Beach BBQ?

chefchick

We are booked on the “Antilles Island Hopping” itinerary Feb 22, 2020.  Although this is not our first time on Windstar, it has been a few years.  Do they still have the beach BBQ on these Caribbean Voyages?  If so can someone venture to guess which day that might be so we can plan excursions accordingly? (See below). Speaking of which, since the ports are smaller,/lesser traveled (which is why we chose WS in the first place) we are finding it hard to locate vendors for excursions (in particular sailing or food related (cooking, rum, etc). For those of you who have been to these ports recently..any suggestions?

thank you in advance for replies- Kelly

Departs Bridgetown, Barbados 6pm

Bequia 8-7

castries, St Lucia 7-10

les saintes, Guadeloupe 9-6

gustavia, st barts 9-10

Virgin Gorda, BVI 8-5

jost Van Dyke, great harbor bvi 8-5

san Juan , PR disembark

On 11/13/2019 at 3:05 PM, chefchick said:

We are booked on the “Antilles Island Hopping” itinerary Feb 22, 2020.  Although this is not our first time on Windstar, it has been a few years.  Do they still have the beach BBQ on these Caribbean Voyages?  If so can someone venture to guess which day that might be so we can plan excursions accordingly? (See below). Speaking of which, since the ports are smaller,/lesser traveled (which is why we chose WS in the first place) we are finding it hard to locate vendors for excursions (in particular sailing or food related (cooking, rum, etc). For those of you who have been to these ports recently..any suggestions?

Bequia 8-7

castries, St Lucia 7-10

gustavia, st barts 9-10

Virgin Gorda, BVI 8-5

san Juan , PR disembark

St Lucia..Cisol tours..around eight each..fun day we some food and rum and beer

st Bart’s,.shell  beach or Nikki besch

VG?.the baths..no shade in. Each.decent resturant

JVD..beach..run and lunch, never seen more just hang at beach

san juan..rum, old town and forte..all,DIY

9 hours ago, chefchick said:

Thank you Ellbon.  Do you know if there are taxis available at the tender drop off on Jost Van Dyke to get you over the hill to the Soggy dollar bar?

Yes there are. The open air trucks with seats in the back for 8 to 10 folks. It's a short trip

On 11/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, chefchick said:

Thank you Ellbon.  Do you know if there are taxis available at the tender drop off on Jost Van Dyke to get you over the hill to the Soggy dollar bar?

The joke is I was there by a day trip from St Thomas . We were let off right at the beach bar. This time I plan to go to Foxxy. I want to,spend money locally. Plus have a few Painkillers.at least I know I can trip back up the hill to the tender dock,

On 11/15/2019 at 10:47 AM, chefchick said:

Thanks Surmy. That’s what I remember.  Can’t wait...I can taste the painkillers now 😎

We typically spend a week on JVD for New Years. We stop at Soggys for the "tick" but then move on to the locals at Gertrudes, Seddys and Coco Locos. Getrudes (Foxys ex-wife) and Coco Locos (Foxys son Wendell) will let you pour your own drink. Excellent Roti's for lunch at Gertrudes made with love by Olga. Enjoy!  🙂

I think your BBQ will be on Virgin Gorda. We are not excursion folks  so not sure we can help you but we love the following on this trip which we have  done  many times with WS:

Bequia you can take a cab over to Friendship Bay, beautiful beach, small hotel, if you buy a drink you can use their chairs etc. Princess  Margaret's Beach is a path on the right from the  harbor easy  and beautiful rent chairs, little restaurants there.

Les Saints walk with the cows and goats to Plage Pompier a georgeous beach, go left up the hill keep going left and up you will see signs, small stands picnic tables, beautiful bay great for swimming. Great real French crepe stand in town on the right from the harbor, on the left side of the road, the owner Is  grumpy, they use the real French flour, yes there is a huge difference. Delicious best I have ever had in North America. Put up with the grumpiness great crepes and I speak French and he is still grumpy. 

