Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

On 8/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, 1965 said:

This may have been discussed. Since our faces will be masked, how will the medallion work for boarding & leaving the ship? The medallions rely on face recognition, right? 

I would think you will need to drop down the mask so it can see your face. I see no problem with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I would think you will need to drop down the mask so it can see your face. I see no problem with that.

I totally agree with you. It’s the only way security will know it’s you. Your only going to show your face for a second or two and the person looking at you doesn’t have to be that Close to you. 
Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The Medallion itself can't "see your face". It relies on electronic identification. The crew member at the gangway can see your face on a tablet that's linked to the database onboard. The specific ID number of the Medallion is detected and your face will appear on the tablet. It is the crew member who makes the facial ID - not the Medallion. The only thing the Medallion "does" is to contain the individual ID number. It works via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and NFC (Near Field Communication) technologies. There is no "visual" component to the Medallion.

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The Medallion itself can't "see your face". It relies on electronic identification. The crew member at the gangway can see your face on a tablet that's linked to the database onboard. The specific ID number of the Medallion is detected and your face will appear on the tablet. It is the crew member who makes the facial ID - not the Medallion. The only thing the Medallion "does" is to contain the individual ID number. It works via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and NFC (Near Field Communication) technologies. There is no "visual" component to the Medallion.

They still have to make sure it's you behind the mask to compare it to the one on file. I tried switching medallions with the husband to test them & they caught us on the way out. 😉

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They still have to make sure it's you behind the mask to compare it to the one on file. I tried switching medallions with the husband to test them & they caught us on the way out. 😉

Hi MissP22,

I just have one question what was you punishment after you got caught? Did you have to walk the Gangplank? 😳😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

D03864A1-5815-41A3-9EAE-F1B6D156180E.jpeg

• Haha 3

Lucky TGO,

I also carry my Medallion in the Princess card holder. It's convenient, and you can keep your photo ID in the other side with a few bills and that's all you need to carry on excursions. You can use the Medallion without removing it from the holder. Just make sure you hold the correct side of the holder against the Medallion sensor when using it.

3 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

I just like you to know the only way to obtain this Princess card holder. You must be staying in a suit. BTW  It’s free.

Tony

184236B7-EB94-4D6B-971A-797F145DC8C2.jpeg

B7941F71-FDA5-42D7-83E9-7C05ACEF896B.jpeg

OR you could buy one HERE  or HERE 

Edited by Thrak

18 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Just make sure you hold the correct side of the holder against the Medallion sensor when using it.

I've never notice any difference which side of the medallion is placed against the reader. I carry mine loose without any holder and it seems to work no matter which side is placed on the sensor. 

Perhaps I just use always use the correct side?

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I've never notice any difference which side of the medallion is placed against the reader. I carry mine loose without any holder and it seems to work no matter which side is placed on the sensor. 

Either way should work just fine. The antennas are on the side with your name on top.

16 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak,

I didn’t know you could buy them. Thanks for sharing. 

It's amazing the amount of Princess stuff that has been listed on that site over the years.  Apparently people pay for things like Elite pins (or sets of pins), the blue Princess tote bags, blank Cruise Cards, etc. Mind boggling.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's amazing the amount of Princess stuff that has been listed on that site over the years.  Apparently people pay for things like Elite pins (or sets of pins), the blue Princess tote bags, blank Cruise Cards, etc. Mind boggling.

I think is crazy because you can get it for free. 
Tony

15 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I think is crazy because you can get it for free. 
Tony

Free is a relative term. Sailing in a suite isn't free. Sailing at all isn't free. Before the world went crazy I used to use my blue Princess tote bags for grocery bags. I paid thousands of dollars for each of those bags! For some reason there seem to be a lot of folks who, while they may never cruise, want Princess (or other cruise line) items.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak,

This is going to make me crazy thinking I payed $7,000 for a pair of white slippers & a vinyl card holder. 
Oh well it’s only money. 😳 😁

Tony

Actually, you paid for a wonderful experience that most folks will never have. Certainly those who have never sailed can simply never comprehend the experience. Remember, my wife had to pretty much "drag" me onto our first cruise. She spent a good 10 years trying to get me to cruise and I didn't want to because I absolutely "knew", without any doubt, that I would hate everything about cruising. Of course, when I finally gave in and cruised "once only" to make her happy I ended up wanting to get right back on the ship and go again. D'Oh!

We haven't paid for suites. Our "snazziest" cabins have been Caribe Deck Balconies. We love them. Our first cruise was in a tiny (really tiny) inside forward cabin.  It was A323 on Sea Princess and was only 135 square feet. I pretty much had to go outside to change my mind. I was soooooooooooooo hooked. I would never imply that you "wasted your money" cruising in order to get these items others can purchase for almost nothing. To quote the character Ducky from The Land Before Time, (my wife ran a home daycare for 20 years) "Nope, nope, nope."

My point is that, while you paid thousands of dollars for a "free tote bag" (don't suites get an upgraded bag? I've never seen one) and a "free card holder" which anybody with a few bucks can buy on eBay, what they will never be able to buy is the wonderful experience you had on your cruises. They will never know how freaking amazing it is to sail on Princess and visit amazing places. Yes, they can easily purchase the bag or the card holder or the deck of cards, or the specialty drink glasses, or.... That has nothing to do with the freaking amazing experience you (or even I) have had.  I in no way meant to denigrate those experiences. I'm really just boggled by the folks who will buy these things to try to be "cool" (or for whatever unimaginable reason they buy them) and who will never really understand what these relatively simple items actually mean to those who have obtained them "free" while cruising.

I'm pretty boggled by how close I came to never understanding about cruising. My wife kept "mentioning" it for about 10 years and finally our oldest son joined her. He was 100% (okay, the government says 110% but that "does not compute in my mind) disabled in the service. He said he wanted to cruise but couldn't do it along and.... Yep, they ganged up on me. I will be forever grateful.

• Like 3

Hi Thrak,

‘My wife didn’t want to go on a cruise just like you. Her mother went on a cruise and told her what she was missing. 
So she decided to try a seven day cruise. That all it took 51 cruises and she can’t wait to go on the next one. 
Someday I hope we will be on the same cruise with you and your family. The first round will be on me 🥃🍸🍹🥂.

Your Pal,

Tony

On 9/2/2020 at 3:26 AM, MissP22 said:

Sorry, I was referring to use when it's inside the Princess card holder. If it's in the holder and you attempt scan it while the holder is folded in half, you obviously want to make sure you're holding the thinnest part towards the scanner. I was not referring to simply scanning the medallion by itself. Sorry for any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Sorry, I was referring to use when it's inside the Princess card holder. If it's in the holder and you attempt scan it while the holder is folded in half, you obviously want to make sure you're holding the thinnest part towards the scanner. I was not referring to simply scanning the medallion by itself. Sorry for any confusion.

Makes no difference which side the medallion is scanned on. The antenna inside works exactly the same front or back.

Experience with the Medallion technology in March 2020 shows that it has a long way to go to be "Customer Friendly."  Thankfully, we could open our cabin door with no glitches. Many other features were "ify" - to be polite. With my smart phone I found  work arounds on the essential functions for us. ( I wasn't interested in tracking my wife's whereabouts. )  I have worked with high end technology since 1981 and can pronounce the "Medallion" as a so-so ran at starting gate.

• 2 weeks later...

I know CCL is bleeding cash right now but if future cruising is contact-less then which ships have the medallion  / when will the others get it? (FWIW: the Grand B2B 3/22 - 3/29/20 was supposed to be the 1st medallion voyages)

Wondering because I'm supposed to be on the Sapphire Princess Queensland 12/1/2021