EDGE SUNSET VERANDA REVIEW....11/15/19, ABC ISLANDS

hcat

We are on the EDGE again!  Nice to be back on board!

Focus here will be on our SV staterooml

Last January we were in   AQ Class in an  Infinite Veranda which we enjoyed...dining in BLU....access to the Thermal suites. ( I'll post a link to that review later, if anyone is interested)

Trying something new this time around.  We have a middle Sunset Veranda, deck 7, dead on midships.  Cabin is really great.  It is much larger than the IV,  and has  a huge outside balcony.  We had a brand new sun lounger delivered for the balcony, and brought in one of the uncomfy EDGE seats for extra inside seating.  We have the bed by the balcony...but where the IV would be,  we have  nice added indoor space adjacent to the balcony doors.  Cabin has real drapes that  can be opened or closed and  the most Amazing view.  It is one of the nicest cabins we have ever  experienced

A few downsides  to the aft location are:  you can feel ship movement quite a bit,  can feel and hear engine vibration but not terrible, and  there is somtimes noise from the adjacent balconies ( not as sound proof as the Infinite Veranda ) There is a looong  distance to the elevators,  but  we are taking  the long walks  as a positive, getting our daily walking in...

Will try to measure the balc as requested by Vt cruiser and will try to post some photos...not my strong skill!

• Like 9

Thank you for posting info and pictures of the SV cabin!  We’re booked into one (on deck 10) in January and can’t wait.  We love the aft cabins and don’t mind the bit of vibration as we feel the views and balconies are worth the trade off.

Glad you made it onboard! Nice job with the pictures. The balcony looks great - nice view!  Hope the rain cleared up and that you will enjoy some nice weather.  When we were back there in an S1, we didn't notice a lot of extra movement - maybe it is because we sail in the aft the majority of the time, so the movement is normal for us?

Did you have to ask for the lounger? Could you have had two?

Have you seen Deb? Did you hear that she broke her foot and is in a wheelchair? The cruise is totally sold out so didn't have an accessible cabin for her. Please give her my regards, if you see her. I know she has been planning this for so long and hope she is able to enjoy the ship and get some pampering.

Have a wonderful time!  Looking forward to hearing more when you have time. 🙂

Glad you made it aboard safely.    The cabin really looks wonderful and I am sure you will enjoy in, especially on those balmy Caribbean evenings.  

Hopefully the vibrations aren't too bothersome.  

We were fully forward (adjacent to the the Captain's Cabin) on deck 11.   We for the most part didn't have any vibrations except for the day they tried to dock in Mykonos.    They had thrusters on full for about 1 1/2 hours at 6:00 AM and It was very strong vibrations.    The winds were too high and they eventually decided to Tender rather than stay docked.

Anxiously awaiting all of your new discoveries.    BTW -  I eventually ended up buying a $25 Edge hat.   I passed on the $95 T-shirts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Ha!  This looks like a normal balcony.  Enjoy..

Except much bigger than any other balcony on Solstice ships for a balcony cabin. 

We are in a SV on deck 8 for a July Med cruise. The lounger looks great and hoping they all receive one. Did they?

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Except much bigger than any other balcony on Solstice ships for a balcony cabin. 

We are in a SV on deck 8 for a July Med cruise. The lounger looks great and hoping they all receive one. Did they?

It does look bigger.  The Infinite Veranda is small...

Hi all..thanks for all the good wishes

Yes we asked for the lounger..only asked for one...room for 2,

Have not seen Deb yet..sorry she was injured.

My flowers arrived!  Double order ???

I have more photos of the cabin and dining and music, shows  etc to post, later, plus  dining info and reactions ( we like the 4 mdrs but it is different than BLU, nice change for us).

We are not making it to Gr Caymen today.,,too windy.  We were staying inboard anyhow... but we will be sharing the ship with more people!

Bests so far...the aerial show Mirage.. WOW!, Tuscan restaurant... the Australian Sea Bass was exceptional.   Great service, friendly staff and officers,  CD Eddy  and Cap Club host michae all excellentl...Master is  Cap Costas Nestoroudis  who was on in Jan...top notch!

Have a spa appt... will post more when I can.. sunrise at Gr Cayman from SV

20191117_065123.jpg

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

I have more photos of the cabin and dining and music, shows  etc to post, later, plus  dining info and reactions ( we like the 4 mdrs but it is different than BLU, nice change for us).

We are not making it to Gr Caymen today.,,too windy.  We were staying inboard anyhow... but we will be sharing the ship with more people!

Bests so far...the aerial show Mirage.. WOW!, Tuscan restaurant... the Australian Sea Bass was exceptional.   Great service, friendly staff and officers,  CD Eddy  and Cap Club host michae all excellentl...Master is  Cap Costas Nestoroudis  who was on in Jan...top notch!

Have a spa appt... will post more when I can.. sunrise at Gr Cayman from SV

Wow! So glad you are having a great time so far. I hope the weather/wind will improve as you head further south.

Sounds like the Tuscan was nice.   I usually stay away from fish in any MDR  - happy to hear that it is so good (maybe since it is a smaller MDR so less apt to sit around drying out?). It must be weird to be in the MDR after so many years of Blu.

Your sunrise photo is amazing!  Can't wait to be back there on the Apex in 140 days. Enjoy the spa!  Have you seen any interesting Edge jewelry? 🙂

13 hours ago, Pushka said:

While the Sunset View balconies on Edge are large and inviting--for me, they're certainly far more appealing than the Infinite Verandahs [not a fan; loved Edge but twice with that feature was enough], I'm not sure that they are any larger in terms of total square footage than some of those irregularly shaped ones located "on the slants" of the Solstice-Class ships.  And as I suspect you know, they seem to be way smaller than any of the aft balconies [Family Verandah and Concierge 1] located on Decks 7 through 9 of the Millennium-Class ships.

With no need for a suite, I'll certainly look for an SV if I choose to sail Edge again or to book Apex [and potentially, the successor three E-Class new builds if the IV design--in fairness, some do enjoy it--continues] in the future.

Thanks for the photos, hcat.  Have a great trip!

Edited by Xport

Thanks for the detailed review of your SV, we have three booked on the Apex May 10 sailing, the two middle ones plus one next to it. I was hoping for Deck 9 but they didn’t have three available, so Deck 8 it is, am hoping we won’t feel the ship’s movement too much. DH still doesn’t know about the long walk to the elevators, will tell him he’s getting his 10000 steps, lol 😂 

Have made myself a mental note to request loungers for the verandah, though the table looks rather small!

40 minutes ago, prish said:

DH still doesn’t know about the long walk to the elevators,

The first couple of times you do the walk, it feels long, but you get used to it quickly, and by the end you barely notice. The only two things I do, when in the aft, is leave a few minutes earlier to get to the theater (or any place way forward) and I make sure that I don't forget anything! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

We also loved our SV on deck 9. We had the bed by the bathroom and preferred that. Cabin felt roomy , with lots of room to store things in the bathroom, too. It was a long way to walk to the theatre, though, but convenient to the "feeding troughs" 😎

We asked for a lounger and got it, as well as a soft topper for the bed because I found the mattress a bit hard.

The only thing we didn't like much about the SV cabin was the amount of soot we found on the railings, chairs and the floor every morning. We took to using pool towels to cover the chairs before sitting down and wiped the railings with tissues in the morning. (Of course the stateroom attendant cleaned everything later, but we wanted a look at the scenery right after crawling out of bed!)