Summit CS vs RS. Which would you choose and why?

CruiseLifeIsTheBest

Booked in a CS but watching the price of RS. Got lucky once with a really good resident rate in a RS cabin on S class (the start of our suite addiction and it is true, it is addicting) and the perks are great but room itself is most important to us. Thought I read a post or two indicating CS had some nice features over RS on M class ships. Any insights appreciated!

I haven't been on an S class ship before or had a CS. I can tell you that I stayed in an RS on Infinity last year when I found a great deal and LOVED it! We really enjoyed the whirlpool tub on the balcony - we ended most of our evenings drinking champagne and relaxing in it. We also enjoyed having all of the specialty dining included, we could be indulgent and only feel guilty about the calories. In fact, we enjoyed it so much we recently booked the same cabin for a trip this December when I found another great deal for it.

• Thanks 1

We did CS on sister ship infinity earlier this year and was not impressed, really disliked the balcony which was added , very narrow . Royal has huge balcony and loads of perks with small hot tub on balcony. Also drink package, liquor set up for suite and unlimited dinning in specialty restaurants, we have that booked for March.

We asked to see the RS and CS when we were in the PH and the butler gave us a tour of both at the end of our cruise.

We thought the RS was quite nice but not as nice as the S class one but really didn’t like the CS with the ‘closed in’ feel of the bedroom, the bathroom with shower over bath (very high and hard for anyone who is small or has mobility issues to get in/out of) and the narrow balcony. However, the living room space was nice.

As others have said the perks the RS has over the CS are also significant....

Whilst we generally prefer S class ships the M class PH remains the nicest suite on all ships we have ever enjoyed...Keep your eyes open incase one of those becomes available at final payment. Only snag is once you have experienced that balcony nothing else will match up...

Edited by chemmo

The CS on M-Class ships are very nice layouts and spacious.  One of our favorites.  Yes the balcony is long and more narrow but still quite nice. If you have all 4 suite perks with Premium Bev the only real difference is you get complimentary specialty dining if you want every night in a RS.  Luminae is so good we find this of marginal value compared to the usual high price difference between a CS and an RS.  But if you get an RS at a very good price it is a great option.

• Like 1

We have stayed in RS on both M and S class ships with the accommodations being very different between the classes.  Our most recent sailing was on Summit.  We found the RS to be wonderful.  The balcony is fabulous, loved it so much we have 2 more sailings booked.  We find the suite to be spacious and comfortable.  Bathroom is lovely with a walk in shower and jacuzzi tub as well as double sinks.
Have never stayed in the Celebrity Suite, but from the photos it appears very spacious and those floor to ceiling windows are amazing.  Balcony while narrow, seems adequate.  What I don't like and it's really a deal breaker for us, is the bath/shower combination.  It's horrible for me (as I'm short) with many others unhappy with it as well.  I cannot understand why this wasn't addressed when they did the Revolutionizing of Summit.  

Edited by Zigster

On a M class my choice every time would be a Royal over a Celebrity.  ( this refers to a revolutionized ship like the Summit)The balcony is one of the best in Celebrity.  2 loungers, a small couch, 2 chairs a small tall table. and a decent sized whirlpool tub that is set in a corner out of the way.   There are 2 entrances to the balcony, 1 from the  living room and 1 from the bedroom.    

The bathroom has a  nice walk in shower as well as a very large whirlpool tub.  also double sinks.

The living are is quite large with good seating and a large TV.  there is a good size dining table with generous seating for at least 4.   A small dry bar with mini refrigerator that will be stocked with complimentary beverages of your choice, plus 2 bottles of spirits or wine.  

There are a couple of other royal/penthouse only perks, but those mentioned above make the royal/penthouse my choice over any other suite on a M class

• Like 1

I'm interested in this same question and it seems most people comment on their dislike of the tub/shower or closed in bedroom in the CS. For us those are not drawbacks as we've had the same tub in Sky Suite without any problems and we like dark sleeping opportunities. I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts about comparing the living room areas. It almost looks like the CS living area is more open than the RS and the large "wall of windows" is a huge draw for me. Thoughts or comments? 

37 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I'm interested in this same question and it seems most people comment on their dislike of the tub/shower or closed in bedroom in the CS. For us those are not drawbacks as we've had the same tub in Sky Suite without any problems and we like dark sleeping opportunities. I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts about comparing the living room areas. It almost looks like the CS living area is more open than the RS and the large "wall of windows" is a huge draw for me. Thoughts or comments? 

Please note I haven’t stayed in either only visited.

To me the drawback of the CS over the RS is the tub and enclosed bedroom. If you are happy with those then I agree that the CS lounge is a good size and big window areas are always nice. Another advantage of the CS is that it is central and better positioned for rough weather. PH and RS are all at the stern. For a colder weather cruise the smaller balcony may not be an issue and the big windows and central position could really be an asset.

In terms of additional perks with such a limited choice of speciality dining options on M class free dining is of less value...If you have a premium drinks package as a perk and possibly some Elite laundry them the RS has less pull....

