What to do in Roatan? This time=partial handicapped

mitsugirly

We have been here many times and thinking about booking a cruise that returns here again. IF we book the cruise we are thinking about, which is only a month away and I need to hurry and make plans...I will have to have a "certain" type of place to go to this time around. 

In the past, we have done Ziplining and West Bay with Victor Bodden, Maya Key, Little French Key x3, and went diving at Flowers Bay and West Bay.

Normally I would be diving again...except circumstances have changed for me. We are a beach loving, snorkeling loving, diving loving family and almost everything revolves around doing one of those activities. 

Here's the catch (for those of you that don't know me or haven't read my recent Breakaway review from August)... 2 days after returning from my last cruise, I fell and broke my leg (3 places around my ankle/fibula/tibia), chopped off my ankle, and a fibula fracture as well). It has been a living nightmare with a surgery consisting of plates and screws on both sides, 2 torn ligaments, and screws fusing the tibia and fibula together for now. Also, developing 3 blood clots, an infection, then a second surgery for the infection. I now possibly await a 3rd surgery in the near future. I NEED TO GET OUTTA HERE AND RELIEVE MY MIND at this point. I've been cooped up in the house for almost 3 months and I need a vacation!!! Like really really bad!!!

I have started to learn to walk again. I do well with a boot. However, I can't go long distances before tiring too much and my foot hurting at the heel from standing on it. If I have my boot on, I do great. I do ok barefooted...no shoes for me at this point due to the continued swelling since the day of the accident. They have no idea when this swelling will go down. 

I would still like to visit a beach however. I need some type of normalcy in my life.  I figured visiting a beach I could walk in my boot...even to the water, then remove it and go in carefully. That means I would need a very sandy area with no rocks and if at all possible, gentle waves that wouldn't knock me over. My husband did say that if I couldn't do it, he would carry me out to the water and "release me". 😄   Are there any places like this? Gentle water? Maybe in a cove area? I'm also considering buying a second boot to take with me as a "water boot" that I could just leave it on and walk out into the water. 

I have considered a place like Maya Key again. It's been years since we have been there and I do know that the beach was an easy entry (although small) and somewhat gentle waves. They also have a pool with steps going down into it if the beach didn't work out. Now for the snorkeling...I honestly don't remember (and don't have any pictures for some reason) what it's like going down/up in the water at the end of the pier. If it has stairs (and not a ladder) I could probably ease down and drop in and at least put my goggles on and stay right by the steps to see the fishies. 😄 I'm just going to die if I can't do any snorkeling at all this cruise. Although I have no idea what my foot/ankle will be like in a fin and my range of motion isn't going to be the absolute greatest, I plan on trying it out in the water at the beach first to see if I can kick at all with that leg. I will also take my ankle brace as well for support. But I know that water therapy is always a good thing when it comes to healing and it allows you to work on things without the pressure of gravity. I know my limits and I won't push them. I will also have my hubby to help me out. Now I do remember the water being a little wavy in the snorkeling area. If it's too bad, I wouldn't risk it, but it could have just been the day we were there. 

Come on you wonderful people of cruise critic....help me out and give me some ideas. I really need this!!

OOO:classic_ohmy:  Sorry to hear of your injuries.  Agree, getting out would be beneficial to at least your emotional recovery.

I seem to recall from old Fin and Feathers days that Maya Key had a fairly rocky bottom and you climbed down into the water.  Memory may be off.  See if the cruise offers an excursion to Sol y Mar. Or Turquoise Bay.  I know you love the independence of doing your own thing, but having the assist this time could ease the stress.   Buy the "water boot". :classic_biggrin:

Hoping the new dock is completed so NCL no longer has to tender.

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Maya Key - the snorkel area is out a long pier and entry is a ladder to 10' deep water.  No sandy bottom at all.  We were there in 2014 so things may have changed but I doubt it.

If you want a sandy beach I would say go to West End/Bay area - Bananarama or Tabyana beach.  Sandy beach and walk out into water to a reef to snorkel.  

take care!

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. The year I broke my leg I was like I caged tiger and mine was clean with surgery the day I did it. Yours sounds awful. 

