EDGE SUNSET VERANDA REVIEW....11/15/19, ABC ISLANDS

hcat

47 minutes ago, grayjay said:

We also loved our SV on deck 9. We had the bed by the bathroom and preferred that. Cabin felt roomy , with lots of room to store things in the bathroom, too. It was a long way to walk to the theatre, though, but convenient to the "feeding troughs" 😎

We asked for a lounger and got it, as well as a soft topper for the bed because I found the mattress a bit hard.

The only thing we didn't like much about the SV cabin was the amount of soot we found on the railings, chairs and the floor every morning. We took to using pool towels to cover the chairs before sitting down and wiped the railings with tissues in the morning. (Of course the stateroom attendant cleaned everything later, but we wanted a look at the scenery right after crawling out of bed!)

It's funny because my DH calls the OVC the feeding trough too. It is true that you can get there fairly quickly (and deserve dessert since you have done a lot of walking). 🙂

We have done a lot of sailing in the aft over the years and soot is always a potential issue. It must depend upon ship direction, wind direction and other factors because sometimes we have no soot, others a dusting and one time a moderate to large amount on an RCI ship where it was a black coating many mornings. On the Edge in an S1 corner aft on Deck 11, we had a dusting. I didn't notice it because of the speckled grey paint on the balcony, but my DH pointed it out. We probably lucked out with wind direction, etc.

I think those who prefer the aft appreciate the quiet, the views and usual larger balconies and are willing to deal with the potential soot and the long walk to the theater. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

My main concern about the IV was that the windows can be forced locked if deemed necessary by the Crew. While it may not always be pleasant on the balcony in extra rough, wet, or hot weather, I need to have the choice to have an open window. Clearly I wouldn’t like an inside. 

Thankyou all for the soot tip. Will take a couple of pool towels with us every evening back to the cabin for the morning photos. 

Edited by Pushka

The Veranda is very large and  much nicer than the ones we have had on the "hump"

I brought a small tape measure....we'll see how that works out.  There is an overhang of about 5 ft,,..just right for some shade at times,  if you look up from the railing you can see upstairs neighbors..and they can see you..  So nothing naughty out there! Can't wait for starry night!    There is no bad vibration, no soot or ash and no sound from EDEN below us or outside speakers..

X did a great job with new events today as it became a sea day...we were told  we were all set at Gr Cayman,  but the Harbormaster closed the port..so off we went.  Tom is an already set sea day.  Our amazing Captain is hoping to get us to Curacao much earlier the folowing day to make up for  it.  Stil folks complain????

Had a nice breakfast in Cosmopolitan, excellent Swedish Massage.  Superb lunch at the Bistro.....

My writing is rushed...limited internet time and dh is not a fan of my  posting so much ,.tom I will highlight the 4 mdrs and Elite Breakfast..buffet style in Tuscan Grill

• Thanks 2

We both had a very  good onion soup. Sal has short ribs, I had a  wild mushroom tart, wine   no room for desert...They sent us home with a little care package of cakes  The sommelier here is  outstanding..she  seems very knowledgeable..altho we are not!  We will miss the Brunch..conflicts with the Art Tour.

20191117_120019.jpg

20191117_115950.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, hcat said:

We are on the EDGE again!  Nice to be back on board!

Focus here will be on our SV staterooml

Last January we were in   AQ Class in an  Infinite Veranda which we enjoyed...dining in BLU....access to the Thermal suites. ( I'll post a link to that review later, if anyone is interested)

Trying something new this time around.  We have a middle Sunset Veranda, deck 7, dead on midships.  Cabin is really great.  It is much larger than the IV,  and has  a huge outside balcony.  We had a brand new sun lounger delivered for the balcony, and brought in one of the uncomfy EDGE seats for extra inside seating.  We have the bed by the balcony...but where the IV would be,  we have  nice added indoor space adjacent to the balcony doors.  Cabin has real drapes that  can be opened or closed and  the most Amazing view.  It is one of the nicest cabins we have ever  experienced

A few downsides  to the aft location are:  you can feel ship movement quite a bit,  can feel and hear engine vibration but not terrible, and  there is somtimes noise from the adjacent balconies ( not as sound proof as the Infinite Veranda ) There is a looong  distance to the elevators,  but  we are taking  the long walks  as a positive, getting our daily walking in...

Will try to measure the balc as requested by Vt cruiser and will try to post some photos...not my strong skill!

So glad that you are enjoying the larger balcony.  A girlfriend and I have one booked on deck 11 in May, so it may be a little smaller, according to Marilyn.  However, we will be happy no matter what, as the wake is perfect. The room between the bed and slider looks ideal, so I am glad that is the configuration on ours too.  I have the same deck 11 cabin booked on a b2b with a TA(suite) in October of next year; however, it will be a 50% chance as to whether we can go or not.  Oh well, it just is what it is...I am very happy to read the experiences of others!

Keep posting, even though your DH would rather you not, as I always enjoy your information...Have a great time onboard and off!  Just do not make him mad...blame me!

Suzy

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Looking forward to your review.  We board the Edge next May. 

What date is your cruise in May?  I have only been on the Edge once for a TA this year, and really enjoyed the ship.

Edited by Lastdance

28 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So glad that you are enjoying the larger balcony.  A girlfriend and I have one booked on deck 11 in May, so it may be a little smaller, according to Marilyn.  However, we will be happy no matter what, as the wake is perfect. The room between the bed and slider looks ideal, so I am glad that is the configuration on ours too.  I have the same deck 11 cabin booked on a b2b with a TA(suite) in October of next year; however, it will be a 50% chance as to whether we can go or not.  Oh well, it just is what it is...I am very happy to read the experiences of others!

