Souvenirs

anniedave

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

I like GastroGnomeā€™s idea of beer mats, aĀ good excuse to sample local speciality drinks in each port!

Ā 

We took several beer mats to Hobby Lobby to have them affixed to a mat and made into a picture to hang on the wall. Ā 

The way I handle it is, I don't buy souvenirs.

Ā 

I travel too much, and anything I got, would overwhelm my house.

Ā 

That said, I have been known to pick up a bottle of the local alcoholic drink.Ā  But I have to be careful, as my house it being overwhelmed with liquor.Ā  But that is better than being overwhelmed with stuffed lizards or tea towels. šŸ˜„

Ā 

A friend's daughter collects fridge magnets, so I picked them up for her.Ā  I get the fun of picking them out, but not dealing with them.Ā  Their fridge became overwhelmed, and her SO mounted a metal plate on the wall for the overflow. šŸ˜„

Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco said:

Most everyone we know already has too much "Stuff".Ā  We purchase consumable things. IE: Jellies, jams, sauces, spices, candy etc.

Ā 

And they can overwhelm your house. šŸ˜„

Ā 

You actually have to EAT them when you get home. šŸ™‚

Ā 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

That said, I have been known to pick up a bottle of the local alcoholic drink.Ā 

We've done that a few times. Cachaca of course in Rio but also a non-ouzo one from Greece. Something bourbon-y from somewhere in SE Asia.

2 hours ago, marco said:

Most everyone we know already has too much "Stuff".Ā  We purchase consumable things. IE: Jellies, jams, sauces, spices, candy etc.

I love to cook so will sometimes bring back olive oil.

We buy practical items we forgot/lost/broke/otherwise need with the the local placeā€™s name on it. Ā E.g corkscrew that says ā€œWashington DCā€. nail clippers that say ā€œā€Parisā€. sweatshirtsĀ that says ā€œI ā¤ļøNYā€. The decision to purchase the item is based on need but rather than getting a generic version we spend extra and get one that works as a souvenir. Ā Our collection of umbrellas from various locations is a testament to how often we have encountered rain when the forecast called for clear skys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a jewelry/scarf hoarder. Ā They are easy to put in my bag when I buy them. Ā They get lots of use at home. Ā When I'm picking out which earrings to wear to work, I think of the places I bought when I pick then out. Ā When someone comments on a scarf I'm wearing, it reminds me of the vacation I took. Ā Ā 

I just got back from my camping roadtrip - I bought a necklace from a nice Navajo woman (we chatted awhile about rugs and Native Elder weavings) in Monument Valley, some unique wood and silver earrings in Bryce Canyon NP, and, after searching the entire trip, a very cool pendant with ribbonĀ turquoise in it. Ā 

Just now, clo said:

I even brought back some beautiful capers from Rio.Ā  And, oh my, the spices from the Spice Market in Istanbul.

One of my son in laws frequently travels to Rio on business and has brought back some items .My other son in law loves to cook and we always bring back things for him,spices ,cooking wines,etc.

We have bought Christmas ornaments, but our best buy was small (about 8cm by 6cm) Caribbean nativities, which we gave to family and friends one Christmas, and we often notice these on their mantel pieces or under their tree, at Christmas.

Ā 

7 minutes ago, jocap said:

We have bought Christmas ornaments, but our best buy was small (about 8cm by 6cm) Caribbean nativities, which we gave to family and friends one Christmas, and we often notice these on their mantel pieces or under their tree, at Christmas.

Ā 

We've bought things that go on our Christmas tree but didn't start their lives as Christmas ornaments.Ā  One is a glass evil eye from Turkey.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, RealBatman said:

This won't directly answer your question, but something I wish I had done was go to the ship gift shop, and purchase a replica model of the ship we were sailing on. The models are not sold off ship - so if you don't purchase it ON the ship, they are difficult and much more expensive to purchase. Above my office desk, is a model of Silhouette... a quick glance brings back many wonderful memories of people and places! (heavy sigh). Then, back to work! LOL

šŸ˜Ž šŸ˜‰

My better half would like to pickup a model of the ship we'll be on. Do you or anyone else for that matterĀ happen to know the approximate cost of them?

On 11/16/2019 at 1:58 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Ā I buy tee shirts from every place I have ever been to.I have close to 100.If I return to a place I wear the respective tee shirt.

Ā 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, George C said:

When I stated cruising in 1975 I was a large now I am a size XXLšŸ˜¢

Ā 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

When I started cruising in 1973 I was a medium ,now I am a large.

I am 6ā€™5 and weigh 185.

Ā 

All thoseĀ t-shirts can be made into a quilt. I made one for my husband out of Harley shirts and now he is collecting again for a larger quilt.Ā 

Ā 

I recently heard the idea of buying something you need for the house anyways, like pots & pans or dishes. That way it doesn't take up extra space at home and you get the memories when you use it.Ā 

• Like 1