I think you have been to West Bay and were not happy,  maybe it was poor weather. As said above, it is easy walk in to good reef snorkeling if you get far enough out. You maybe better seved at Tabayana so you don't have to walk down the beach from one of the other resorts. Although Paradise is close, there are also plenty of others to choose from. 

I don't think the snorkling is as good in West End, Half Moon Bay and one need be very careful of the boats of they chose not to stay within the buoy.  

Snorkeling in Sandy Bay need be done from a pier and any place else on the island the reef is to far out to swim. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:58 AM, crewsweeper said:

OOO:classic_ohmy:  Sorry to hear of your injuries.  Agree, getting out would be beneficial to at least your emotional recovery.

I seem to recall from old Fin and Feathers days that Maya Key had a fairly rocky bottom and you climbed down into the water.  Memory may be off.  See if the cruise offers an excursion to Sol y Mar. Or Turquoise Bay.  I know you love the independence of doing your own thing, but having the assist this time could ease the stress.   Buy the "water boot". :classic_biggrin:

Hoping the new dock is completed so NCL no longer has to tender.

I do need some emotional recovery for sure! It's been a bad 3 months and I'm going out of my mind!

Yes, Maya Key has a rocky bottom that you climb into the water from the dock...in the snorkeling area. But the beach area was not rocky. I was just trying to figure out if the snorkeling area had stairs versus a ladder that you go down into the water. It would make all the difference in the world.

I love the way Turquoise Bay looks. How far is it located from the dock? I can still do things on my own and walk in my boot. I really don't plan on using my wheelchair while in port. Is the water calm there? Is it in a cove setting?

When I look up the day we would be there, it shows we are the only one in port. I hope this holds true because I'm not even sure how/if I could do a tender transfer with my boot and being so unsteady on my feet. I have completely lost my balance these days and have been working on that in PT.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:20 AM, ABQrobin said:

Glad to hear you are doing better!

Maya Key - the snorkel area is out a long pier and entry is a ladder to 10' deep water.  No sandy bottom at all.  We were there in 2014 so things may have changed but I doubt it.

If you want a sandy beach I would say go to West End/Bay area - Bananarama or Tabyana beach.  Sandy beach and walk out into water to a reef to snorkel.  

take care!

So the entry is by ladder? Darnit! I was hoping for steps (something like Chankanaab) but couldn't remember. I'm not sure I can do a ladder at this point. I do know the bottom is not sandy in the snorkeling area (I've been there before) but the beach part was sandy (and that's what I was referring to when I spoke about the sandy bottom).

Since we have been to West Bay several times now, I'm not sure I want to go back there for just a "beach" day. I would be diving here again had this not happened to me with my foot/leg. I'm so sad. I absolutely loved diving there a few months ago.

Tell me about West End Robin. I haven't been there yet. What are the beaches like and is there ANY snorkeling really close up to the beach area? I need a sandy walk in (and hopefully not crashing waves type of water because the last thing I need is to be pushed down) but yet I'm not sure if I'm going to actually be able to "swim" with my foot yet. I may have to forget all about my love for snorkeling this time around. But thought it was worth the "ask" to everyone.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, Guest 2000 said:

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. The year I broke my leg I was like I caged tiger and mine was clean with surgery the day I did it. Yours sounds awful. 

I think you have been to West Bay and were not happy,  maybe it was poor weather. As said above, it is easy walk in to good reef snorkeling if you get far enough out. You maybe better seved at Tabayana so you don't have to walk down the beach from one of the other resorts. Although Paradise is close, there are also plenty of others to choose from. 

I don't think the snorkling is as good in West End, Half Moon Bay and one need be very careful of the boats of they chose not to stay within the buoy.  

Snorkeling in Sandy Bay need be done from a pier and any place else on the island the reef is to far out to swim. 

Thanks so much Guest. I've been like a caged tiger as well and just need to get out! I can't stand it anymore!!!

We've had good weather twice there and bad once (at West Bay). But, the beach itself, I really don't care for. I'm not sure what it is. Then there's all the vendors that just won't leave you alone. To me, it's the ideal place to snorkel and dive, but not just for the beach.

