Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

We eat dinner at different times in different venues depending on our mood & the day's activities. Will we need to fill out the dining preferences section of the medallion? Thanks. 😊

Is $15 shipping and handling standard on the medallion accessories, even when you can only pick them up at the port? (UK Seacation)

Was planning to order a couple of sport bands at $10 each, but then surprised to see the final amount almost double!

stitchcreek;  if you pick up your medallion at the port;  you can buy the accessories onboard;  so you won't have shipping charges.  It's not a big deal.  The provided lanyard is fine to wear around your neck; or just keep the medallion in your pocket.  I did both for my cruise.  I wore the lanyard on the ship and when I went ashore;  I kept medallion in my pocket

• Like 1

Just now, AF-1 said:

stitchcreek;  if you pick up your medallion at the port;  you can buy the accessories onboard;  so you won't have shipping charges.  It's not a big deal.  The provided lanyard is fine to wear around your neck; or just keep the medallion in your pocket.  I did both for my cruise.  I wore the lanyard on the ship and when I went ashore;  I kept medallion in my pocket

Thanks for the advice. Weirdly I can select a complimentary lanyard for my husband, but don’t get the option to add one myself…

That is unusual.  My medallion was shipped to my home in Ohio.  Both my wife and I received the lanyard in our box.  The medallions ship from Singapore.  I would not worry about the medallion;  picking up at the port is fine and very easy.  There will be plenty of OM reps at the port guiding everyone thru the process.  

1 hour ago, stitchcreek said:

Thanks for the advice. Weirdly I can select a complimentary lanyard for my husband, but don’t get the option to add one myself…

I had the same trouble as you regarding shipping.

As for the lanyard you can add as many as you wish for the guests, I have 8 on my order for my wife, but it will not let me add one for myself!

Frankly as this is part of the process of "get ocean ready" I think it is very poor Princess have not fixed this yet as it was reported to them (by me) several weeks back now.

29 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I had the same trouble as you regarding shipping.

As for the lanyard you can add as many as you wish for the guests, I have 8 on my order for my wife, but it will not let me add one for myself!

Frankly as this is part of the process of "get ocean ready" I think it is very poor Princess have not fixed this yet as it was reported to them (by me) several weeks back now.

Glad to know it’s not just me, but frustrating it’s not been fixed yet!

Is it the complimentary lanyard you’ve been able to add multiples of for your wife, or just the paid for inserts? I’ve not been able to find a way to increase the complimentary lanyard on my husbands part of the order, as that could be a workaround if it doesn’t get fixed…

Interesting that it’s those of us managing the checklist / organising the medallion order that seem to be having the issue for ourselves, but able to order for others… I wonder if my husband were to log in and try to pick up where I’ve left off from his app whether he’d find he’s able to get the option for me? I suspect not, but might give it a try!

4 hours ago, stitchcreek said:

Is it the complimentary lanyard you’ve been able to add multiples of for your wife, or just the paid for inserts? I’ve not been able to find a way to increase the complimentary lanyard on my husbands part of the order, as that could be a workaround if it doesn’t get fixed…

Interesting that it’s those of us managing the checklist / organising the medallion order that seem to be having the issue for ourselves, but able to order for others… I wonder if my husband were to log in and try to pick up where I’ve left off from his app whether he’d find he’s able to get the option for me? I suspect not, but might give it a try!

People have had problems with them opening up and the medallion falling out. They are large and the lanyard it also large and if I recall. Not adjustable for the length. More cumbersome than useful. My opinion only. Many use the lanyard on other ships for the room card. Why they do that I do not know. I just keep my room card in my pocket. Take it out whenever I need it. 

3 hours ago, dides said:

Here's another MedallionClass Monday video  from Princess focussing on JourneyView and portal enhancements with a brief mention of booking embarkation/disembarkation times.

Thanks. But Ugh.

Does Princess ever run these apps by any actual Princess cruisers?

Trying to scroll right, left, up, down just to look at the daily schedule is not very user friendly. They need something that gives an overall view of the day without all that scrolling around so you can easily scan the schedule....hm....more like the paper version.....🙄

...and I am not against using an electronic version....but seriously....make one that's useful.

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Thanks. But Ugh.

Trying to scroll right, left, up, down just to look at the daily schedule is not very user friendly. They need something that gives an overall view of the day without all that scrolling around so you can easily scan the schedule....hm....more like the paper version.....🙄

...and I am not against using an electronic version....but seriously....make one that's useful.

Agree, as it is now paper patter is easier to use. Just a list would be easier to view.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Agree, as it is now paper patter is easier to use. Just a list would be easier to view.

I also get aggravated trying to see what is happening. Eventually I get what I need. Then get on the ship and see it changes just about every day anyhow. So, trying to plan before you cruise. A waste of time.

I just had to share the worst customer service email I have ever received in my life, it took over a month to receive this pathetic response.

"Hi there Andrew,

The best thing to do is to delete the app and redownload, that should reset everything. The app is new to us all, so I do apologise that we can't give much information on it.

