Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mary229

Rotterdam - Next Drydock, last drydock

Recommended Posts

I am trying to make a hasty decision about a summer cruise with my very particular sister.  When last and when next is the Rotterdam to be refurbished.  Any comments on the far aft cabins of the 2nd floor.  Thank you for your input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is a very nice thread at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2707814-november-2019-update-hal-dry-docks-charters-groups/?tab=comments#comment-58709548

updated reqularly by @VMax1700 which lists information about dry docks and charters.

It shows that Rotterdam is not currently scheduled for a dry dock and the last one was completed on 03 Nov 17.

The most current thread can be found by searching this forum for "dry dock charter"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If her last docking was 11/17, then she is due again around May 2020.  Just because a ship does a drydocking, doesn't mean that there is much refurbishment of hotel areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on Rotterdam at present. Captain said this morning at coffee chat with the Captain that next drydock is Dec 202o.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am trying to make a hasty decision about a summer cruise with my very particular sister.  When last and when next is the Rotterdam to be refurbished.  Any comments on the far aft cabins of the 2nd floor.  Thank you for your input

 I was on the Rotterdam in May. Everything looked fine. My cabin was on the lower promenade.

 

The only engineering issue was the door (nearest to my cabin) to the promenade was 'loose. Wind blew through it constantly. The corridor was chilly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the Rotterdam in 2017 just prior to dry dock and was quite disappointed in the ship’s condition.  We went ahead and booked the Viking Saga for next summer. It is on courtesy hold while I make a final decision on which cabin I really want.  Thanks for your input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailed on  Rotterdam   in a  c  outside cabin category & the ship was in great shape in March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailed on Rotterdam in September/October, she was in great shape, she will be in drydock December 8th 2020 until December 20th (gap in the schedule and as stated before on a similar thread). I believe next to the regular maintenance, they will replace the Mix Bar by the music walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked one of the far aft cabins deck 2 on a long voyage. As we travelled extensively over the years on the rotterdam, the location was familiar and I looked at it during a previous voyage. The reason for booking that cabin was the easy acces to the almost private deck aft. The cabin itself is like every ocean view, with an obstructive view, which is the outside staircase to deck 3. There is one major disadvantage. Being so low and aft, the engine noise is noticable especially when going fast. Also be prepared to wake up when the ship is manoevring to dock in the morning.

 

In the end we got upgraded to a verandah deck 6 which was marvelous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

We booked one of the far aft cabins deck 2 on a long voyage. As we travelled extensively over the years on the rotterdam, the location was familiar and I looked at it during a previous voyage. The reason for booking that cabin was the easy acces to the almost private deck aft. The cabin itself is like every ocean view, with an obstructive view, which is the outside staircase to deck 3. There is one major disadvantage. Being so low and aft, the engine noise is noticable especially when going fast. Also be prepared to wake up when the ship is manoevring to dock in the morning.

 

In the end we got upgraded to a verandah deck 6 which was marvelous.

Thank you for your input.  I don't know what it is but I never like being lower than promenade.   I booked on the Navigation Deck.  I have sailed on the Navigation deck before but not in the far aft.  I wonder if they are configured differently than the regular verandah cabins.  

Edited by Mary229

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thank you for your input.  I don't know what it is but I never like being lower than promenade.   I booked on the Navigation Deck.  I have sailed on the Navigation deck before but not in the far aft.  I wonder if they are configured differently than the regular verandah cabins.  

We had the aft corner verandah on deck 6 three times, ideal. The verandah's on deck 7 are the same, but some people complain about noise as the aft pool area is directly above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jakkojakko said:

We had the aft corner verandah on deck 6 three times, ideal. The verandah's on deck 7 are the same, but some people complain about noise as the aft pool area is directly above.

That is very helpful.  It is a spring Northern Europe cruise so I don't think pool noise is an issue.  Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Bobpatj on the "Exc/On location port lecturer elimination" thread, 2020 dry dock changes are not waiting for 2020......changes to the Rotterdam are happening NOW on board as they do the TA to FLL!!!

 

"We are on the Rotterdam now, sailing back to FLL.  Glenn-Michael is our Cruise Director/EXC Director.  The day before we were to arrive in Naples, Italy, he gave us the temperature for Naples, FL.  As we sailed the Transatlantic portion of our cruise, they installed the new Dueling Piano area where the Piano Bar was, which now puts Jamm and other Piano Bar folks out of a job.  Lincoln Center was installed earlier this year where Explorations was, but it is a  real bonus, as the group playing there is fantastic and draws huge crowds.  All is not bad, just different."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out your deck plans.   When we did the Rotterdam in 2016, the aft on deck 2 was near a shared outside area.  They had a door at the end of the hallway that opened to what they called her "private balcony."   Can't speak to the cabin, because it was handicapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

According to Bobpatj on the "Exc/On location port lecturer elimination" thread, 2020 dry dock changes are not waiting for 2020......changes to the Rotterdam are happening NOW on board as they do the TA to FLL!!!

