Amex offer 11/16/19 — 3/31/20

ZoeyVictoria

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It would’ve me too. Did both charges hit the same statement? If they did and you had loaded the offer to your card before the charges were made, you’re due the credit. I’d call Amex. The rep I talked to at the time said as long as the charges total at least $500 I’d get the credit and I did. 

I did load the card on the offer before I made the payment and it is listed as two separate charges both on Nov 17th.  What I get a kick out of it is that instead of one at $500 or two at $250, they did $238 and $262.  Why the odd combination?

I will give it a couple of days to see if the rebate comes through.  Naturally the charges popped up instantly.  It will be interesting because I made the reservations in June and the deal said something about having to make them between two dates that were after June.

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Use the back door americanexpress.com/wlcl 

Thank you!!!

I just added it to my husband's and my card.  We currently have 3 cruises booked.  We have used 2 other offers on both of our cards for 2 of the cruises.  This will be an additional $200 off.  We still have plenty of time before any of these cruises since they aren't until April 2021 and January 2022.  So far we have saved $350 which will go up to $550 with this offer.  Hopefully there will be other offers we will be able to use before those dates. Keep the offers coming!

28 minutes ago, martinchem said:

Reading the small print, I'm not sure this can be used with a travel agent booking. It does say through specific cruise lines only. Anyone have luck through a travel agent?

I have always used it through our travel agent. As long as the charge goes straight to the cruise line (as it should), there is no problem getting it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have always used it through our travel agent. As long as the charge goes straight to the cruise line (as it should), there is no problem getting it.

True. Some TA's will make a payment from their own funds in which case, the payment would not show up on your Amex card as a Carnival reservation. Our TA doesn't do that (and I've heard most do not) but rather just makes the payment using our Amex cards.

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

True. Some TA's will make a payment from their own funds in which case, the payment would not show up on your Amex card as a Carnival reservation. Our TA doesn't do that (and I've heard most do not) but rather just makes the payment using our Amex cards.

And I would never do business with a travel agent that didn't put the charge through directly to the cruise line.  If they use their funds you could end up with no cruise.  If they don't make the payment in time or even worse go out of business you will be out your money.  There have been cases of this happening in the past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martinchem said:

Reading the small print, I'm not sure this can be used with a travel agent booking. It does say through specific cruise lines only. Anyone have luck through a travel agent?

When in doubt, book direct.

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I just used my offer and in addition to the $100 statement credit, I received another $10 for the “Spend $500 or more, get $10 back” bonus cash back offer.  Surprised that one purchase qualified for two offers.  

$10 isn't much for me to book a new cruise. 🤨

42 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

$10 isn't much for me to book a new cruise. 🤨

It was an additional offer from Amex.  I rolled my eyes when I first saw it, but added it to my card just in case.  All those small amounts add up.  Since 11/29/15, I have received $1,475 from those offers, which is $40 more than the cruise I booked today on the Mardi Gras.

Edited to add:  It takes even less than $10 to get me to book another cruise 😄

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Just checked my AMEX account and still haven't gotten the $100  credit.  Don't know if it's because Carnival charged it in two separate charges or because I had booked the cruise in June and the offer said it had to be booked after 11/15.

You won’t see the credit until the charges actually hit your next statement, as in your next bill. At least that’s how it worked for me when the charges were split. You can call and verify.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Just checked my AMEX account and still haven't gotten the $100  credit.  Don't know if it's because Carnival charged it in two separate charges or because I had booked the cruise in June and the offer said it had to be booked after 11/15.

I would either call  them at their 800 number or use the chat function on the website to ask about receiving the credit. Explain that you charged $500, but Carnival for some reason split it into 2 payments adding up to  $500.

34 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would either call  them at their 800 number or use the chat function on the website to ask about receiving the credit. Explain that you charged $500, but Carnival for some reason split it into 2 payments adding up to  $500.

Thank you for the advice.  I just used the chat function and the person did some checking and said that it was odd that Carnival charged it in two different installments.  He made some adjustments and said that the rebate would show up in a couple of days.  I did send an e-mail to my PVP this morning and asked why they did the two separate charges.  Haven't heard back from him yet.  

On 11/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Use the back door americanexpress.com/wlcl 

Thanks for the back door link Elaine!

Took me right to it - funny they hid it labeling it World's Leading Cruise Line,

instead of Carnival Corp.

Loaded in on!

• Like 1

I paid via a TA last night $500 on my card and immediately got an email from AMX that I had used the offer.  Also paid off that cruise with DW's AMX and then paid more on another booked cruise for a total if $500 on hers.  She also got the email on using the offer.

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Thank you for the advice.  I just used the chat function and the person did some checking and said that it was odd that Carnival charged it in two different installments.  He made some adjustments and said that the rebate would show up in a couple of days.  I did send an e-mail to my PVP this morning and asked why they did the two separate charges.  Haven't heard back from him yet.  

Update - This was his response:  Needless to say, I didn't need him to  do the payment over again.

Hi Richard.

I see online the 2 different charges, not 1 for $500.  Why?  I don’t know how/why that happened.

Call me to do the $500 payment over again, if you like, and I will refund the $232 and $268 charges back to your card.

Thanks.

Still nothing for my WF AMEX card.  The back door thing doesn't work for me because although it's an AMEX card, it was issued by WF.  I tried last time when it wasn't showing up for me. 

I'm going to go back and check that thread and see how long it was from the original post to the time I was able to find it.  That way, I won't obsess and hunt for it every couple of hours.  It's not like the offer expires in the next couple of days.  And I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks plus 3 more booked, so I have plenty to pay off! 😋

EDIT:  sure enough, I found the older thread.  It was started on July 3 and the offer didn't show up for me until July 21!!  Guess I need to be patient, for a while at least!

Edited by NCTribeFan

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

You're welcome. I'm glad my advice worked out for you. 

Hopefully you will see the rebate within the next few days.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Update - This was his response:  Needless to say, I didn't need him to  do the payment over again.

Hi Richard.

I see online the 2 different charges, not 1 for $500.  Why?  I don’t know how/why that happened.

Call me to do the $500 payment over again, if you like, and I will refund the $232 and $268 charges back to your card.

Thanks.

RWolver672:  Did you prepay your gratuities?  If you did they may have put it through as 2 separate charges.  I would like to know because we have $484 left to pay on 1 cruise which wouldn't make the $500 minimum.  But we haven't prepaid our gratuities.  If we did that we would have over $500.

6 hours ago, d-train said:

Thanks for the back door link Elaine!

Took me right to it - funny they hid it labeling it World's Leading Cruise Line,

instead of Carnival Corp.

Loaded in on!

I think "World's Leading Cruise Line" is a marketing umbrella for all the Carnival Corporation brands - Carnival, Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc. and this offer applies to any reservation on any of those lines.

10 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

RWolver672:  Did you prepay your gratuities?  If you did they may have put it through as 2 separate charges.  I would like to know because we have $484 left to pay on 1 cruise which wouldn't make the $500 minimum.  But we haven't prepaid our gratuities.  If we did that we would have over $500.

I just put the $500 on my remaining balance.  The gratuities were already on the outstanding balance.  Even our PVP can't figure out why they did it that way.