World's Leading Cruise Lines AMEX offer is back

rocklinmom

On 11/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, Cruise Raider said:

It usually happens within a few days, for me, at least.  I've used these offers a number of times ... I am sure others will have different experiences so I am just telling you not to worry until a week goes by.  

Received the credit today.  😊

• Like 2

UPDATE: My American Express account has been charged $500 for the On Board Credit that I purchased (for a cruise I purchased Oct 23, 2019) as well as the $100 credit with a net charge of $400. Thanks again for posting the back door 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Since my DH and I have cards with different numbers, it appears that we both got the credit by each placing $500 down on each card.  Of note, it may not have mattered, but we put down money on two separate sailings.  

Were the cruises on the same line? If say there were charges on each card to Princess, there is no way that American Express could know if they were for the same or different cruises. If OTOH, one was for Princess and the other was lets say Holland America, they would know that the two of you were paying for separate cruises.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Were the cruises on the same line? If say there were charges on each card to Princess, there is no way that American Express could know if they were for the same or different cruises. If OTOH, one was for Princess and the other was lets say Holland America, they would know that the two of you were paying for separate cruises.

They were both with Princess....just different sailings.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I never thought or indicated they did know ... 

I did not mean to imply that you thought they knew. I was just wondering if both charges were to the same cruise line meaning that they would not be able to know if it was for the same cruise or two different ones.

• Like 1

Can you use OBC to pay for gratuities?  Our 2020 Alaska cruise was booked under sip & sail, we booked it through a travel agency, and none of our excursions are through Princess, so what could I use the $500 for?  I didn't know if I could make payment on the cruise fare directly to Princess if we booked it through a travel agent....  We also have a 2021 British Isles cruise booked... if I had to, I could get OBC for that one and use it for the beverage package or something else.... I just didn't want to spend the money now for something that far off... but saving $100 is too tempting not to do it... 

6 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Can you use OBC to pay for gratuities?  Our 2020 Alaska cruise was booked under sip & sail, we booked it through a travel agency, and none of our excursions are through Princess, so what could I use the $500 for?  I didn't know if I could make payment on the cruise fare directly to Princess if we booked it through a travel agent....  We also have a 2021 British Isles cruise booked... if I had to, I could get OBC for that one and use it for the beverage package or something else.... I just didn't want to spend the money now for something that far off... but saving $100 is too tempting not to do it... 

Yes, OBC can be used for gratuities.

Check with your TA how the payment is made. It should be made directly to Princess, not to the TA and then to Princess.

I'm new to this AMEX deal, but I want to understand it better. I have a final cruise payment on a February Panama Canal cruise due on 12/1. If I use my AMEX to pay for $500 of the balance I will get a $100 AMEX statement credit? Thanks.

1 hour ago, TomOG said:

I'm new to this AMEX deal, but I want to understand it better. I have a final cruise payment on a February Panama Canal cruise due on 12/1. If I use my AMEX to pay for $500 of the balance I will get a $100 AMEX statement credit? Thanks.

If the offer is available on your card and you click on add it to your offers...

7 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, OBC can be used for gratuities.

Check with your TA how the payment is made. It should be made directly to Princess, not to the TA and then to Princess.

When you buy OBC you do it directly through the website.

You click on what you want to buy and then they ask for a charge card.

The TA isn't involved.

(I just did it so I'm positive)

1 hour ago, TomOG said:

Make SURE you load the offer onto your card BEFORE you make the charge.

The offers are all on the HOME page of your card.

(And then make sure your TA charges the cruiseline directly. Some TAs (not particularly reputable ones) make the charge to themselves and then they pay the cruiseline.)

3 hours ago, TomOG said:

Yes add it to your Amex card first. Then you can go into your Cruise Personalizer and make a payment with it. Right after making the $500 (minimum) charge, you should get an email from Amex saying that you just used the offer. Then the $100 statement credit should post about two days later. 

3 hours ago, chamima said:

When you buy OBC you do it directly through the website.

You click on what you want to buy and then they ask for a charge card.

The TA isn't involved.

(I just did it so I'm positive)

I'm sure you can, but you can also use your TA to buy it. I have done that in the past.

8 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes add it to your Amex card first. Then you can go into your Cruise Personalizer and make a payment with it. Right after making the $500 (minimum) charge, you should get an email from Amex saying that you just used the offer. Then the $100 statement credit should post about two days later. 

Only if the booking is with Princess. If with a TA, you must make the payment with the TA.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Only if the booking is with Princess. If with a TA, you must make the payment with the TA.

If it's a payment towards the cruise itself you do it with the TA but if you're buying OBC or internet ,etc. you can do that through the personalizer.

(I've just done it so can verify)

But I reiterate - make SURE you've added the offer to your Amex card BEFORE you make any charges!