It does worry me that the height of step over into the tub in this suite isn’t clearly indicated as it is high. On one of our Millie cruises an elderly couple had booked the CS to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The elderly lady had found the tub just too dangerous to get in/out of. The Michael’s host managed to give them keys for an unoccupied inside room to use for showering. Hardly ideal but better than nothing but I think it did take the shine off their experience....Are the tubs in Sky Suites really as hard to get in/out of? I thought it was just a peculiarity of the CS?

Edited by chemmo

chemo - We have only stayed in a Sky Suite on Solstice.  I found that the issue with the tub/shower is that the floor of the tub is higher than the floor of the bathroom.  So where you think your foot is going to land when you step out, is not the case which in turn threw off my balance.  In addition, there was nothing to hold on to which would have helped.

Not certain, but I would think that it's the same on M class.

It is a very well known issue in the M-Class CS  that for some people that the height of the bathtub and the narrow space between bathtub and toilet creates an access issue if you are mobility impaired or not agile enough.   Celebrity had every chance to fix this on Summit and Millennium in the Revolution modifications but did not address it.  Mind boggling! 

The negative of the RS on Solstice Class is the small balcony with table and chairs and only one proper lounger.   The outdoor bathtub takes up a lot of room.  With an indoor jacuzzi very few use that ugly tub.   The last one we had it really looked old and not especially clean.   Believe it is the old type that circulates water so there is always some old water in its pipes.   The new one just use air to avoid the problem.   The CS on Solstice does not have a dining room, only a living area with a large square cocktail table.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

...Are the tubs in Sky Suites really as hard to get in/out of? I thought it was just a peculiarity of the CS?

We have not been in a CS (have one booked on Summit) but have been in a few Sky Suites and that tub was higher than normal which we could see causing an issue.  I think TeeRick said it correctly from what I've read before, the heights are the same in both suites, but the layout of the CS causes more issues due to lack of room to hold onto something or stabilize one's self when getting in and out.

Thanks for the reply, it's always temping to upgrade, but since we've never done a CS or RS it was good to have someone confirm the positives that drew us to the CS.... besides we booked at a low rate and now to move it's about $3,800 for 7 nights!  That's a lot of specialty dining and in suite cocktails.  Even throwing in the monogramed bathrobes don't make it seem like a good idea, but then again, sometime we buy on emotions....

Edited by garyl62

45 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

On the S class ships, because you have another 1/2 bathroom so worth it!  However on the M class ships, the CS is IMO a much better deal- so you pay for unlimited specialty dining , we used the tub on the deck once-  More then enough room to enjoy your balcony.  

Liquor is not alway a perk for CS , but it is for Royal, also mini bar

18 hours ago, garyl62 said:

........ I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts about comparing the living room areas. It almost looks like the CS living area is more open than the RS and the large "wall of windows" is a huge draw for me. Thoughts or comments? 

Yes, the living room area of the CS on the M-class ships is much nicer with that large sweeping wall of windows, especially on hot or cold weather cruises because you can spend  your time seated inside in temperature controlled comfort while enjoying those wonderful expansive, unobstructed views.

The RS just has ordinary sliding glass doors, so when sitting inside looking out,  our view from the RS was no better than what we would have in an ordinary balcony cabin.

Also, the RS balcony has deeper dividers that block off the views to both sides.

For cruises like the Panama Canal, we much preferred the CS because it was too hot and humid to sit out on the balcony.

Of course, the RS has the other advantages previously mentioned, and there would be the price difference to consider as well.

We really don't want their monogrammed bathrobes and have no room for them in our luggage (but you are paying for them regardless).

Edited by varoo

On 11/16/2019 at 4:55 AM, garyl62 said:

I think you've hit on my main point- the living area feels much nicer in the CS.  I was one who thought I'd never like an inside cabin feel of the CS bedroom, but it turns out we really liked the dark for a restful sleep. 

Not the type to use the verandah hot tub, so that perk is out, and, in fact, we don't often use the verandah for anything but standing and viewing, so width wasn't an issue.

The position for movement is better in the CS- more midship, and if the ship is rolling, less movement in the bedroom of the CS than the RS.

The one thing I will give to the RS is the convenience of the walk-in shower.  Like you, the high step in for CS or even SS isn't an issue,  being tall, but I also can stand up straight and hit my head on the ceiling.  Not a deal breaker, but I noticed it.

In all, it's an academic point, as we mostly travel in verandahs, but living the Suite life is pretty nice- Michael's Club and Luninae were great perks.

Andrew

22 hours ago, George C said:

Liquor is not alway a perk for CS , but it is for Royal, also mini bar

Yes agree that a RS and PH have liquor and mini-bar in-cabin.  But most everybody sailing Celebrity in any type of suite typically has a premium beverage package in most cases and free beverages in Michael's Club/Suite Lounge.

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes agree that a RS and PH have liquor and mini-bar in-cabin.  But most everybody sailing Celebrity in any type of suite typically has a premium beverage package in most cases and free beverages in Michael's Club/Suite Lounge.

Agree we did not have premium package earlier this year but Micheals made it almost unnecessary, but easier to host some people with the mini bar and liquor setup also nice to have a drink on the very large balcony.