Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

18 hours ago, quakershaker said:

we would like to be able to make voice calls while at sea(We have port days covered). Is there a way to do this without getting our phone provider's (ATT) cellular at sea package? I've seen some posts that say that medallion is not working with cellular at sea anyway.

Cellular At Sea is "there", but is about 90% unreliable.  Useless, basically.  And it costs.

With unlimited internet, technically you can do wifi calling FREE -- if it works.  (We learned the hard way that wifi calling with Verizon doesn't work well, if at all, if using a Bring Your Own Device [BYOD] phone.  So beware.)  Wifi calling didn't work for us except sporadically, but did work perfectly for others.  If you're doing wifi calling/texting, the other party doesn't need to have anything special at their end, e.g., be connected to internet.  It's handled as a regular call as far as they're concerned.

Our best way to communicate with each other, and with friends/family, was via WhatsApp.  It worked perfectly.  It only works if both parties have WhatsApp and are connected to internet at the time of the call.  So be sure to set it up at home before you leave, and have friends/family set it up, too.  My sister used Skype perfectly.

The posted video validates people's fears about cabin security. I noticed the guy didn't have to use a PIN or any other type of authentication before the system gave him a cabin number and directions to that cabin. All he had to do was tap the Medallion and request the information. It boggles the mind that they apparently don't view this as an egregious security issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

The posted video validates people's fears about cabin security. I noticed the guy didn't have to use a PIN or any other type of authentication before the system gave him a cabin number and directions to that cabin. All he had to do was tap the Medallion and request the information. It boggles the mind that they apparently don't view this as an egregious security issue.

Yikes! About 4:30 into the video is where he does that, and, what's even worse, he consider's it a selling point! I wonder if you can hold your cruise card up and get the same info...

The video does verify that the cruise line is aware of this definite flaw in the Medallion program. Pretty amazing that they don’t see it as a potential for crime.  If one loses a cruise card the same potential exists if the perpetrator were to go cabin to cabin trying to find the matching cabin. Clearly not as easy as walking up to the board and touching the found medallion and seeing the matching room. I would guess that hours could go by before someone realized they had lost it. I don’t usually lock up every item of any value when I leave my cabin, but think I will be rethinking my behavior next cruise. 

27 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Does Island Princess have medallion net?

Yes it has MedallionNet. It won't get the full Medallion until late December of this year (supposedly December 20th) but it has the Internet service now.

Snipped from the Princess MedallionNet video:

image.png.130daef66416fd35f5b35452498be54f.png

image.png.fbe799246fa1f1b0a8cb8b36cf8ffd1c.png

Edited by Thrak

I booked a couple of cruises that will be full Medallion cruises but they aren't until May/June of 2021. I could get the app now but it will probably be completely different by the time the cruises roll around. I "might" get it anyway just to look at it but, if I do, I'll probably end up deleting it again. Who knows what the app will be like that far from now.

I do have cruises this October/November that will have Medallion Net access but not full Medallion. I don't "think" there is a specific app for that.

Hmmm... Went ahead and downloaded the app. Installed it and put in my booking number. I was extremely surprised that it recognized a cruise that doesn't sail until May of 2021 but it did and filled in the cruise info. Then I tried to do the profile setup. I put in my email and it asked for a password. Tried my regular Princess password and it said incorrect. Tried my old Princess password and it doesn't even say incorrect but, instead, just sits there doing nothing at all and still showing the same page. It doesn't even clear out the password field - it just does nothing.

I can't imagine I'm the first one with this problem but a quick perusal and search off this topic didn't help. What's the deal?

Edit: Tried again. Now the password field is completely unresponsive. I can't even enter text.

Edited by Thrak

On 2/26/2020 at 12:31 PM, Thrak said:

Quoting my own post because... I see this on the Princess FAQ:

Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?
The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made.

w00t!  Remembered there was an old ocean.com page and went there. Used the "forgot my credentials" link and it seems I made an account there when the Medallion first came out. They sent me an email to change my password. I did that and logged in on the ocean.com site. Went back to the app and used the password and it works. I'm in but have a very looooooooong time until my Medallion cruise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Quoting my own post because... I see this on the Princess FAQ:

Could other people find it and use it to get into your room or charge purchases to you?
The Ocean Medallion contains no personal information. Your Ocean Medallion is associated with your profile that contains your onboard security picture. If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made.

