My First Viking River Cruise

What was that?

On November 20, 2019 at 8:50 AM, philw1776 said:

One service I stumbled across is having the crew, concierge or front desk, buy and print tickets to museums, etc. for us to tour on our own.  On river used this to visit Van Gogh on embarkation day as we'd arrived shipboard at 8AM.  They fed us as we waited for our room to be ready.  It was ready before we finished.  Then we were off to tour.  I was exhausted from the overnight flight though.

One word of caution with this approach. Very popular sites (Ann Frank House, Eiffel Tower, Familia Sagrada, etc.) may not have timed tickets available on the same day. You can get these tickets on line, in advance from home.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

One word of caution with this approach. Very popular sites (Ann Frank House, Eiffel Tower, Familia Sagrada, etc.) may not have timed tickets available on the same day. You can get these tickets on line, in advance from home.

Very true.  Do your homework.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:11 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Wishing you a wonderful Northern Lights trip!  Looking forward to being on the Venus for the Rome-to-Barcelona sailing in January '21 that Viking offered the Sky guests from this past March. Have never been on a new ship before, let alone one of the inaugural sailings. The northern lights trip we did was amazing...while it lasted. 

Has Viking given you departure/arrival dates and itinerary yet?

Nothing beyond what was on the "save the date" email we got a few months ago...Jan. 18-25, Rome to Barcelona. No other detail. 

According to your 'future cruise' list, looks like you're doing the 1/26/21 Iberian Explorer cruise with us from Barcelona to London!  So we're doing a B2B, only with that one day in between - not sure how that will work yet. I started a roll call for the Iberian cruise, but so far no posts. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

29 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Nothing beyond what was on the "save the date" email we got a few months ago...Jan. 18-25, Rome to Barcelona. No other detail. 

According to your 'future cruise' list, looks like you're doing the 1/26/21 Iberian Explorer cruise with us from Barcelona to London!  So we're doing a B2B, only with that one day in between - not sure how that will work yet. I started a roll call for the Iberian cruise, but so far no posts. 

In the meantime, follow the roll call for 2020. You never know what you will learn.

Yes, that one of the towers of the Alhambra and behind it are the Sierra Nevadas and the highest peak in Spain --and yes, that is snow.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, that one of the towers of the Alhambra and behind it are the Sierra Nevadas and the highest peak in Spain --and yes, that is snow.

You had me there for a moment with "Sierra Nevadas" - I live in Reno, NV, and we have those, too.

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

You had me there for a moment with "Sierra Nevadas" - I live in Reno, NV, and we have those, too.

The same people did the naming. I live in New England and so many of the towns were named after towns in England by people who had emigrated from England.

In any case, if you are planning on going to Granada from where the ship docks in Malaga (not difficult since the bus station is a 10 minute cab ride from the ship and the are frequent buses between the two cities, if you don't get a spot on the Viking tour), plan on it being winter coat cold in Granada and inside the Alhambra, which is not centrally heated.

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The same people did the naming. I live in New England and so many of the towns were named after towns in England by people who had emigrated from England.

In any case, if you are planning on going to Granada from where the ship docks in Malaga (not difficult since the bus station is a 10 minute cab ride from the ship and the are frequent buses between the two cities, if you don't get a spot on the Viking tour), plan on it being winter coat cold in Granada and inside the Alhambra, which is not centrally heated.

Yeah - I lived in Texas where all the names seem to be copied from elsewhere!

And Granada, eh? I should probably do some climate (and elevation) research for that trip. But of course, since we will be B2B with the Northern Lights cruise, we will probably pack suitable clothing anyway - we just have to have some idea of when we will need to wear it...