WARDROBES????

marco

I remember back in the 60's and 70's on cruises out of NY, folks who lived in close proximity to the port would have an empty wardrobe delivered to their home, they'd fill it with thier clothes and accessories and it would be delivered to the ship.  You wouldn't have to unpack it, and it basically was your "closet" for the cruise.  I remember one women who had the most elaborate gowns every evening, not just formal night(s) .  Some of them were so over the top, they looked more like costumes She loved to dance and most nights there'd be yards and yards of chiffon and taffeta whirling around on the dance floor.  IF she were to take now what she took then, she'd need at least a dozen  pieces of luggage!  Even when sailing out of NY now, I haven't seen any of those delivered to the ship in decades!

• Like 1

I recall reading about long cruise guests doing that, but I never witnessed such.

On my 2002 60+ days on the Volendam's maiden Asia Pacific Cruise, there was an eccentric, elderly woman who had a different change of clothes (and hats) every day of the cruise.  Friends who knew of her from previous sailings said that she always booked two staterooms:  one for herself and one to store her clothes.

• 3 years later...

I have several of those wardrobe trunks, as I was blessed with two unmarried aunts, one of whom was a missionary, and one whose family traveled by train, interstate, to their summer home each year. I used them when I migrated to Australia, and then used them as furniture there. They still grace various rooms of my home.

Last year we sailed with a lovely woman who was aboard for three consecutive months.  She dressed very well.  Her companion mentioned that she had eight pieces of luggage.

• Like 1