First timers on Fantasy - questions/help

mjonis

First time Disney cruisers (family trip) on Fantasy upcoming Jan 23, 2021.

I've been on other cruises (hopefully they show up in my signature).

I'm fairly certain I've searched before posting, but sometimes my keyword skills aren't the best, plus some of stickies seemed a bit outdated/old (2014/2015), so wasn't sure if they still applied.

OK here goes:

1)  If I read correctly there's no drink packages available, it's basically Pay as you go?  Which is fine, I don't think we've ever ordered a package before.  I did find some online menu/drink prices, so they're within reason.  I see that there's 2 for 1 happy hour for that Cove area.

2) For those that drink beer, there's a refillable beer mug (you can exchange for a token? and carry that around instead)?

3)  WiFi is included/free for 50mb/day?  (Wasn't sure on this one).  Are there additional packages/faster speeds you can buy?  (Ironically the Wifi on our least fav. cruise--MSC --was very good and we  had the "highest" package).  Carnival's WiFi (highest package) was very good as well (WiFi calling on T-Mobile worked fine on both lines).  However, not sure if disney blocks T-Mobile Wifi stuff (ie, on planes, depending on their provider, the wifi texting may be blocked so you have to rely on iMessage for iPhone to iPhone or What'sApp).

4)  all rooms have 2 Wave phones for texting/calling each other? if you don't want to use your cell phone?

5)  There's 2 adults-only pool areas on Fantasy?  How crowded do these get (ie, do I need to get up at 6:00 and be a CHOG?)  Biggest issue we had on all cruises except our last Carnival one (we paid extra for the Havana area and now we're spoiled) was pool/hot tub/chair availability.

6)  Castaway Cay - sounds like we can reserve/purchase/rent Cabanas if we want them?  Is there a window upon which this booking can take place?  (ie X days before sailing, etc.)?

7)  Last (for now), this always causes a big poop-storm, but I like to stir up things (LOL):  There's HDMI connections/ports on the in-room TV's?  (I think I only found old confirmation from like 2016 on the disboards, so wasn't sure if it still applied).  If one is adventurous to try to watch some previously downloaded content/shows (some of us are old--haha) and go to "bed" and like to watch a show or two before falling to sleep.  I know, I know, the "why are you watching TV on a cruise, blah blah".  haha.

Thanks in advance!!!

59 minutes ago, mjonis said:

First time Disney cruisers (family trip) on Fantasy upcoming Jan 23, 2021.

I've been on other cruises (hopefully they show up in my signature).

I'm fairly certain I've searched before posting, but sometimes my keyword skills aren't the best, plus some of stickies seemed a bit outdated/old (2014/2015), so wasn't sure if they still applied.

OK here goes:

1)  If I read correctly there's no drink packages available, it's basically Pay as you go?  Which is fine, I don't think we've ever ordered a package before.  I did find some online menu/drink prices, so they're within reason.  I see that there's 2 for 1 happy hour for that Cove area.

Yes, unlike other cruise lines, there are no drink packages, except for the wine or beer packages.

2) For those that drink beer, there's a refillable beer mug (you can exchange for a token? and carry that around instead)?

Yes.

3)  WiFi is included/free for 50mb/day?  (Wasn't sure on this one).  If you sign up on embarkation day, you can get 50mb free (one time).  Are there additional packages/faster speeds you can buy?  (Ironically the Wifi on our least fav. cruise--MSC --was very good and we  had the "highest" package).  Carnival's WiFi (highest package) was very good as well (WiFi calling on T-Mobile worked fine on both lines).  However, not sure if disney blocks T-Mobile Wifi stuff (ie, on planes, depending on their provider, the wifi texting may be blocked so you have to rely on iMessage for iPhone to iPhone or What'sApp). 

There are other packages available:

Pay As You Go 25¢ per MB
Small Package 100 MB $19 19¢ per MB
Medium Package 300 MB $39 13¢ per MB
Large Package 1000 MB $89 9¢ per MB

4)  all rooms have 2 Wave phones for texting/calling each other? if you don't want to use your cell phone?

Yes.  Be aware that the phones do not ring/buzz when texting.  They only vibrate, and the lag time from sender to receiver can be longer than "normal"

5)  There's 2 adults-only pool areas on Fantasy?  How crowded do these get (ie, do I need to get up at 6:00 and be a CHOG?)  Biggest issue we had on all cruises except our last Carnival one (we paid extra for the Havana area and now we're spoiled) was pool/hot tub/chair availability.

Just like other cruise lines there can be lounge chair hogs, but we've not had any real issues with finding a chair.  Just be flexible about how close you want to be to the pool/whirlpool.

6)  Castaway Cay - sounds like we can reserve/purchase/rent Cabanas if we want them?  Is there a window upon which this booking can take place?  (ie X days before sailing, etc.)?

As first time DCL cruisers your activity booking window opens 75 days out from the cruise.  Be aware there are an extremely small number of cabanas, and often are snapped up by the higher loyalty guests onboard.