Jost Van Dyke of course Gertrude's great beach, White Bay, fried conk fabulous. 
Love that trip. Happy Sailing

On 11/13/2019 at 3:05 PM, chefchick said:

Bequia 8-7

castries, St Lucia 7-10

gustavia, st barts 9-10

Virgin Gorda, BVI 8-5

san Juan , PR disembark

Castries very busy and very touristy. Suggest you do a ship's tour if they are of any interest to you or hire a cab or look at booking a tour from another source to get out of the city. The island is beautiful, volcano and botanical gardens lovely. Good zip lining if you're into that. Keep in mind it is very mountainous so distances are deceiving. Jost is White Bay for sure, a bathing suit, and Gertrudes. St Barts wandering in town or for a special day, take a cab to Nikki Beach, eat and enjoy seeing how the other half lives. Expensive but fun. Virgin Gorda, if you don't feel like the strenuous part of The Baths, the driver that takes you to the beach BBQ spot will take you to The Top of the Baths for $4.00 pp. Nice restaurant,  bar and shops. The spot for the beach party is not our favorite but some people love it. Great itinerary.  We just did a similar one. 

Thank you for all the replies...since hearing that the beach BBQ will probably be VG, we went ahead and booked a half day sail in St Lucia and other than that we are probably going to go ashore in the other ports...look for a lovely bar or local restaurant for lunch...rinse and repeat 😎

Gotta love the Caribbean. 

On 11/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, Strenz said:

I think your BBQ will be on Virgin Gorda. We are not excursion folks  so not sure we can help you but we love the following on this trip which we have  done  many times with WS:

Bequia you can take a cab over to Friendship Bay, beautiful beach, small hotel, if you buy a drink you can use their chairs etc. Princess  Margaret's Beach is a path on the right from the  harbor easy  and beautiful rent chairs, little restaurants there.

Les Saints walk with the cows and goats to Plage Pompier a georgeous beach, go left up the hill keep going left and up you will see signs, small stands picnic tables, beautiful bay great for swimming. Great real French crepe stand in town on the right from the harbor, on the left side of the road, the owner Is  grumpy, they use the real French flour, yes there is a huge difference. Delicious best I have ever had in North America. Put up with the grumpiness great crepes and I speak French and he is still grumpy. 

Jost Van Dyke of course Gertrude's great beach, White Bay, fried conk fabulous. 
Love that trip. Happy Sailing

Thanks for all this good info!  How long of a walk is it to Plage de Pompier at Les Saints from the tender pier?  Is it pretty clear where to go up that hill?

Pam

Hi Pam,

Plage Pompier takes me about 20 minutes. I am 71 in ok shape I swim everyday and walk almost everyday. You go up a hill out of the village about half way there it becomes flat to the beach. The beach does  not have a big drop to get in the water. If you leave a bag open in the tiny park which is part of the beach area the goats  will get into it especially if there is food, even the smell of gum. It is a small bay so no rip currents or big waves. The top of the hill has beautiful views of the harbor and beyond. You can take a golf cart cab, regular cab, rent a golf cart or walk back which is all down hill. Extremely safe and lovely. I love the walk. I love that island. Enjoy. Happy Sailing.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, minidonuts85 said:

We typically spend a week on JVD for New Years. We stop at Soggys for the "tick" but then move on to the locals at Gertrudes, Seddys and Coco Locos. Getrudes (Foxys ex-wife) and Coco Locos (Foxys son Wendell) will let you pour your own drink. Excellent Roti's for lunch at Gertrudes made with love by Olga. Enjoy!  🙂

Thanks going in Dec,

On 11/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, Strenz said:

Hi Pam,

Plage Pompier takes me about 20 minutes. I am 71 in ok shape I swim everyday and walk almost everyday. You go up a hill out of the village about half way there it becomes flat to the beach. The beach does  not have a big drop to get in the water. If you leave a bag open in the tiny park which is part of the beach area the goats  will get into it especially if there is food, even the smell of gum. It is a small bay so no rip currents or big waves. The top of the hill has beautiful views of the harbor and beyond. You can take a golf cart cab, regular cab, rent a golf cart or walk back which is all down hill. Extremely safe and lovely. I love the walk. I love that island. Enjoy. Happy Sailing.

Hi Strenz!

That sounds perfect!  We will be there on the Wind Surf in March.  Can hardly wait.  Too funny about the goats.  I will get such a kick out of watching them:-)  I so appreciate the information!!!

Pam