Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I still use my flip phone so I bought a Fire 7 Tablet on Amazon.  It generally goes for $49.95 but I got it on sale for $29.00.  They say it isn't compatible with getting Google Play but I found a website where I got step by step instructions to be able to put Google Play on the Fire 7.  After I got the Google Play, I had to search for MedallionClass and leave the search going overnight but it finally showed up.  I loaded the MedallionClass app on the Fire 7 and so far, it is working just fine.  (I say 'so far' because I haven't been able to use it onboard as I got it for my cruise next week.)  Just a thought for you.  If you have time, keep an eye out for a sale on the Fire 7.  It was only $35.00 last week.  (BTW, use a brand new one - the older ones have a very limited operating system.)

Here is a link to the instructions to get Google Play on the Fire 7.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n58XopeWj5M

Printed Directions:  https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Just make sure you follow each step in exactly the same sequence.  Hope this helps.

16GB or 32GB?

8 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

16GB or 32GB?

I got the 16GB and then added a 256GB Micro SD card I had for one of my cameras.  I don't know if it helped get the app or not because I added the extra memory before I tried to get the app.  I think the extra memory only gives me more room to store videos and other media.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Please let me know how it works onboard.

Will do.  I will be on Regal Feb 2, cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.  We plan to do a Live From thread and I will probably comment on how well the apps work, plus how well the Fire 7 worked.  I'll also post on this thread how well the Fire 7 worked.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Will do.  I will be on Regal Feb 2, cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.  We plan to do a Live From thread and I will probably comment on how well the apps work, plus how well the Fire 7 worked.  I'll also post on this thread how well the Fire 7 worked.

UDABEST!!!  Where are you from?  We are in East Meadow, NY, & Boynton Beach, FA.

I'm guessing that the extra 256GB microSD card doesn't matter, I doubt that the Apps get stored on the external storage. Can you check what you're OS rev is? It's under Settings, Device Options, System Updates. My Kindle HD 8 is at Fire OS 5.3.6.4 and I cannot install the App from Google Play, I tried sideloading it and it will not run - gives an error. 

20 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I'm guessing that the extra 256GB microSD card doesn't matter, I doubt that the Apps get stored on the external storage. Can you check what you're OS rev is? It's under Settings, Device Options, System Updates. My Kindle HD 8 is at Fire OS 5.3.6.4 and I cannot install the App from Google Play, I tried sideloading it and it will not run - gives an error. 

I have Fire OS 6.3.1.4 on my Fire 7.

This is the website that I used to get directions for downloading the google play store. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

After downloading that (no hitches there) I searched in the Google Play store for MedallionClass.  It initially didn't show and I think ocean now and ocean compass only showed up.  I left that screen open overnight and in the morning the MedallionClass app was showing as available for download.  I downloaded it and so far so good.  I'm ocean ready, my oceanready passes are showing on it and I can use Journey View.  Everything else needs to wait until I'm onboard.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

Nice, Fairly new Fire 7? My 8 is pretty old, but, I just did an update last week, still stuck on 5!

I bought it on November 23 just for this purpose.  It was on sale for $29.  Not bad!  It's $20 more tonight.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, ecs66 said:

Can't magnets also mess with the innards of cell phones?  (Not sure -- something I'm recalling from a while back.)

They do tell you on the info that comes with the medallion that it has a magnet inside and if you have a pacemaker  it can cause problems  with it.  

I thought that each time we would be on a Medallian class ship would have to reload my Medallian app on my phone. Just got off the Royal and noticed the App. had my next Medallian cruise already on it. It is not the next cruise we are on (not Medallian)

but picked up the cruise that is. Nice, I thought I was going to have to remove the appl. from my phone.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, voljeep said:

on our last cruise, SKY, the internet dude added a logon, logoff icons to my wife's mini I-pad … will those still work on our next OM cruise , using our captain level internet minutes ?

I think you need to ask Tony, the Captain of the Row Boat what he does.   :classic_tongue: 

why do I care about having the Medallion? WE don't order room service or drinks from the bar. What is the benefit over the "old way" of doing things? Do i get Cop masses earlier than the night prior on the M? Do I still get a paper copy.

Edited by elaine5

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

on our last cruise, SKY, the internet dude added a logon, logoff icons to my wife's mini I-pad … will those still work on our next OM cruise , using our captain level internet minutes ?

I'm gonna guess yes, what happens when you click on them when you're home?  I think they point to login.com & logoff.com, using the ship's WiFi to access the Internet, Princess points those two 'sites' to the login/logout page. We did that for a ton of special hostnames where I used to work. 

Edited by CruiseVA
  • Thanks 1

I scrolled back several pages & found 1 post that i think  may have the answer. Not sure. Our 2nd medallion cruise departs Nov. 23. All our circles are green except cruise personalizer. I have gone over that info several times & cannot find anything missing. But still there is that orange exclamation mark. Will this eventually correct itself? I think someone posted that's what happened with them. Thanks! 

I took another pre-cruise look at travel documents section. After I looked closer, the picture of my passport doesn't show the entire picture and about half of the DOB and expiration data.  Is this likely to be a problem? Is there a way to retake the picture or do I need to nuke the passport entry and then redo it?  Any concerns that this action may screw up my Ocean-Ready? 

1 hour ago, The Gremlin said:

I took another pre-cruise look at travel documents section. After I looked closer, the picture of my passport doesn't show the entire picture and about half of the DOB and expiration data.  Is this likely to be a problem? Is there a way to retake the picture or do I need to nuke the passport entry and then redo it?  Any concerns that this action may screw up my Ocean-Ready? 

When I went thru the process for our 1st medallion cruise  I had no luck trying to scan. I found I could manually enter the info & submit a different photo. I cannot remember exactly where I found I could do it that way. 

On 1/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Do we use the Medallion or the app when boarding?

You use both.  The app has your boarding pass (under Ocean Ready) and they have you scan the Medallion 2 or 3 times to get on the ship.