Tell me more about Paradise. I know there's a place the cruisers talk about paying to go there and they have a pool and you can only go there by cruise ship. Is this the place?

Although the snorkeling may not be as good at West End, if there's some and I can easily walk out into the water then it may work for me. I can't be too picky. If Half Moon Bay at West End? What are the beaches like there? Any natural shade by the water? Is the water calmer there than West Bay? The times we have been to West Bay, it had quite a bit of waves and even some "crashing" waves that I don't think I would be too comfortable there if it's always like that.

On 11/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, #1TravelMom said:

So sorry to hear of your injuries.  

Have you considered Mayan Princess?  They have an amazing pool, a nice buffet, and very short walk onto the beach.  We spent 8 days here and it was fabulous.  

Thank you.

This is the one located on West Bay? Is it the one that cruisers talk about having to book with the cruise line to go there?

West Bay is more offten than not bathtub calm so there musta been some weather someplace (off shore) to make waves.  Mayan Princess and Paradise are both on West Bay,  both are public. I sure undestand wanting to avoid the vendors. The cruise ship only space on West Bay is Tabyana, it is located between Infinty Bay and Grand Roatan. Paradise and Mayan both have pools. 

I have not been to Turquiose Bay, I don't know what the water situation is, I only know the reef is to far out to get to without a boat. 

There is definightly snorkling from a sandy beach in West End's Half Moon Bay. I think it is more protected than West Bay but it is also smaller so one need watch for boats. There is a grove of trees between on part of the bay between the beach and the main road in West End, I have n idea if it is pubilc space or who one might pay to use it.  I know once upon a time Sundowner's offered loungers. Maybe Ginger's as well. Sundowner's was recently remodled. 

Turquoise Bay with NCL: The cheapest they offer is $99/adult $49 child

This comes with a welcome drink and you can use the pool it says. 5 1/2 hours.

Maya Key with NCL: $79 adults $59 child. Comes with lunch and has the pool and it states they now have 2 beaches (so they must have expanded since we were there).

Tabyana with NCL: $85 adults $71 child It looks like there's no chairs offered with shade (umbrellas) and located close to the Iguana wall?

I've considered something like going to Gumbalimba Animal Sanctuary as well. $79 & $59 for 3 1/2 hours. I have an animal loving child that might like this, but not sure about a "guided" tour where they speak to no ends about everything (which she/we end up getting bored if it takes too long). It does mention a fresh water pool but the video doesn't show it. When looking on TA, I seen a picture of a beach located "behind it" so I wonder if you can use it? Also, I seen pictures and mention of a zip line?

I have also considered going to Daniel's sloth sanctuary. But, that doesn't take up much time and it wouldn't be all I would want to do. Also, considering the location of Daniels to Coxenhole, it's more of a drive than if we would be sailing with Carnival and dock at Mahogany Bay so I usually try to end up doing things in the direction we are docked at.

1 hour ago, Guest 2000 said:

Yes, Gumbalimba has a beach and a zip line. 

The reef is some distance from the shore and one would need to be very careful about the water taxi lane.  Does Gumbalima offered a guided snorkle? 

I wonder how much time you get at the beach. Anyone know?

Yea, I wouldn't be doing any snorkeling unless it's right there at the beach.

44 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Wow, big price differences with Carnival.

Maya Key with lunch is $75 & 50 kids.

Tabyana beach is $40 adult and kids.  Maybe NCL provides food?

Turquoise Bay all inclusive is $80 & 75 kids.

Yes, Maya Key & Tabyana include the meal and drinks.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, o-state girl said:

Would this work for you?  I don't know about the snorkeling prospects there, but it looks like there is a sandy beach entry into the water.  https://www.boddentours.com/beachbus.htm

This is at Sol y Mar.

http://www.solymarroatan.com

we have enjoyed it but we were just there to relax. Snorkeling is offered but I believe it involved a boat - not sure how much you would see from the beach. Also a dive school. There were kayaks and some other activities as extras. We did PAYG. There were some daily specials.