The shipping cost is suppose to be there, its just so we can ship the items to the port to be collected at check in however, to avoid this cost you can purchase them onboard the ship.

Kind Regards

Beth

Bethany Pritchard (Phone name Sophie)
Reservations Coordinator, Princess Cruises
100 Harbour Parade, Southampton, SO15 1ST
Tel: 0344 338 8660, Ext: 2449"

So just because the app is new they have no ide how to use it!

Finally take a look at the email signature, her name is Beth, Bethany Pritchard or Sophie!!

Is Princess Cruises a joke company?

On 5/10/2021 at 10:22 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

Thanks. But Ugh.

I bought this up before, I honestly don't think the app is tested by anyone other than the developers.

It is details like these that put me of Princess, there are enough things to worry about prior to boarding let alone will this app work when I want it to and will I be able to order anything. 

On 5/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, stitchcreek said:

Every time I go to the "Choose you OceanMedallion" section it add a lanyard for my wife. If you are on the same cruise as us you will recognise use because my wife will have about 10 lanyards on🤣

My wife did login and you've guessed it, another lanyard appeared.

20 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Every time I go to the "Choose you OceanMedallion" section it add a lanyard for my wife. If you are on the same cruise as us you will recognise use because my wife will have about 10 lanyards on🤣

My wife did login and you've guessed it, another lanyard appeared.

Try this and see if it works.  Sign into the ocean medallion using your wife's username and password and see if it allows you to get a lanyard under, your name.  Regarding your post #990.  The only people who know how the app works are based at Headquarters in Miami so the people in UK; are learning the ropes just as you are.  Sorry I don't have better info to send your way.  However, if I find out how to make the app work better; or find a work around I will post back here. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Try this and see if it works.  Sign into the ocean medallion using your wife's username and password and see if it allows you to get a lanyard under, your name.  Regarding your post #990.  The only people who know how the app works are based at Headquarters in Miami so the people in UK; are learning the ropes just as you are.  Sorry I don't have better info to send your way.  However, if I find out how to make the app work better; or find a work around I will post back here. 

No all my wife can do is add yet another lanyard for herself!

I have just received another email from customer services saying that as I book via an agent, the agent can answer any question regarding the app!

And sorry no it is just not acceptable to say the people in the UK are learning the just as I am. They should contact Miami on my behalf and find out the answer.

Never again will I book with Princess if this is an example of their customer service, what happens if it were a bigger problem? Do they just "we don't know"?

Yes I'm pissed with Princess Cruises and they are worse than amateurs.

MX-Drew.  Sorry you have so many issues.  Princess monitors these boards; I have had them get back to me on questions.  another thing you can do; which I do all the time.  Contact Princess thru their Twitter feed; or Facebook page.  They monitor those every day.  

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

People have had problems with them opening up and the medallion falling out. They are large and the lanyard it also large and if I recall. Not adjustable for the length. More cumbersome than useful. My opinion only. Many use the lanyard on other ships for the room card. Why they do that I do not know. I just keep my room card in my pocket. Take it out whenever I need it. 

I have never had an issue with the Medallion falling out of the standard lanyard holder, I don't see how anyone could, unless they mess around with it and probably didn't close the bottom correctly. When I was in IT we called this "Probable user error, turn it off & on again - LOL". The Medallion is the size of a quarter, in the case is about 3in by 2in, not exactly what I would call big, since a standard card would be bigger (3.5x2.2) - they are thicker though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

I have never had an issue with the Medallion falling out of the standard lanyard holder, I don't see how anyone could, unless they mess around with it and probably didn't close the bottom correctly. When I was in IT we called this "Probable user error, turn it off & on again - LOL". The Medallion is the size of a quarter, in the case is about 3in by 2in, not exactly what I would call big, since a standard card would be bigger (3.5x2.2) - they are thicker though.

Some did not snap together properly and opened up. When this all started. People were complaining about them falling out on them. The Medallion is small 1-1/4 inches in diameter the lanyard material itself is wide, thick, LONG and NOT adjustable. The plastic holder is way oversized for it. Sorry, but that thing swinging around just above my belt is not what I call nice looking or comfortable. As for the size of a room card. 2-1/8 x 3-1/2 exactly the same size of a charge card. Just a note. NEVER put the Medallion in your pocket with your charge card. The chip will still be OK but the strip will no longer work.

• Thanks 1

Years ago Princess gave away luggage tags as trivia and other game prizes. We have bags full of them. They are zippered with a clear plastic window on one side, and are the size of a credit card. We cut off the strap. They worked great for holding the cruise cards, and now are very convenient for holding the medallion. When we actually had to scan the medallion just placed the holder up to the screen. When going ashore we place gov't ID, credit card, cash in them. 

As I recall, the cards don't work with the boards located around the ship. You'll be missing out on some of the functions without a Medallion, that is if they don't require people to carry a Medallion for tracing.