 

"We are on the Rotterdam now, sailing back to FLL.  Glenn-Michael is our Cruise Director/EXC Director.  The day before we were to arrive in Naples, Italy, he gave us the temperature for Naples, FL.  As we sailed the Transatlantic portion of our cruise, they installed the new Dueling Piano area where the Piano Bar was, which now puts Jamm and other Piano Bar folks out of a job.  Lincoln Center was installed earlier this year where Explorations was, but it is a  real bonus, as the group playing there is fantastic and draws huge crowds.  All is not bad, just different."  

When you say Explorations do you mean the cafe to get coffee? Is that where the Lincoln Center is now? If so where is the exploration cafe?

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

When you say Explorations do you mean the cafe to get coffee?

I'm certain that Explorers Lounge is what was meant. That's where the chamber music has always been located on the S- & R-class ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ruth! That is what I thought but it seemed vague with the interpretation that was given!

As always  I will always take your incite

and thanks for your response!

Denise😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RuthC said:

I'm certain that Explorers Lounge is what was meant. That's where the chamber music has always been located on the S- & R-class ships. 

Yes, Lincoln Center is now in the old Explorers Lounge area.

 

The only disadvantage to that area is the sometimes boisterous passengers passing by in the walkway to or from the dining room. Some seemed to never catch on that there is a performance going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, we had outside cabin DD2690 on the Rotterdam this past February for two weeks, very close to the “secret area”. We had a great cruise - but our cabin did have some floorboard damage near the bathroom, as did the hallway. It was crumbly. But I was so happy to be on the ship that I didn’t even notice until halfway through

 

That hidden area is very nice for running out and checking the weather, looking at the sea and ports, but you can’t see out when you are in a lounger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her budget didn’t allow for the Navigation deck aft balcony.   Currently we are port side aft a few doors down from the secret deck.   Hoping for an upsell but that is months away.   Thanks for all of the input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, boze9999 said:

According to Bobpatj on the "Exc/On location port lecturer elimination" thread, 2020 dry dock changes are not waiting for 2020......changes to the Rotterdam are happening NOW on board as they do the TA to FLL!!!

 

"We are on the Rotterdam now, sailing back to FLL.  Glenn-Michael is our Cruise Director/EXC Director.  The day before we were to arrive in Naples, Italy, he gave us the temperature for Naples, FL.  As we sailed the Transatlantic portion of our cruise, they installed the new Dueling Piano area where the Piano Bar was, which now puts Jamm and other Piano Bar folks out of a job.  Lincoln Center was installed earlier this year where Explorations was, but it is a  real bonus, as the group playing there is fantastic and draws huge crowds.  All is not bad, just different."  

I was hoping that the "dueling pianos" downgrade would wait until the Dec 2020 drydock.   We are on the 29 day Rotterdam to FLL cruise in Oct 2020 and we really enjoy the traditional piano bar with a single talented musician.

To rip out the whole "Mix" area, including the piano bar, they would have to shut down that whole section of deck 5 for many days.  I am amazed that they would do this with passengers onboard.   Just the noise and inconvenience should have had a lot of passengers running to the front desk for rebates and cabin credits.   What a disappointment !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TAD2005 said:

I was hoping that the "dueling pianos" downgrade would wait until the Dec 2020 drydock.   We are on the 29 day Rotterdam to FLL cruise in Oct 2020 and we really enjoy the traditional piano bar with a single talented musician.

To rip out the whole "Mix" area, including the piano bar, they would have to shut down that whole section of deck 5 for many days.  I am amazed that they would do this with passengers onboard.   Just the noise and inconvenience should have had a lot of passengers running to the front desk for rebates and cabin credits.   What a disappointment !! 

It was tastefully boarded off with graphic displayed boarding and was completed in ten days. The two pianos and several TV’s will be added in Fort Lauderdale. 
Piano entertainer Jamm and piano was moved to Crows Nest.

 

New area looks great and is open to guest. Suspect Billboard will start next cruise.

 

Have not heard one complaint but I’m sure their are some moaners out there.

 

It’s been a very good cruise and after 32 days will end in two days.

 

Looking forward to cruising on Her next October.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...