Norway expedition January or November?

peppajay

We are looking at doing the new expidition cruise from Bergen to North Cape and return in winter as we have wanted to do the coastal cruise at that time since doing a summer voyage. There is unite a good special at the moment on the expedition cruise so thought we would take that instead. Having trouble deciding between mid November or late January. I know there is no guarantee for NL but would you recommend one of these times over the other and why? 

Thank you 

Honestly very hard to advise. Length of days about the same. Northern Lights are always a gamble and so is weather. In theory you should have more quality snow in January for winter activities, but this year snow started falling at the end of October and passengers in November were able to do dog sledding. Statistically the weather is wetter in November, but again this year in November the weather seems pretty incredible.
On the whole I would say you have better odds for the real winter experience in January. If I had this choice that's what I would pick. But this can be completely not true on a given year.

Norway had lovely weather some of the days in November this year and I saw many photos of Northern lights posted. Unfortunately, though, this is no guarantee. Whereas "Clo" posted beautiful pictures from her trip in March we went in late March as well and didn't have a speck of Northern lights. (I think we'll try again in October next year...Or I might try December because of Christmas markets etc.))