Onboard Credit usage before cruise

hensed

Hello all, I'm wondering if it's possible to use my onboard credit before the cruise, to do things like reserve excursions and upgrade internet? I'd like to do it online thru the NCL app. When I add things to my cart, it asks for credit card payment.

Can't use onboard credit until you are on the ship. For excursions you can call and reserve them and they won't charge you until you get on the ship. I think for the internet you'll just have to wait. It's very easy to upgrade the internet once onboard though, that can be done online.

10 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

For excursions you can call and reserve them and they won't charge you until you get on the ship.

Unless my TA was given misinformation, this is somewhat incorrect.  If you have the excursion credit perk you absolutely can call and reserve the excursion in advance but not get charged until on the ship, but if you're not using that perk you have to pay if you call in advance.

I had an excursion reserved, then decided to drop that perk (I picked 2 as I don't drink).  In order to do that they had to cancel the excursion reservation and charge me for the excursion at the time of booking the excursion.

Thanks for the quick replies. I could have sworn that I read somewhere in the cruise ethos that I could charge my items now, and receive a credit for my purchases (up to my onboard credit limit) once onboard. Now I'm struggling to find where the heck I read that! I'm wondering if I made it up in my mind.

Edited by hensed

I found it!!  I knew I wasn't crazy (about seeing this - jury is still out on my general sanity): https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

"For the guests that book their excursions online; they are charged full retail for the excursions and the discount will be applied onboard in the form of a credit to their onboard account. "

But, this is specifically for the shore excursion credit, not for general onboard credit usage.

Edited by hensed

35 minutes ago, hensed said:

I found it!!  I knew I wasn't crazy (about seeing this - jury is still out on my general sanity): https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

"For the guests that book their excursions online; they are charged full retail for the excursions and the discount will be applied onboard in the form of a credit to their onboard account. "

But, this is specifically for the shore excursion credit, not for general onboard credit usage.

I can't see that page (I assume due to location issues), but if it is what I believe it is then it is actually the opposite of what you want. In this case you pay now and the discount is credited to your onboard account. It is adding to your OBC, not using it.

1 hour ago, hensed said:

28 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I can't see that page (I assume due to location issues), but if it is what I believe it is then it is actually the opposite of what you want. In this case you pay now and the discount is credited to your onboard account. It is adding to your OBC, not using it.

OP: Keith Jenner is correct.   Booking and paying for a shore excursion in advance when you have the $50 promo will just add $50 to your on board account after you take that shore excursion.   E.g., if the shorex cost $100, and you book and pay in advance, once you are on board and have taken the excursion, you'll get a $50 OBC.    You'll still have to pay the other $50.   

As others have said above, NCL does NOT allow you to use OBC to pay for items (like shorex, internet packages) that you purchase before the cruise.  Which is why, if you have OBC to use (say from the shareholder benefit) and you want to be able to use it to pay for a shore excursion, the only way to do it, if you have the shorex promo, is to call and reserve (but not pay for) the excursion pre-cruise, or to wait until you board and book it then.    

An example: you have a $100 shareholder OBC, and the $50 shorex promo.   You call and reserve (but not pay for) a shorex that costs $150 total for two people in the cabin.   Once on board, after you've taken the excursion, your account is credited for the $50 shorex perk, and your $100 shareholder OBC pays for the other $100 of the excursion.  That is the only way you can use OBC to pay for the shorex (and anything else) -- you must use it on board.

Yes, other cruise lines, like Celebrity and HAL, allow you to use OBC for purchases made pre-cruise.  I wish NCL would join them, but it hasn't done so yet.

Edited by Turtles06

7 hours ago, Joken35 said:

This is an  issue that NCL needs to look at.On Princess we were able to  prebook  our excursions using  OBC. I know it means On Board Credit , but people are trying to use it for on board expenses.

No they don't need to look at it. You can prebook anything on NCLl with a phone call, and pay after boarding. It is not a big deal and NCL is happy to do it. Just pick up the phone.

I just called tonight, it was very quick and easy, it took less then 5 minutes and they were happy to do it.  I have the shore excursion promo and no payment was needed.  

"All tours are available to pre-request at My NCL, or you can call 866-625-1167 (US & Canada) or 0845-201-8907 (UK)."

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

No they don't need to look at it. You can prebook anything on NCLl with a phone call, and pay after boarding. It is not a big deal and NCL is happy to do it. Just pick up the phone.

That isn’t what others have reported. I’ve seen many reports for example of people

being unable to reserve excursions without payment if they don’t have the promo. I’ve also read reports of people not being able to reserve other things beforehand without paying upfront.

I’m not talking from experience as I’ve never tried, but plenty of people report not been able to reserve things without paying.