Live From the Summit from SJ 11/16

Steelers0854

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I can't speak to dairy, but regarding gluten and fries, sometimes there is something in the coating of the fries that makes them not gluten-free (McDonald's in particular has been guilty of this - I don't eat there anymore, so I don't know if anything has changed). But more importantly, unless the fries are made in a fryer that ONLY fries (without any gluten-containing coating) are cooked in, there is cross-contamination as most other things that are fried have breading on them.

(Actually I guess the dairy thing could be cross-contamination as well if they are frying cheese or if any breading contain dairy.)

yup. You are right on. The fries on board have been “naked” because we have to watch for that in addition to potatoes. If they are pre-pared they can have some kind of seasoning/coating on them as well. 

thankfully DW doesn’t get sick with cross contamination, only if she eats it but others should be aware as well. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:30 PM, Steelers0854 said:

Looks like yes it had converted over to Le Petite Chef

0C8ED89E-FD0A-407A-BF14-0452683F7DB5.thumb.jpeg.1d7c2ab10918b9e9c31c4ec692224146.jpeg

8CD5BAB1-B42D-4471-9C1A-1D04D2363B3C.thumb.jpeg.6d67b637ef375f66382fb9652e3a8c0a.jpeg

so we found out that this week is the very first week for Le Petite Chef onboard. The people that have been eating there have been raving about it. One couple even said they booked it again for later in the week. $55pp seems steep for a 4 course meal, especially given how good the food has been thus far. 

7 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

so we found out that this week is the very first week for Le Petite Chef onboard. The people that have been eating there have been raving about it. One couple even said they booked it again for later in the week. $55pp seems steep for a 4 course meal, especially given how good the food has been thus far. 

The next time somebody tries to sell you a specialty restaurant meal, tell them you'll do Le Petit Chef on a 2 for 1 deal.  They'll either take it or no.  But if you're firm about the 2/1 deal, they'll probably leave you alone in the future.

• Like 1

Enjoying your review.    I'm also a Steelers fan....actually a season ticket holder...although I live in Philly.    My sister back home controls the tix.   

Anyway.    Can you tell us your room #?     Clearly you're in Aqua Class.     We are doing Summit, our first time on Celebrity, in February.   We have 9084, 9086, 9088.    We'll be doing the ABCs plus St. Kitts.     Have done St. Kitss before, but looking forward to the ABCs

Looking forward to reading and seeing more.

Steeleres0854- thanks for taking us along and for all of the information and photos. Although we are leaving on the Reflection in 3 weeks, we will be on the Summit for the repositioning trip back to Bayonne on May 2 as well. Have not been on the Summit since Dec 2017, before the refit/refurb/update or whatever you want to call it.
After seeing your photos and all of the information you are providing, it makes me look forward to this trip very much.
Hope the rest of your trip is great.

Thanks again for all the info and pics

Jed

3 minutes ago, JEDMELK said:

Steeleres0854- thanks for taking us along and for all of the information and photos. Although we are leaving on the Reflection in 3 weeks, we will be on the Summit for the repositioning trip back to Bayonne on May 2 as well. Have not been on the Summit since Dec 2017, before the refit/refurb/update or whatever you want to call it.
After seeing your photos and all of the information you are providing, it makes me look forward to this trip very much.
Hope the rest of your trip is great.

Thanks again for all the info and pics

Jed

Tiny suggestion Jed. While the font you're using is classy looking it's hard to read....especially on a phone. 

9 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Tiny suggestion Jed. While the font you're using is classy looking it's hard to read....especially on a phone. 

Suzy, Thanks for your info however I believe the issue may in fact be operating systems. I posted from a Mac using comic sans which is in fact very simple and straight forward (see screen shot attached actually of your post appearing on a Mac) 

It appears my friends that we have uncovered yet another little glitch with the "New and Improved" CruiseCritic coding.

image.thumb.png.0c32cbe0bb889260976dca16ca886a89.png

I appreciate the input but am also very aware of readability issues (that comes from 45 years of work experience)

The bottom line, Hopefully the point has come across that I appreciate what Steelers0854 is doing for us and the time he is spending while on vacation

Jed

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dbcruzin said:

Since you were able to be on the ship so early on embarkation day, were you allowed to disembark and explore old San Juan if you wanted or did you have to stay on the ship once you embarked?

It’s a good question and honestly I don’t know. We saw plenty of people leave the ship, but they may have been crew. I don’t see why you couldn’t but I don’t know for sure. 

St Kitts Day 3

It was another sleep in kind of morning but both of us were up before the 8am breakfast alarm (I mean who could miss a Blu dining room breakfast right?!?).

We threw on some clothes and I had the berry pecan pancakes and some eggs while DW had museli (with almond milk) and fruit that she had ordered the night before.

After breakfast we sat on the balcony and read for a bit before heading to the gym. I have to rant for a brief minute here. I love to cycle, I like riding my road bike and I also enjoy spin classes.  Now I can understand on a port intensive cruise not offering classes on port days, I don’t like it but I can understand it.  What I can’t understand is locking up and not allowing anyone to use the bikes unless its in a class.  That’s a pure money grab for me and i think its total BS.  If you were having daily classes fine. But 1 class in 8 days is just stupid. Unlock the bikes and let those of us that want to use them use them.  Ok, sorry end of rant.

