Review of Alaska on Golden Princess

livinginyellow

I wrote out a review of my family and I's time on the Golden Princess on Alaska over the summer. I plan on doing a comprehensive review of Alaska itself soon, which I will also post here. Please read and let me know if you have any questions. I can answer here on the blog.

https://www.anyadventurewithyou.com/alaska-on-the-golden-princess-a-cruise-review/

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your excellent review.  We've been on the Golden twice before and for the most part enjoyed our voyages.  We will be on her again in May (10 day Sea of Cortez & 14 Day AK R/T 24 days total). It is a retirement present to myself.....😊😊😊

Bob

13 hours ago, livinginyellow said:

I wrote out a review of my family and I's time on the Golden Princess on Alaska over the summer. I plan on doing a comprehensive review of Alaska itself soon, which I will also post here. Please read and let me know if you have any questions. I can answer here on the blog.

https://www.anyadventurewithyou.com/alaska-on-the-golden-princess-a-cruise-review/

Your review was wonderful, and we love the Golden.  We are on her May 30 going to Alaska.  As a retired teacher, and living in Phoenix, Alaska is the 49th state, with Arizona being the 48th.  You are a great ambassador for Princess!

14 hours ago, livinginyellow said:

Thanks very much for the review!  I noticed you didn’t mention the complimentary room service as a late night eating option. Did you not know about it?  

14 minutes ago, 4hunters said:

Thanks very much for the review!  I noticed you didn’t mention the complimentary room service as a late night eating option. Did you not know about it?  

True, I didn't. I ordered from it once, early on in the cruise. It took very long, so much so that I knew I wouldn't stay awake waiting for it (or have the foresight to order it early enough) after a few drinks, so I didn't consider it.

Very good review.

Sorry to hear that your grandparents had flight difficulties with EZAir. For next time:classic_wink:...when you use EZAir you don't have to take the "assigned" flight date for the day of the cruise. Example: we're using EZAir in December LAX to FLL and since it's December (ice, snow, airport closures, etc.), we changed the date to 2 days before the cruise.

I also did a cruise on the Golden with our grandkids this summer.  This was maybe our 4th or 5th trip to AK counting cruises, cruises w grandkids and land trips.  I will admit that the only reason that we took this specific cruise is because the timing was right for the grandkids as we do not normally cruise on Princess.  However, based on your positive review, we must have been on a different ship.

On the positive side, the dinners in the MDR were good and most important the grandkids loved the trip.

On the negative side. I felt that the ship was totally over crowded and there was almost no space in the public spaces which were wall-to-wall people.  We typically ate breakfast and lunch in the buffet and the food and food selection at the buffet was the worse of any ship I have ever been on.  Think Denny's or worse quality food.  The port times were awful.  We did not have enough times in the ports and some of the "scenic cruising" might have been scenic except that we went into the scenic areas as the sun was setting and came out when it was almost dark which made it hard to see stuff.

I have one more grandchild who is owed an AK cruise.  It will not be on Princess.

DON

4 hours ago, osofish2 said:

Your review was wonderful, and we love the Golden.  We are on her May 30 going to Alaska.  As a retired teacher, and living in Phoenix, Alaska is the 49th state, with Arizona being the 48th.  You are a great ambassador for Princess!

I think what osofish2 was hinting at was the ?typo? in the blog:

"And the ship itself had everything you could ever want when you sail the 48th state."

Just now, Woobstr112G said:

Thank you for posting your excellent review.  We've been on the Golden twice before and for the most part enjoyed our voyages.  We will be on her again in May (10 day Sea of Cortez & 14 Day AK R/T 24 days total). It is a retirement present to myself.....😊😊😊

Bob

Bob,  Retirement?????  I will believe it when I see it.   I think you have been talking retirement for the last 5 years.   LOL

It's about time.     Happy Retirement Cruise

Joe

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I also did a cruise on the Golden with our grandkids this summer.  This was maybe our 4th or 5th trip to AK counting cruises, cruises w grandkids and land trips.  I will admit that the only reason that we took this specific cruise is because the timing was right for the grandkids as we do not normally cruise on Princess.  However, based on your positive review, we must have been on a different ship.

On the positive side, the dinners in the MDR were good and most important the grandkids loved the trip.

On the negative side. I felt that the ship was totally over crowded and there was almost no space in the public spaces which were wall-to-wall people.  We typically ate breakfast and lunch in the buffet and the food and food selection at the buffet was the worse of any ship I have ever been on.  Think Denny's or worse quality food.  The port times were awful.  We did not have enough times in the ports and some of the "scenic cruising" might have been scenic except that we went into the scenic areas as the sun was setting and came out when it was almost dark which made it hard to see stuff.

I have one more grandchild who is owed an AK cruise.  It will not be on Princess.

DON

I'm sorry to hear your experience was so bad! I'm always one to say see if you can try another ship and give it another go, but if you don't, we'd love to hear what other line you pick and how it compares!