I agree with the comment about making purchases since the picture doesn't match but if you lose your Medallion there's nothing to keep anyone from finding your room via the boards & gaining access without your knowledge, until it's reported lost.

It sounds as though the person who wrote that statement was trying to describe an unauthorized charge with a found Medallion which has nothing to do with the cabin access.

I know zero about the mind of a criminal, but wouldn't there be enormous risk using a found medallion to get into a cabin? One of the occupants might be inside. An occupant might return. And there seems to be very little criminal element on a cruise ship. 

13 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I know zero about the mind of a criminal, but wouldn't there be enormous risk using a found medallion to get into a cabin? One of the occupants might be inside. An occupant might return. And there seems to be very little criminal element on a cruise ship. 

when you approach the cabin it shows all who are staying in the cabin...so if they see that it has 2 occupants they could walk away or hey lets face it most criminals i would say are risk takers and may run their odds that no one is in there.  Also i have read several different stories on cc and in the news of crew and fellow passengers attacking passengers just because it is a vacation doesn't mean that there are not still criminals on board. People have had stuff stolen from their cabins, passenger to passenger abuse, deaths, and of course there is and has been recordings of sexual assaults on the ship...it is no different than being on land...if there is a will to be a criminal they will do it. 

Thrak,  thanks for posting about Island Princess medallion net.  I just booked a cruise on her for Oct 21 thru the med.  I did look up and see it has drydock scheduled for Dec 2020; for 14 days in europe.  

49 minutes ago, 1965 said:

They can see by checking the board if anyone is in the cabin or simply knock on the door. They can also see where the other Medallion is located elsewhere by checking the board.

Luckily there is are very few criminals on the ships.  

52 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Not that it is an earth shaking crime but look at all the times that people report their personalized door signs being stolen off their cabin doors.  Some people just can't help themselves.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

If that picture does not match a guest when a purchase is being made or when someone other than the original guest is nearby, access will not be granted to a stateroom and purchases cannot be made.

I find it difficult to believe there is a facial recognition device at every cabin door. 

I'm just now learning about this medallion class. We will be on the Enchanted later this year.  Is it true that if someone finds a lost medallion, they can easily figure out which cabin the medallion belongs to? That seems to be going backwards, when hotel room keys had the room number on them. They stopped doing that for a reason.

2 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I find it difficult to believe there is a facial recognition device at every cabin door. 

I'm just now learning about this medallion class. We will be on the Enchanted later this year.  Is it true that if someone finds a lost medallion, they can easily figure out which cabin the medallion belongs to? That seems to be going backwards, when hotel room keys had the room number on them. They stopped doing that for a reason.

Yes and the security problem is the same on all the ships.

22 hours ago, 1965 said:

I cannot agree more.  I think this isn't about fear of illicit entry but more about a aversion to the medallion concept.  I think many do not like medallions and are looking for as much fault as they can find to justify this dislike.  Personally, we're looking forward to our first medallion cruise and are not at all concerned about this perceived lack of security.

And, for another thing, the medallions would appear to be far more resistant to the spread of infections which we believe is far more important that the fear of illicit entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, for another thing, the medallions would appear to be far more resistant to the spread of infections which we believe is far more important that the fear of illicit entry.

How would a Medallion be any more effective than a cruise card?

Rocketman275 - I totally agree. It's new & people don't like change.  We took our 1st medallion cruise in Oct. We felt it made check in go a little more efficiently. I liked our cabin door unlocking hands free. We still had to press the handle to open it, but it was less cumbersome than pulling out a card & scanning if I had something in my hands. I didn't like wearing my card around my neck so it was usually in my pocket, but the medallion is like a piece of jewelry. Having it around my neck was convenient. We both liked being able to locate the other using our medallions & the big board. We are far from being techy, but techiness isn't necessary. We did not need to carry our phones to use it. Sooo, for us it's good. 😁

Edited by 1965

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I cannot agree more.  I think this isn't about fear of illicit entry but more about a aversion to the medallion concept.  I think many do not like medallions and are looking for as much fault as they can find to justify this dislike.  Personally, we're looking forward to our first medallion cruise and are not at all concerned about this perceived lack of security.

Exactly.