7)  Last (for now), this always causes a big poop-storm, but I like to stir up things (LOL):  There's HDMI connections/ports on the in-room TV's?  (I think I only found old confirmation from like 2016 on the disboards, so wasn't sure if it still applied).  If one is adventurous to try to watch some previously downloaded content/shows (some of us are old--haha) and go to "bed" and like to watch a show or two before falling to sleep.  I know, I know, the "why are you watching TV on a cruise, blah blah".  haha.

In the past DCL has asked that you not connect personal devices to the TVs. I'm not sure if that's still the requirement or not.  I'll also point out that DCL does have in-demand channels with lots of choices.

Thanks in advance!!!

My answers in red.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info/confirmations.

In the event we can't score a Cabana, I think I read that there's some umbrellas or something you can use by a diff. area.  I plan on trying some of the snorkeling, so I'll have to look up where that's actually located.  Plus of course, lounging in the sun and having adult beverages.

LOL!

Off to research Castay Cay some more.

4 minutes ago, mjonis said:

Thank you for the info/confirmations.

In the event we can't score a Cabana, I think I read that there's some umbrellas or something you can use by a diff. area.  I plan on trying some of the snorkeling, so I'll have to look up where that's actually located.  Plus of course, lounging in the sun and having adult beverages.

LOL!

Off to research Castay Cay some more.

There's tons of umbrellas on the family beach, as well as many on Serenity Bay beach.  Family beach:

153340391_familybeach2014umbrellas16056P10206621500.thumb.jpg.f4cf5ba4c281aea6c4d3e9a53378ca27.jpg

Serenity Bay

1881103601_umbrellasloungers20140351aP1040236Stitch1500.thumb.jpg.cf95d8ae275abece9dc807358c083e47.jpg

• Like 1

Again, many thanks!!!!

I'm sure as long as the weather is nice, (not that Disney or anyone else can control that), and nobody gets sick, we'll have a great time.  Typically we're freezing our butts off in NY that time of year, so sun and beaches/snorkeling and adult beverages and I'm happy. 

🙂

Shmoo, as usual was thorough in her response, but I just wanted to add to items for clarification. (Shmoo, correct me if I'm wrong on the first point.) There are not two adult pools, but a pool on deck 11 forward and above it, on deck twelve, an area called Satellite Falls, which I wouldn't really cal a pool in the way that you can swim in it. We were on the Fantasy last month, on a cruise that had a larger proportion of adults to children and had no problems on sea days getting lounges in the Cove Pool area. Plus there are a few clam shells and chairs and tables scattered around the area. 

As far as Cabanas on Serenity Bay goes, there are only four on Serenity Bay, so they are in huge demand. The one way to get around the first-time cruiser issue is if you happen to be sailing in concierge. Concierge guests get to put in their requests first, and tend to scarf up all the cabanas on a busy cruise before even platinum cruisers get a chance. And if there are none available at your booking window, you can always go  tio guest services when you first board and get put on a waiting list. Sometimes miracles do happen.

1 hour ago, gometros said:

There are not two adult pools, but a pool on deck 11 forward and above it, on deck twelve, an area called Satellite Falls, which I wouldn't really cal a pool in the way that you can swim in it.

Correct.  The pool is on deck 11.  But it's not really much of one you can swim in, especially on sea days

1206000633_quietcovefantasy2014empty20048P10301901500.thumb.jpg.a992060caed1740467fe201174dbfce9.jpg

1642012643_quietcovedream20141714P10208211500.thumb.jpg.0c967b8500ab379de24683703c8900f9.jpg

Satellite Falls, more of a soaking pool

1653660243_satellitefallsfantasy201421052aP1030356Stitch1500.thumb.jpg.8dc1a3f91bf36fa5dda8c152ab1a97e9.jpg

So if I'm reading correctly, there's like two sets of Cabanas on Castaway Cay?

Serenity Bay for adults only (and I think someone said there's only 4 of them)

and

Castaway Cay/Family Beach which has 20 Cabanas?

I found this site useful.

https://dclprepschool.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-castaway-cay-cabanas/

Not getting our hopes up, but there's far worse things if we don't get one, LOL!  It sounds like your stuff is safe on the beach if you decide to leave it by your chair to go into the water, but you never know.

2 hours ago, mjonis said:

So if I'm reading correctly, there's like two sets of Cabanas on Castaway Cay?

Serenity Bay for adults only (and I think someone said there's only 4 of them)

and

Castaway Cay/Family Beach which has 20 Cabanas?

I found this site useful.

https://dclprepschool.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-castaway-cay-cabanas/

Not getting our hopes up, but there's far worse things if we don't get one, LOL!  It sounds like your stuff is safe on the beach if you decide to leave it by your chair to go into the water, but you never know.

Family beach cabanas

image.thumb.png.0be3f3e484b029251cfe204719bc5f54.png

Serenity Bay cabanas

179866831_serenitybaycabanas20140358P10402461500.thumb.jpg.08f4dd742f78b64c22d03fc5296522c3.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

• 3 weeks later...

You're never getting a cabana unless you're platinum concierge, so don't worry about it. On the bright side, we've never had a problem finding someplace with shade to sit.

To be specific about the beer mug thing, it lets you get a 20oz for the price of a 15oz. At the end, you can take it home as a souvenir. And thus far, nobody's had a problem bringing it back and getting the deals if they did another cruise. There's a drink of the day, which is cold and fruity and $6.50. There's a bunch of woo about getting more if you buy a souvenir cup, but Disney has never said this was the case and you'd think they would. The drinks are mixed on demand, so my guess is if any particular glass is larger or smaller, you get more or less fruit juice and the same amount of alcohol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, numtini said:

You're never getting a cabana unless you're platinum concierge, so don't worry about it. On the bright side, we've never had a problem finding someplace with shade to sit.

That's not entirely the case. We're platinum (there is no levels in concierge. If your're concierge, it doesn't matter whether you're a first-timer or sailed 50 times) and we've been ale to procure a cabana every cruise except our most recent this past October. And Shade was at a premium, at least on Serenity Bay, due to the beach erosion from Dorian. By the time we hit Serenity Bay at around 10am, every umbrella was taken.

Numtini, not to hijack your post, but have you brought your mug back on subsequent cruises?  I assumed that when the bartender runs your KTTW card to pay for the beer, he or she would get a notice that you hadn't bought the mug on that cruise.  I'd love to try bringing one back though.

On 12/8/2019 at 7:18 PM, numtini said:

To be specific about the beer mug thing, it lets you get a 20oz for the price of a 15oz. At the end, you can take it home as a souvenir. And thus far, nobody's had a problem bringing it back and getting the deals if they did another cruise. There's a drink of the day, which is cold and fruity and $6.50. There's a bunch of woo about getting more if you buy a souvenir cup, but Disney has never said this was the case and you'd think they would. The drinks are mixed on demand, so my guess is if any particular glass is larger or smaller, you get more or less fruit juice and the same amount of alcohol. 

Thank you very much!  We'll hold a small chance that we get a cabana, but otherwise, will scope out a spot for the umbrellas.  I'm sure it will be fine.

Do they have people that come around (even at the umbrellas) to offer/sell you drinks?

I'd forgotten about the Drink of the Day, thanks for that!

I've never been solicited for a drink on Castaway. I know there are people going around, but they're not nearly as common as on the ship or perhaps they just have more ground to cover. It's a pretty short way to the bar shack though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify the wifi further - you do not need to purchase a package to use the Navigator app, the wifi for the app is free. Load it onto your phone at home in advance.  You can now book excursions and dinners on the app and it has a cool countdown clock.  You need to purchase (and sign up for your free 50mb) to check emails, facebook etc.   Personally I bring an older laptop that I can shut down all updates and only check email.  I can usually get by with the 50 free.  Once you exhaust the free 50 you will need to choose a package and pay for it (it gets charged to your room).

The beer mugs are great and yes we have seen people bring them back on board.  When you are on the pool deck you get plastic mugs, and glass at the other bars.  The addition of the token system a few years ago was great and saves you from having to carry the mug all over the place.

We have been on the Fantasy 8 times, 6 in the last 3.5 years and I have never seen a 2 for 1 at the Cove.  I have heard rumors of a happy hour special on Castaway Cay but again have never experienced it for myself.

I will also warn you that Schmoo's picture of Serenity bay may not be accurate for what you'll see.  Since the hurricane the beach has suffered erosion.  I am sorry I forgot to take a photo of it when we were there a few weeks ago but they lost a lot of sand.  We were there as the tide was coming in and I had to walk in the water because the beach was completely taken up by chairs.  If you don't mind walking down the beach there was more room further out.  Everyone seemed to want to crowd closer to the entrance which made it seem crowded.   If you are there during low tied it may be better.

The TVs have on demand movies that are included for no additional charge.  They are of course Disney movies but they have Cartoons, Pixar, Live action which includes a few Marvel movies and more adult movies - it is not all kid stuff. 

in April we cruised with friends and tried to keep in touch with the wave phones.  We gave up after 2 days and just made prearranged  times/locations to meet. 

Last thing I want to mention is you can bring your own beer and wine on board.  One 6 pack of beer per person or 2 750ml bottles of wine per person.  And this is at every port, not just embarkation day.  There is no fee or charge.  The only charge will be if you bring the wine to dinner they charge a corkage fee of $25 (and I believe if you take it to a bar to open it)  So if you bring wine, put a cork screw in your checked luggage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

You can get a cork screw from your room host. 

I normally don't drink wine so that's good to know.  My friend packed her own.

DH and I drink beer.  Last cruise we started the cruise with 2-6packs. When we got off we had almost 2 cases (western Caribbean) because we hit Mega for unique European beers and in Grand Cayman we always hit CayBrew and we usually bring a case back on the ship with us.  And no security does not stop us.

We also found out in St. Thomas  this past cruise that you can bring filled Growlers back onto the ship with you which was great because the brewery in the port ran out of cans.