After working out we got ready for our day. We read some more by the Cafe Bacio.  They have comfy chairs with nice views.  While they have a selection of sweets all the time I really miss the International Cafe on Princess that would have sandwiches and salads and fruit.  We headed to lunch and DW was excited as there were numerous options for her today. I won’t pretend to be important enough that someone on board actually reads this, but if you are, thank you!  I grabbed a delicious chicken salad sandwich and we enjoyed our lunch with a beautiful view.

After lunch we lounged around.  We had booked massages for 2pm on a special, $149 for 80 minutes with the hot stones.  That was about $50 cheaper than the posted rate.  The massages were great and just what we needed.

Afterwards we headed to the international hair show in the spa.  DW was selected to get her hair done as a demonstration. She looked just like Jackie O when she was done.  They do great work, but for even greater prices.

It was dinner time again  and we headed to Blu, meeting the other 4 couples that always Get there with us at 5:30pm sharp.  Here were tonight’s menus.

58C4A6F0-A0FC-4EC6-8300-712974BBCC1A.thumb.jpeg.d05732184b30a81dbadfa2ea9967a4aa.jpeg

079ECCA3-7F14-4304-A483-AA9A83B16A4F.thumb.jpeg.c17ae7a0812975fb186ad8fb09c1e451.jpeg

6E7CDD38-1733-4214-93CA-7546CCDF724D.thumb.jpeg.ec174973b9b7659aa8a6e0e7025e4ee4.jpeg

DW had a salad and the chicken breast with veggies, which she said were delicious.

14B1EEAA-D96E-4940-8824-52BD972E0552.thumb.jpeg.f277a640a06d7305e96fad65227563a3.jpeg

I had, brace yourselves, the lump crab, escargot, wedge salad and the Branzino from the MDR menu.  It was all delicious and proved to me that the food on board no matter where you eat is delicious.

BAB5369A-AA35-41BC-89EB-E7A3FD6A1A0F.thumb.jpeg.e4fca4279e3360e7f8feb88010f45013.jpeg

FB9CCC0E-2750-4691-87E8-E09B5D9F840A.thumb.jpeg.fccea07d9f1e53df10f488627f0abafa.jpeg

F9DA9BD8-CD52-4382-9FAD-902AB92BA0AD.thumb.jpeg.af36eed0e3f808a0b30ebd1c4413fc57.jpeg

E9159F64-E4BD-464C-9FEF-32F2C05B9BC0.thumb.jpeg.83795832ce5904074b744e3d9053945a.jpeg

For dessert DW got specially made rice pudding which she said was the best thing she has eaten since she found out about her allergy. I really have to give the staff credit, they have been extremely creative with her meals.  With Carnival it was the same bland chicken and rice every night and nothing else.  Take it or leave it.  Here they jump though hoops and it is heart warming.  I got the tiramisu. 

4490FAAC-6580-4826-B76B-F1FF5AF50ACB.thumb.jpeg.cbdd2baacc4ad23ca17fcdf5b8dadf7a.jpeg

8C5C2999-E8EF-4C5B-88BF-6C67D6BCB5CA.thumb.jpeg.63b75d913217110ced41d9e76e868a1c.jpeg

After dinner we went the the show tonight from the Barricade Boys. They were FANTASTIC. Such a great talent was a lot of fun to listen too.  This show was better attended than last night but still was sparsely attended. After that there was nothing else that looked interesting so we headed to the cabin and sat on the balcony and enjoyed the evening.  We were traveling so slow we thought we were standing still at one point.  But there was still a nice breeze to offset the humidity.

15 hours ago, dbcruzin said:

Since you were able to be on the ship so early on embarkation day, were you allowed to disembark and explore old San Juan if you wanted or did you have to stay on the ship once you embarked?

Yes - You can check in and leave the ship in SJU since Summit departs late (usually 8:30 pm).   We have gone for an early dinner in Old San Juan.

Just check muster drill and "all aboard" times.  This past January (2019) muster drill was an inconvenient 4:45pm.  Lots of people missed it.  Prior years it was 7:30pm....so it's been changing.

4 hours ago, cruise47 said:

To the OP, thanks for taking the time to share your outstanding reviews and photos.

you’re most welcome. Glad you’re enjoy it. I find it a great way to unwind at the end of the day and document our travels. They are fun to go back and relive the trip down the road. 

3 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

Just check muster drill and "all aboard" times.  This past January (2019) muster drill was an inconvenient 4:45pm.  Lots of people missed it.  Prior years it was 7:30pm....so it's been changing.

Ours was also at 4:45 but they also had a well publicized makeup one at 7:30. 

2 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

sorry. I looked through the cabin and didn’t find anything with laundry prices on it. 

No problem. During my last sailing there was something in the clothes closet that listed prices. As @wrk2cruise pointed out, the prices are listed online however, I was hoping to see if there were discrepancies from the prices listed onboard. We all know how accurate the celebrity website can be. T Hanks anyway for checking! I'm very much enjoying your blog!

Thank you for the fun read!  Any chance you might be able to post a copy of the "Spotlight" listing officers names & pictures.  Apparently, this is available at Guest Services. Also, if you have access to Retreat Concierge & Luminae Maitre D?  Thank you in advance!!!