Jewelry recommendations

Sea and Me

On 11/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, clo said:

I'm sure you got a good deal but,as was mentioned above, an appraisal value for insurance purposes is always more than something is worth. Not just jewelry.

We have been trying to deliver this message for years.  A high appraisal simply means insurance costs more.  Most insurance policies give the insurance company the right to replace lost (or stolen) jewelry with like stuff.  So if they can replace your $2000 necklace for $400 you will get the $400 replacement which might also be appraised for $2000!

So what is something really worth?  Value-wise it is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.  So the next time a jeweler gives you a $2000 appraisal try asking him/her if they will buy that piece for $1500 and they will generally say NO!  And its even worse in the art world where so much "junk" sold on cruise ships is really worth a fraction of what the "art auctioneer" said it was worth.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:13 AM, clo said:

Totally agree.  Let's see if I can find just one 'goodie.'

20191109_120942 - Edited.jpg

WOW!  I would appraise that beautiful piece at $5000 but will sell it to you for only $2000!  And I will even throw in free shipping :).

Hank

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

WOW!  I would appraise that beautiful piece at $5000 but will sell it to you for only $2000!  And I will even throw in free shipping :).

Since it started life as a plastic soda bottle, sounds like a fair deal 🙂

• Like 1

We've bought several pieces from the Phillipsburg Ballerina's (already mentioned) in Sint Maarten over the years.  They were initially referred to us by a couple who spend their winters on SXM who also enjoy high end jewelry.  We know our gems and esp. diamonds and how they get rated.   I usually bring my loupe if we're thinking of purchasing.

Never had an issue with any purchase we've made from them, and Ballerina's has also bought back a ring or two at the original sale price if we wanted to upgrade that piece.  But do some homework first and get familiar with stone quality and price ranges before cruising.  Don't fall for the trap of a free pendant or other gimmick to get you into a store to hear a high pressure sales pitch.

I have a beautiful natural star sapphire ring that I purchased years ago in St Thomas, very rare to find a natural star sapphire stone that large any more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

Since it started life as a plastic soda bottle, sounds like a fair deal 🙂

Soda bottle?  But I am fairly certain that an onboard Art "Expert" Auctioneer could market the bottle as a "one of a kind" work of art worth over $20,000.  But out of generosity he would start the bidding at $2000.  In order to deal with the skeptics in the audience (do you think that any skeptics attend those faux art auctions?) the "expert" would likely cite Andy Warhol's famous (and valuable) Campbell Soup Can art :).  The "Expert" would probably also hint that the term "Pop Art" came from that "Pop" bottle :).

Hank

P.S.  Since this thread is supposed to be about "jewelry" you might want to attach a valuable $100,000 Tanzanite stone to the bottle.  The art "Expert" would likely mention the stone and simple toss it into the mix at no extra charge.

Buy as much as you can. Even more.

After all, it is 50 percent off AND duty free.  You will get a wonderful appraisal certificate for at least double what you paid . 

Plus...whatever you can gain by using your superior negotiating skills to reduce the price even further.  The salespeople at these stores are complete rookies and give away real discounts willy nilly.

They will will put any amount you request on that 'appraisal' certificate.  Just think of what a great deal you got vis a vis that appraisal certificate.  Genius.

Cannot say fairer than that.  Can you?    We sometimes wonder how these stores remain in business for so long since they sell below cost, below wholesale.  Perhaps they make it up on volume or the perhaps the proprietors are simply kind hearted, generous share the wealth types.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The "Expert" would probably also hint that the term "Pop Art" came from that "Pop" bottle :).

Now that was really funny! I've never been to one of the auctions and obviously made a good decision. We have enough 'stuff' without that kind of 'stuff.'

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Now that was really funny! I've never been to one of the auctions and obviously made a good decision. We have enough 'stuff' without that kind of 'stuff.'

Don't get me wrong.  Those onboard art auctions can often be among the best entertainment on the ship.  The "claims" made by the auctioneers are sometimes enough to make the most jaded used car salesperson blush.  And folks just love that free $2 per bottle faux champagne.

Hank

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, iancal said:

Art auctions.  Just remember...it is not a purchase it is a valuable investment and a wonderful addition to your decor.

Doesn't seem to be anyone supporting these things. Are they embarrassed or are CC's savvy to the process?

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Doesn't seem to be anyone supporting these things. Are they embarrassed or are CC's savvy to the process?

I think they have pretty much been debunked as purveyors of investment grade fine art.  However, I can understand that it can appeal to folks.  I don't know, maybe it can be considered like a collectable.    Anyway, as HLitner says earlier, the auctions can be interesting to watch.  Reminds me of the old county fair vegamatic salesmen.  

We have only been to one shipboard art auction. We did not stay long enough to get any ginger ale, aka champagne.

I will say this.....we found the auction 'show' more amusing than some of the so called comedians that we have been subjected to on various ships over the years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Buy as much as you can. Even more.

After all, it is 50 percent off AND duty free.  You will get a wonderful appraisal certificate for at least double what you paid . 

Plus...whatever you can gain by using your superior negotiating skills to reduce the price even further.  The salespeople at these stores are complete rookies and give away real discounts willy nilly.

They will will put any amount you request on that 'appraisal' certificate.  Just think of what a great deal you got vis a vis that appraisal certificate.  Genius.

Cannot say fairer than that.  Can you?    We sometimes wonder how these stores remain in business for so long since they sell below cost, below wholesale.  Perhaps they make it up on volume or the perhaps the proprietors are simply kind hearted, generous share the wealth types.

Plus, the cut the cruiselines gets helps hold down fares, so by all means buy as much as you can afford.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

We have only been to one shipboard art auction. We did not stay long enough to get any ginger ale, aka champagne.

I will say this.....we found the auction 'show' more amusing than some of the so called comedians that we have been subjected to on various ships over the years.

Perhaps I will start going to the art auctions now.The comedians that have been on my recent cruises have been pretty bad.

• Like 1