50th anniversary family cruise. What line?

51st FMS

.My wife and I would like to take our family (2 sets of parents and 6 kids) on a cruise to celebrate our 50th anniversary.  Our grandchildren ages are or will be 16, 15, 14 (2), 12  and 9.  We are thinking of an Alaskan trip in the summer or Caribbean trip at Christmas.  We have always been on Holland America or Princess (our age group) so I know we need to look at a much younger demographic for the grand kids sake as well as their parents. Would like to get cabins that are adjoined for the families of course one for us.  Those of you that have made a trip like this, would you please give us some insights.  Thank you

I wouldn't completely rule out Princess in Alaska.  They do a great job in Alaska, have a really good kids club, and some really interesting on board experiences in Alaska, including bringing dogs on board:  https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/ .  My kids loved Princess, though they are much younger than your grandchildren.  In the Caribbean, I'd agree you probably want a newer RC or NCL ship with bells and whistles for kids, but I think there's a lot of great things to do in port in Alaska at those ages (if you can afford it, the helicopter to dogsled is amazing, as is the deadliest catch excursion) and I would consider Princess.

• Like 1

Alaska:  Princess, they have a dominate presence with some many sailings you should find a schedule and port lineup that works for you.  In the summer princess Alaska is still great fun, with multiple ports, what will make it fun is what you got lined up for the young and old that is jointly fun in Port.

Tropics:  As you noted a RCCL mega ship, all about fun in the sun.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree.  We’ve done the land and cruise excursion on Princes to Alaska.  They have lots of activities for youth that are not only fun but educational.  I would definitely consider a private whale watching trip in Juneau   Smaller boat than the large boats from the cruise excursions.   

• 4 weeks later...

Kitkat343

i am looking at taking my family if 4 (4 and 8 yr old) and parents (76, 72) on a cruise.

It will be my parents 50th anniversary.

any suggestions on which cruise ship you liked the best? Specific month to leave? Any pointers?

is it possible to get all of us in a suite or is it best to get two connecting rooms?

overall ships are in newer condition? Looking for 6 to 7 days

thanks

14 hours ago, Cnote74 said:

Kitkat343

i am looking at taking my family if 4 (4 and 8 yr old) and parents (76, 72) on a cruise.

It will be my parents 50th anniversary.

any suggestions on which cruise ship you liked the best? Specific month to leave? Any pointers?

is it possible to get all of us in a suite or is it best to get two connecting rooms?

overall ships are in newer condition? Looking for 6 to 7 days

thanks

Did you want to travel to Alaska?  If you don't know exactly where you want to go, what type of vacation would your family most like (beach, adventure, cities with museums? )

This article will help  you identify cruise lines with rooms that can fit your entire family:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=259  .

Please note that it may be cheaper to book two cabins than one suite (even with a  family of 4 I was told two interior rooms would be cheaper sometimes).  Also, some cruise lines don't let you book larger rooms online  - you need to call them directly to price out the larger rooms (this is a pain I'm sorry).  You'd want more than one bathroom (and I hope rooms that can sleep six would have that, but its best to check everything) and to price compare the one suite vs two rooms.  

Alaskan cruises are all about Alaska....and not so much the ship's activities or "bells and whistles".  For the Caribbean, it's more about the ship, since most Caribbean destinations are all about the weather, sun, beaches, etc....and you will have more sea days to enjoy the "bells and whistles" on the ship.

• 4 months later...

Update:   We booked the Emerald Princess with the 2 family suites and a mini for ourselves to Alaska for August 2021.  A bit more expensive than connecting cabins.  All are club class with tips, wi-fi and drink packages included (soda for kids).  One draw back is the family cabins are at the very front of the ship and the balcony will not be much use.  We just hope everything is back to some sort of normal in a year.