tipping

jofred

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you cannot tell the difference between receiving something from a cruise line for which you have openly paid one way or the other, and inducing an employee of that line to discriminate between paying customers of that line by depriving some and favoring others —- you should, perhaps, avoid getting involved in serious conversations.

Or would you equate paying higher fare for a business class seat on a plane with slipping a flight attendant a couple of hundred $ to move you from coach to business class when no one was looking.?

Oh, I can tell the difference.  It all depends upon who is receiving the perk.  I suspect many 4*/5* Mariners would all be in favor of priority service from bartenders while decrying those who tip extra to get that kind of service.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

I remember a corporate ethics thing.  They said if you can't decide if ethically you should do or not do something, ask yourself if you'd be comfortable explaining it to the chairman of the board.  So if you're going to bribe someone on a ship, i.e., bartender, are you cool with asking the captain how she feels about it?

This is only an 'ethics' thing to those who believe there is an ulterior motive in tipping extra for great service.

As far as I can see, if you get good service, you give a tip. If you hope to get good service, you give a bribe. 

All these disingenuous arguments about signing on to a company, etc are irrelevant. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

So why not use the advantage of more money to also get an advantage? 

If a bar tender finds somone attractive you can't go up to that bar tender and say I'm more attractive serve me first. But if somone gives 20 and another wanting to be at the top of the line gives 30 and then somone wants to overtake them and slips a 50. You make this normal culture then if you don't slip a little extra you won't make it to the line at all. You already pay for the drink, you pay for included gratuity and now there is your place in line fee and all because people have no patience to get their drinks😒.

The sooner we have robot bar tenders the better. They will be able to make multiple drinks at the same time and no one will have to wait 😜

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As far as I can see, if you get good service, you give a tip. If you hope to get good service, you give a bribe. 

All these disingenuous arguments about signing on to a company, etc are irrelevant. 

Good capsulization — no one here has authority to condemn the conduct of others    -   but there is little point in trying to have a conversation if words only meaning that varies to support the point of one person or another.

An unofficial payment to an employee of a cruise  line to receive preferential treatment is a bribe.  If you do not like to acknowledge giving bribes - do not give them. If you like the benefits you receive from bribery, that is your approach — but don’t kid yourself.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The sooner we have robot bar tenders the better. They will be able to make multiple drinks at the same time and no one will have to wait 😜

Don't kid yourself, the nerds will be getting the first drinks from those robots. 😉

It's a droid dog eat droid dog world out there. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is only an 'ethics' thing to those who believe there is an ulterior motive in tipping extra for great service.

No - I do not believe anyone has suggested there is any ulterior motive involved — the motive  for giving a bribe is pretty damn clear:  it is to buy preferential treatment from an employee of the line — which can only come at the expense of someone else. 

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:
3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

And how would one know in advance if they're going to get great service?  By bribing, of course.   I wonder if people bribe and then get the same good service as everyone?  🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

And how would one know in advance if they're going to get great service?  By bribing, of course.   I wonder if people bribe and then get the same good service as everyone?  🙂

Good point - an employee who undercuts his employer by accepting a bribe  might also be willing to accept enough bribes to effectively dilute whatever  preferential treatment each bribe is sufficient to purchase.  

Then, the honest employee who does not want to cheat those who bribe him should probably post a bribe price list - “premium” (for guaranteed superior service),  “first class” (for immediate attention if no “premium” bribers are still waiting to be served, finally “special” (to be taken care of after the “premium” and “first class” categories, but before everyone else). 

Such a three tier system should help the bribers get value for their money (while, incidentally, enriching the bar-tender - or whoever). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

You have it backwards. Robots in Bionic Bar on Royal make one drink at a time. Humans in other bars do multiple pours.

25 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

You have it backwards. Robots in Bionic Bar on Royal make one drink at a time. Humans in other bars do multiple pours.

I didn't realise someone was already using bartender robots😀. The one I was thinking of was like a coffee maker/veding machine that could mix five drinks at the same time. I'm pretty sure it was just a prototype but if you had those all over the ship no one would need to wait for a drink again😋.

The OP has seen the opinions and stated what they are going to continue to do waaay back in post #31. So now this seesawing back and forth hot topic thread is closed.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo