Rotterdam - Next Drydock, last drydock

Mary229

I am trying to make a hasty decision about a summer cruise with my very particular sister.  When last and when next is the Rotterdam to be refurbished.  Any comments on the far aft cabins of the 2nd floor.  Thank you for your input

there is a very nice thread at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2707814-november-2019-update-hal-dry-docks-charters-groups/?tab=comments#comment-58709548

updated reqularly by @VMax1700 which lists information about dry docks and charters.

It shows that Rotterdam is not currently scheduled for a dry dock and the last one was completed on 03 Nov 17.

The most current thread can be found by searching this forum for "dry dock charter"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am trying to make a hasty decision about a summer cruise with my very particular sister.  When last and when next is the Rotterdam to be refurbished.  Any comments on the far aft cabins of the 2nd floor.  Thank you for your input

I was on the Rotterdam in May. Everything looked fine. My cabin was on the lower promenade.

The only engineering issue was the door (nearest to my cabin) to the promenade was 'loose. Wind blew through it constantly. The corridor was chilly.

• Like 1

I was on the Rotterdam in 2017 just prior to dry dock and was quite disappointed in the ship’s condition.  We went ahead and booked the Viking Saga for next summer. It is on courtesy hold while I make a final decision on which cabin I really want.  Thanks for your input 

Sailed on Rotterdam in September/October, she was in great shape, she will be in drydock December 8th 2020 until December 20th (gap in the schedule and as stated before on a similar thread). I believe next to the regular maintenance, they will replace the Mix Bar by the music walk.

• Like 1

We booked one of the far aft cabins deck 2 on a long voyage. As we travelled extensively over the years on the rotterdam, the location was familiar and I looked at it during a previous voyage. The reason for booking that cabin was the easy acces to the almost private deck aft. The cabin itself is like every ocean view, with an obstructive view, which is the outside staircase to deck 3. There is one major disadvantage. Being so low and aft, the engine noise is noticable especially when going fast. Also be prepared to wake up when the ship is manoevring to dock in the morning.

In the end we got upgraded to a verandah deck 6 which was marvelous.

3 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

We booked one of the far aft cabins deck 2 on a long voyage. As we travelled extensively over the years on the rotterdam, the location was familiar and I looked at it during a previous voyage. The reason for booking that cabin was the easy acces to the almost private deck aft. The cabin itself is like every ocean view, with an obstructive view, which is the outside staircase to deck 3. There is one major disadvantage. Being so low and aft, the engine noise is noticable especially when going fast. Also be prepared to wake up when the ship is manoevring to dock in the morning.

In the end we got upgraded to a verandah deck 6 which was marvelous.

Thank you for your input.  I don't know what it is but I never like being lower than promenade.   I booked on the Navigation Deck.  I have sailed on the Navigation deck before but not in the far aft.  I wonder if they are configured differently than the regular verandah cabins.  

Edited by Mary229

25 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you for your input.  I don't know what it is but I never like being lower than promenade.   I booked on the Navigation Deck.  I have sailed on the Navigation deck before but not in the far aft.  I wonder if they are configured differently than the regular verandah cabins.  

We had the aft corner verandah on deck 6 three times, ideal. The verandah's on deck 7 are the same, but some people complain about noise as the aft pool area is directly above.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jakkojakko said:

We had the aft corner verandah on deck 6 three times, ideal. The verandah's on deck 7 are the same, but some people complain about noise as the aft pool area is directly above.

That is very helpful.  It is a spring Northern Europe cruise so I don't think pool noise is an issue.  Thank you

According to Bobpatj on the "Exc/On location port lecturer elimination" thread, 2020 dry dock changes are not waiting for 2020......changes to the Rotterdam are happening NOW on board as they do the TA to FLL!!!

"We are on the Rotterdam now, sailing back to FLL.  Glenn-Michael is our Cruise Director/EXC Director.  The day before we were to arrive in Naples, Italy, he gave us the temperature for Naples, FL.  As we sailed the Transatlantic portion of our cruise, they installed the new Dueling Piano area where the Piano Bar was, which now puts Jamm and other Piano Bar folks out of a job.  Lincoln Center was installed earlier this year where Explorations was, but it is a  real bonus, as the group playing there is fantastic and draws huge crowds.  All is not bad, just different."  

• Like 1

Check out your deck plans.   When we did the Rotterdam in 2016, the aft on deck 2 was near a shared outside area.  They had a door at the end of the hallway that opened to what they called her "private balcony."   Can't speak to the cabin, because it was handicapped.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

According to Bobpatj on the "Exc/On location port lecturer elimination" thread, 2020 dry dock changes are not waiting for 2020......changes to the Rotterdam are happening NOW on board as they do the TA to FLL!!!

"We are on the Rotterdam now, sailing back to FLL.  Glenn-Michael is our Cruise Director/EXC Director.  The day before we were to arrive in Naples, Italy, he gave us the temperature for Naples, FL.  As we sailed the Transatlantic portion of our cruise, they installed the new Dueling Piano area where the Piano Bar was, which now puts Jamm and other Piano Bar folks out of a job.  Lincoln Center was installed earlier this year where Explorations was, but it is a  real bonus, as the group playing there is fantastic and draws huge crowds.  All is not bad, just different."  

When you say Explorations do you mean the cafe to get coffee? Is that where the Lincoln Center is now? If so where is the exploration cafe?

Denise😊

15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

When you say Explorations do you mean the cafe to get coffee?

I'm certain that Explorers Lounge is what was meant. That's where the chamber music has always been located on the S- & R-class ships. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

I'm certain that Explorers Lounge is what was meant. That's where the chamber music has always been located on the S- & R-class ships. 

Yes, Lincoln Center is now in the old Explorers Lounge area.

The only disadvantage to that area is the sometimes boisterous passengers passing by in the walkway to or from the dining room. Some seemed to never catch on that there is a performance going on.

For what it’s worth, we had outside cabin DD2690 on the Rotterdam this past February for two weeks, very close to the “secret area”. We had a great cruise - but our cabin did have some floorboard damage near the bathroom, as did the hallway. It was crumbly. But I was so happy to be on the ship that I didn’t even notice until halfway through

That hidden area is very nice for running out and checking the weather, looking at the sea and ports, but you can’t see out when you are in a lounger. 

• Like 1

Her budget didn’t allow for the Navigation deck aft balcony.   Currently we are port side aft a few doors down from the secret deck.   Hoping for an upsell but that is months away.   Thanks for all of the input

On 11/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, boze9999 said:

I was hoping that the "dueling pianos" downgrade would wait until the Dec 2020 drydock.   We are on the 29 day Rotterdam to FLL cruise in Oct 2020 and we really enjoy the traditional piano bar with a single talented musician.

To rip out the whole "Mix" area, including the piano bar, they would have to shut down that whole section of deck 5 for many days.  I am amazed that they would do this with passengers onboard.   Just the noise and inconvenience should have had a lot of passengers running to the front desk for rebates and cabin credits.   What a disappointment !! 

• Like 1

Just now, TAD2005 said:

I was hoping that the "dueling pianos" downgrade would wait until the Dec 2020 drydock.   We are on the 29 day Rotterdam to FLL cruise in Oct 2020 and we really enjoy the traditional piano bar with a single talented musician.

To rip out the whole "Mix" area, including the piano bar, they would have to shut down that whole section of deck 5 for many days.  I am amazed that they would do this with passengers onboard.   Just the noise and inconvenience should have had a lot of passengers running to the front desk for rebates and cabin credits.   What a disappointment !! 

It was tastefully boarded off with graphic displayed boarding and was completed in ten days. The two pianos and several TV’s will be added in Fort Lauderdale. 
Piano entertainer Jamm and piano was moved to Crows Nest.

New area looks great and is open to guest. Suspect Billboard will start next cruise.

Have not heard one complaint but I’m sure their are some moaners out there.

It’s been a very good cruise and after 32 days will end in two days.

Looking forward to cruising on Her next October.