Live From the Summit from SJ 11/16

Steelers0854

Hello All!

DW and I are DINKs in our 30s and this will be our very first Celebrity cruise!  We started off on Princess and loved the line so much we stuck around until we hit Platinum.  After that we wanted to try the other lines out there, and we have finally hit Celebrity and couldn’t be more excited.

We are heading out tomorrow to the beautiful Island of San Juan, PR.  The cruise doesn’t begin until Saturday but we wanted to come into San Juan a little early.  Our first time in San Juan was on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year and we immediately fell in love with the city.  Beautiful rich history and wonderful people, we knew we wanted to go back.  So being that we wanted to go on a Celebrity cruise and we wanted to do it out of San Juan that brought us to the newly remodeled Summit!

We have been to every island on this trip (St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados) so this will be more of a go with the flow and relax type of trip.  We always go with a balcony cabin, we love the extra space and our own little part of the ship to enjoy especially at night and early in the AM.  I was reading about move up offers and when they became available online I threw a bid in for Aqua Class at $200 pp (the minimum was $100 and max was $800) so i figured we wouldn’t get it.  Much to my surprise I opened my email on Tuesday and our bid was accepted and we moved up to Aqua Class.  While we are spa people I mainly did it for Blu.  DW has a number of food allergies (Gluten, Dairy and Eggs) and while every cruise line has been more than accommodating i figured the more personal service in Blu may be easier on her and also possibly give her some more options.  Our last cruise for her was basically chicken and rice every night, so it was kind of boring.

Please feel free to follow along, post any questions and I will do my best to answer them along the way.  I wont have the Celebrity Wi-Fi plan, wayyy too expensive, instead I will have service in each port thanks to Google Fi and the great service at an unbeatable price.

So our bags are packed and it couldn’t have come at a better time with this arctic chill hitting almost the entire US.  Going to be an early morning tomorrow with a flight before the crack of dawn.

Next stop ...... the Caribe Hilton in San Juan!

• Like 4

Anxious to follow along!  We board the 23rd for our first cruise on the Summit.  We've been on the Solstice class ships several times.  We have a different itinerary, but interested to hear your experience and what you enjoy on the ship.  Have a wonderful week!

We're on Summit for the first time next week, so I'll be following along!  Can you check if Qsine is indeed gone, replaced by Le Petite Chef?

In case you can't watch the game tonight, I'll be cheering on the Steelers for you  🙂 

• Like 1

We will be on the Summit next week with a group of 16.  If you are looking for a place in Old San Juan for dinner, I suggest Marmalade.  It is run by Chef Peter from Iowa and the food is great.  A little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

The Summit is one of my favorites and I am looking forward to seeing the changes.

Have fun!!

18 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

Hello All!

DW and I are DINKs in our 30s and this will be our very first Celebrity cruise!  We started off on Princess and loved the line so much we stuck around until we hit Platinum.  After that we wanted to try the other lines out there, and we have finally hit Celebrity and couldn’t be more excited.

We are heading out tomorrow to the beautiful Island of San Juan, PR.  The cruise doesn’t begin until Saturday but we wanted to come into San Juan a little early.  Our first time in San Juan was on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year and we immediately fell in love with the city.  Beautiful rich history and wonderful people, we knew we wanted to go back.  So being that we wanted to go on a Celebrity cruise and we wanted to do it out of San Juan that brought us to the newly remodeled Summit!

We have been to every island on this trip (St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados) so this will be more of a go with the flow and relax type of trip.  We always go with a balcony cabin, we love the extra space and our own little part of the ship to enjoy especially at night and early in the AM.  I was reading about move up offers and when they became available online I threw a bid in for Aqua Class at $200 pp (the minimum was $100 and max was $800) so i figured we wouldn’t get it.  Much to my surprise I opened my email on Tuesday and our bid was accepted and we moved up to Aqua Class.  While we are spa people I mainly did it for Blu.  DW has a number of food allergies (Gluten, Dairy and Eggs) and while every cruise line has been more than accommodating i figured the more personal service in Blu may be easier on her and also possibly give her some more options.  Our last cruise for her was basically chicken and rice every night, so it was kind of boring.

Please feel free to follow along, post any questions and I will do my best to answer them along the way.  I wont have the Celebrity Wi-Fi plan, wayyy too expensive, instead I will have service in each port thanks to Google Fi and the great service at an unbeatable price.

So our bags are packed and it couldn’t have come at a better time with this arctic chill hitting almost the entire US.  Going to be an early morning tomorrow with a flight before the crack of dawn.

Next stop ...... the Caribe Hilton in San Juan!

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for taking us along. One favor, could you increase your font size. Currently it's very small. 

• Like 1

We will be on the cruise with you and on the next one from Nov. 23rd. I had my last day at work today, packing tomorrow and flight from Frankfurt on Saturday morning (there is only one airline going directly from Germany to Puerto Rico and only on Saturdays).

I am curious to read your review. 🙂

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

Ok. So I flipped these upside down on my phone and no matter what I do they post upside down. Sorry about that!

one last thing to try and see if this turns out. Here is the view from the patio

That seems to work! Can you flip the ones previously posted?  Looking forward to your review, we’ve done Summit from SJ and thought it was great...would love to go again and see what’s changed on her! Have fun!!

Edited by Barwick Cruiser

9 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

So basically I’m holding my phone wrong lol. I use an iPhone and take the photos with the volume buttons on the top. Apparently for CC you have to take them with the volume buttons on the bottom. Go figure. I tried to flip them after I took them and they still post upside down. Sorry!

1 minute ago, Steelers0854 said:

So basically I’m holding my phone wrong lol. I use an iPhone and take the photos with the volume buttons on the top. Apparently for CC you have to take them with the volume buttons on the bottom. Go figure. I tried to flip them after I took them and they still post upside down. Sorry!

Haha, no worries, at least you got it sorted! 

1 hour ago, Steelers0854 said:

😁  User error, as the techies used to tell us at work.  Glad you discovered the cause.  Will be interested to see more photos of the Caribe Hilton.  Many, many, many years ago when I lived in Puerto Rico, it was pretty much the only game in town.  We are doing this cruise next spring, so will be interested to see how it goes for you.

Another restaurant recommendation for you:  Oceano.  Also pricey, but so worth it.  One of the best meals I've ever had.

Enjoy!

The Caribe Hilton is beautiful. The staff is wonderful and we are enjoying our stay thus far. The lobby is open air and it took me back to being in Hawaii. The grounds are large with picturesque views. 

BD449E59-DAB0-4124-85D5-CA17A4393A98.jpeg

36159388-CF63-4D5A-B257-EBCAD9248CA2.jpeg

Edited by Steelers0854
  • Like 1

Yay! Timing couldn’t be more perfect as we are doing this same itin on he summit 11/30.  We stayed at the caribe Hilton years ago. Looks like they have made some changes/upgrades?  Thanks so much as I will be following along for sure. 

Looking forward to your review!  Doing this exact same itinerary in a couple of months on the Summit on January 25, 2020.  Will also be my first time sailing Celebrity.  Actually, the entire trip will be firsts as I've never been to San Juan or any of the ports!

2 hours ago, maggieq said:

Yay! Timing couldn’t be more perfect as we are doing this same itin on he summit 11/30.  We stayed at the caribe Hilton years ago. Looks like they have made some changes/upgrades?  Thanks so much as I will be following along for sure. 

The hotel was shut down in 2017 due to the hurricane and just recently reopened after extensive renovations. 

Great pictures @Steelers0854