• Like 1

Thanks to OP and Bollycats! I paid $500 at Expedia on my Princess cruise 11/22, and got the $100 amex credit 11/24!

More details in case helps others. Offer didn't appear in my amex account as an offer. I have Delta gold Skymiles Amex. So I went to the backdoor link. Said nothing useful, but I logged in. Then opened new window and went to backdoor link. Quickly clicked on the offer when I saw it, then went to the other tab (to where I was logged into Amex), and it appeared in my offers. Went to Expedia, made $500 payment (which I've noticed before shows up on my Amex account as being directly from Princess), and got an email shortly thereafter from Amex saying I had redeemed the cruise offer for $100.

• Like 1

Also Amex announced today $0 "Plan It" fees, for all plans created now through 1/24/2020 (iirc). So you can pay off the entire cruise today, and then pay monthly installments (to Amex) with no interest or fees. I never carry a credit card balance, but I plan to use this.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else have the 10,000 Points offer and not have the points post yet? Been over 10 Days. Got the email and shows redeemed on the app. The $100 cash offer I had on my other card posted two days after the charge but the points still haven't posted to my membership account yet.

8 hours ago, missymerv said:

Does anyone know how to separate 2 cards on one account? I log into my Amex account and have 2 cards available.  I get the offer on 1 card but not the other.  Is it the card that triggers the offer or the login? Thank you 

Are these two different AMEX cards (Example: Platinum and Gold) or two cards on the same type card (Example: Platinum) in different names (such as one person and a spouse) with different card numbers?

If these are two different types of AMEX cards, AMEX has added logic to their software that sees you have it added to one card, so will no longer show the offer on another type card for the same person.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I have a question for everyone ....

I've used these offers so many times in the past that I am surprised I don't know the answer to this yet.  Anyhow, here goes ...

My DH and I are under the same Amex account, our bill is paid as one but we have different credit card numbers.  Can I use this offer under both cards and get two statement credits ... eg:  put $500 down on one card and another $500 down on the other card.  Their verbiage on restrictions is below:  

Enrollment limited. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.

How might you all interpret this?  I've added the offer to each card individually ... and don't want to be greedy but also don't want to spend another $500 at this time if it isn't going to lead to any savings (you know, with the holidays being upon us).  Thoughts?  

What you're describing is a credit card with an authorized user. Amex does authorized user cards a little differently from other issuers and the authorized user card has a different number and separate login. In this situation you are able to add and use Amex offers on both the main card and the authorized users card without issue. What Amex does limit, as noted above, is the adding of an offer to multiple different cards under the same login. Once you add an offer to one card under your login it will disappear from the other cards under your login. So if you are an authorized user on your DH's card and you also have your own Amex card and the same offer shows up on both cards you will only be able to add it to one card or the other. I believe that the MR offer (get 10,000 MR points back for $500 spend) and the cash back offer ($100 back for $500 spend) are considered separate offers so if you are lucky enough to get both offers on the same login you would be able to add and use both of those offers.

5 hours ago, ravensbad said:

What you're describing is a credit card with an authorized user. Amex does authorized user cards a little differently from other issuers and the authorized user card has a different number and separate login. In this situation you are able to add and use Amex offers on both the main card and the authorized users card without issue. What Amex does limit, as noted above, is the adding of an offer to multiple different cards under the same login. Once you add an offer to one card under your login it will disappear from the other cards under your login. So if you are an authorized user on your DH's card and you also have your own Amex card and the same offer shows up on both cards you will only be able to add it to one card or the other. I believe that the MR offer (get 10,000 MR points back for $500 spend) and the cash back offer ($100 back for $500 spend) are considered separate offers so if you are lucky enough to get both offers on the same login you would be able to add and use both of those offers.

We have different log ins and the offer was under both cards so I applied it to both and then spent $500 under each card ... both credits were also applied.  

We have 2 different card numbers (and 2 different logins) for our Delta Platinum Amex.  I used the backdoor link and added the offer to both cards using the 2 different logins.  The TA had Princess charge $500 to each card.  We immediately got an email saying my husband's card had used the offer.. and the $100 credit has been posted to the account.  But we never got the email that I had used the offer on my card.. and the credit is still not showing as posted to the account for my card.  I KNOW the offer was on there before the charge was made, and when we didn't get the 2nd email saying I had used my offer, I double-checked it and it was still showing up in my "offers added to the card"... But today, when I was checking to see if the credit had posted, I looked again and it is not showing up in the offers on my card... Any suggestions on what to do?  The Amex website says if the credits aren't posted after 90 days, you should contact them... Should I contact them now?  Or did they figure out it was the same account, just 2 different cards, and we aren't eligible for the offer?