Keep posting, even though your DH would rather you not, as I always enjoy your information...Have a great time onboard and off!  Just do not make him mad...blame me!

Suzy

I have 11274 (right middle) SV for the Apex Inaugural cruise - bed by the balcony and 7315 (left middle) for the November Apex  cruise - bed by bath. I think each will have advantages and will enjoy the balconies, no matter the size. I toured one with a "regular"- sized SV balcony and it was amazing. 🙂  Following hcat's live review makes me even more excited. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

The Veranda is very large and  much nicer than the ones we have had on the "hump"

I brought a small tape measure....we'll see how that works out.  There is an overhang of about 5 ft,,..just right for some shade at times,  if you look up from the railing you can see upstairs neighbors..and they can see you..  So nothing naughty out there! Can't wait for starry night!    There is no bad vibration, no soot or ash and no sound from EDEN below us or outside speakers..

X did a great job with new events today as it became a sea day...we were told  we were all set at Gr Cayman,  but the Harbormaster closed the port..so off we went.  Tom is an already set sea day.  Our amazing Captain is hoping to get us to Curacao much earlier the folowing day to make up for  it.  Stil folks complain????

Had a nice breakfast in Cosmopolitan, excellent Swedish Massage.  Superb lunch at the Bistro.....

My writing is rushed...limited internet time and dh is not a fan of my  posting so much ,.tom I will highlight the 4 mdrs and Elite Breakfast..buffet style in Tuscan Grill

Thanks for all the great info and photos - great job!!  I really appreciate you taking the time to report back to us, but understand that your first responsibility is to have a wonderful cruise. The massage and lunch at LGB sound lovely. Hope that you and DH can enjoy that starry night on the balcony soon!

25 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I have 11274 (right middle) SV for the Apex Inaugural cruise - bed by the balcony and 7315 (left middle) for the November Apex  cruise - bed by bath. I think each will have advantages and will enjoy the balconies, no matter the size. I toured one with a "regular"- sized SV balcony and it was amazing. 🙂  Following hcat's live review makes me even more excited. 🙂

So good to know about Apex, as that is my SV on her too!  You are always way ahead of me, and I like it that way...

• Like 1

Hcat, thanks so much for the great reporting.  I’m glad to hear you are liking the SV cabin.  Are you noticing any motion due to the windy weather?

Hope you and hubby have a wonderful cruise and looking forward to your restaurant reporting.  Katie

P.S.  Just want to let you know today didn’t get out of the 60s here. 

THIRTEEN DAYS until we board Edge and enjoy our SV...and I cannot wait!

Thanks hcat for the photos of the balcony and info about requesting the lounger/s.  I actually enjoy the long walk to the cabin...I won't feel quite so guilty after spending so much time at the "trough."   I am also a huge fan of the stairs, having never taken an elevator on a ship...more steps equals more gelato!

SV9309...here we come 😎.

Susan

• Like 1

Another great Day on the Edge,,

Balcony view never gets old!

Been to the gym and Elite breakfast in Tuscan . Spending the am in EDEN for a dessert demo, reading and eventually lunch..hopefully quiet there,

Had an early night last night.  They feature live piano music at the Grand Plaza  pre diner time, but the gen  din is still quite loud. .  Ate at the buffet ...not very impressive compared to the  disembarkation lunch. Too many very spicy foods and lots of garlic,  No vampires alowed!  We  just wanted to eat light after that big meal at the  Bistro cafe so it was fine.

We re-arranged dinner for Curacao night as our excursion was changed to lunch out rather than dinner. We'll have dinner in Tuscan  instead,  we are still waitlisted for Dinner on the Edge for Aruba..not very optimstic about getting it,  menu is great ... Sal could have Chateaubriand in lieu of Lobster...

A few more cabin notes.  The SV is in balcony class so no canapes, fancy totes and such. ( I use my special bag " hcat is living on the edge"..a gift from Vt cruiser ! ) the towels are fairly scratchy and ratty but we are using the beach towels as bath towels. Stateroom service is excellent, even though we are at the end of the line!

Abundant storage and  adequate closet space... but that low bar is useless! Drawer in the bathroom underneath the sink is great for make up etc,. Very roomy.

Thanks for the encouragement for my efforts,

Will  post more later!

20191117_133138.jpg

20191118_080339.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm following along on your cruise with the App (I think). The shows and music look good. Is the White Party tomorrow night? I found a very long description of the Art Tour and took screen shots. It looks fantastic! I can post the description at some point, if you wish. It still isn't showing up for my Apex cruise. Hope we will have that option!

• Like 1

Hope you are having a great time!  Did you get a chance to actually measure the SV balcony yet?  

And, I thought I read on another thread that they were changing the chairs on the balconies for ones that are a little more compact in size?  Or was that happening only in the Infinite Verandah cabins?

So excited to be following along with you, hcat! I can't wait to hear how you like the art tour. I'll be back on the Edge on 12/8 and I'm considering that tour, so I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

If you happen to have a few spare moments and pass by the ilounge, would you mind checking to see if the iPad Pros that they sell are WiFi and cellular capable, and if they also sell the pens and keyboard that go with the Pro? I would appreciate it, but only if you have the time 😀