Crystal regular thinking of trying Oceania

ivyleaguegent

Hi Folks,

I am a regular Crystal cruiser but I am considering taking a spring cruise on the Sirena (Crystal doesn't sail the Caribbean in the spring). I have never sailed on Oceania before. While I realize that the two cruise lines are in different segments of the market I would like to hear the thoughts of those who have sailed on both lines recently as to how different the two experiences are such as food, staff, entertainment, etc.

Thank you.

I wrote a VERY extensive comparison of the two lines after my first Crystal cruise on this forum.

For some reason my search cannot locate this post - perhaps you or someone else will have more luck locating it and posting a link.

It should give you some ideas of the differences as perceived by me.

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I wrote a VERY extensive comparison of the two lines after my first Crystal cruise on this forum.

For some reason my search cannot locate this post - perhaps you or someone else will have more luck locating it and posting a link.

It should give you some ideas of the differences as perceived by me.

Paul I cannot remember when you did the Crystal cruise

found  your comments on this thread  though

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2687735-crystal-dining-room-vs-oceania-question/

Hi

I think you will like Sirena You will miss some things Crystal offers like the really outstanding and experienced service in some areas, but the difference between the two lines IMO is not a show stopper

Enjoy 

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Paul I cannot remember when you did the Crystal cruise

found  your comments on this thread  though

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2687735-crystal-dining-room-vs-oceania-question/

Thanks Lyn - yes, I did make some comments on that thread but it does not have my full review.

The Crystal cruise was in the spring of 2018 (IIRC).  

I am away from home so I have no access to my desktop.

I am a regular Oceania cruiser and had one occasion to experience Crystal . My wife and I were invited to dinner aboard one evening. We found the waiter to be overbearing and the women’s food portions to be smaller than the men’s when we ordered the same item. Enough for us to reaffirm our continued bookings on O. 

We were loyal Oceania cruisers, with 14 Oceania cruises on both R and the larger ships.   We have been on both the Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, and think overall, Crystal is a higher level of service and food.   The food, to us, is just prepared better, more savory taste, and better flavor overall.  The desserts are about the same on both, imho.  Where Oceania stands out, is Jacques on Marina and Riviera.  I don’t think Crystal compares to that type of cuisine.   I am a woman, and very active, so I do have a healthy appetite, and found that my portion was the exact same size as DH’s on Crystal (not that I am arguing that the previous poster didn’t see that). We love the enrichment seminars (note I didn’t refer to them as lectures), on Crystal better than Oceania.  On Oceania, we find the lecturers to be reciting notes, or speaking more like a college professor.   The service just seems a bit more polished on Crystal, with a more emphasis on the little things.    The only thing I will say, as non drinkers, we cannot comment on the drink pkg on Oceania, vs the included cocktails on Crystal.   However, the bars/lounges on Crystal, just seem more upscale (even to non drinkers), and have more opportunities for socializing than Oceania.   We also don’t do cruise sponsored excursions, so cannot comment on that either.   Only you can decide if you will like Oceania.