountain Dew (although that's been losing share to energy drinks), Tropicana, teas, and the Starbucks coffee partnership.

9 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Not true.  A Dark and Stormy is specifically ONLY made with Gosling's black seal rum.  In fact, the reason you don't see D & S on the carnival menu is because Gosling's has a trademark on the name "Dark and Stormy" and has been known to be very adamant about enforcing it.  They won't go after Mom and Pop watering holes, but bet your ass they'd go after a company the size of CCL if they tried to market Dark and Stormys.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/fashion/05shaken.html

Thanks, I didn't know that 🙂 I did discover recently that while I enjoy ginger beer I don't really care for Dark & Stormy (maybe they didn't use Gosling's) - too much molasses taste.

26 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I may be in the minority but I do no like Coke and much more prefer Pepsi

Kudos to Carnival, although I’m positive this decision was cost based

I'm not a fan of either cola - much prefer Dr. Pepper as my caffeine delivery method 😉 Either can be drinkable with some lemon or lime added though.  

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Not to be "that guy", but you got a factual error there.  Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, not citric acid.

Haha oops you’re totally right, brain fart. But of course both citric and ascorbic acids are used in food. And acetic acid while we’re at it! 😅

I am happy about the change.  I do not like Coke at all, it taste flat to me and leaves a weird taste in my mouth.  Pepsi does have more sugar and caffeine in it and Coke has more sodium.  Pepsi is sweeter than Coke.  I'm not usually a Pepsi drinker anyways, but i do drink Mt. Dew--and that does have a cult following.

We are happy about the change, but it never stopped us from booking a cruise when they only served coke products.

Coming from a restaurant business family (60+ yrs)-- when dad 1st opened the restaurant, Coca Cola offered him the best deal.  So he went with coke and has been with them for over 60 yrs.  My brother took over the business several yrs ago & he says that Pepsi has been after him to switch for awhile offering huge kickbacks & incentives.  So this is what I think has happened with Carnival-  Pepsi has offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.  But in the long term Coke will try to get them back.

The mention of the fountain machines has gotten me curious.  I wonder if that will become a new part of a ship's bars.  They may not be able to add them to the older ships due to space constraints, but in the next ones coming out.  Cost would be much less & overall space saving.  What is visible is larger than cans of soda, but over all, the tanks, bags of syrup & dispenser are smaller than storing umpteen cases of soda.  This may be something we see in the future.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:02 PM, 2PinaColadas said:

I know, lol.  I love pina coladas, but they have way too many calories. So, nowadays-- two is my limit instead of one in each hand.  😜

I thought you got your name from the Garth Brooks song.  I love that song. 🙂