Dress code - what does evening chic amount to usually?

Traderboy

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

UK passengers like to wear tuxes. So the percentage in a tux is higher since there will be more UK passengers. It might reach 30% or 35%. It does not matter to me.  I am an American on an American cruise line. I don't think the UK passengers should have any expectation I would dress like they do. 

I think it might be more accurate to say that UK passengers have been more used to doing it on the cruise lines that sail out of the UK as they have hung onto the tradition longer... Cunard & Fred Olsen still do have multiple formal nights each cruise.

It most certainly doesn't mean we all like to do it 🙂

Both my black and white formal wear will be remaining at home when cruising on any line that doesn't still promote it.

14 hours ago, Traderboy said:

Thank you everybody for your firsthand experiences.
It does strange that the percentage of men in tuxes varies from 80% to a few %.
That is basically my problem, in knowing what to bring.

I think I will go for the middle ground with one sports jacket and a couple of ties.

That is perfect and exactly what I do. Don't worry at all. You'll be fine. 

Phil 

We were a party of 11 last month and all us 6 guys wore tuxedos (or as we prefer to call then dinner jackets). I took four for our B2B in the Caribbean. As they are all slim fit they are far lighter than my old fashioned black dinner suit.

What others choose to wear isn't ever a problem. The wives love dressing up and it is only proper that we guys compliment their attire.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Traderboy said:

Thank you everybody for your firsthand experiences.
It does strange that the percentage of men in tuxes varies from 80% to a few %.
That is basically my problem, in knowing what to bring.

I think I will go for the middle ground with one sports jacket and a couple of ties.

I think the issue of aircraft luggage space is the reason for the recent changes in dress requirements. Also I guess some people prefer not to be very ‘chic’.
I prefer to blend in rather than strand out from the crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had this conversation yesterday with friends that we are sailing with soon.

We were on the Silhouette TA last year, and 2 Caribbean cruises recently, most recent in August. We've been in Blu and Luminae.

The TA had a definite, noticeably higher percentage of men in formal dress and women in long gowns and more sparkly cocktail dresses - but all still the minority. I would say that a man without a jacket on chic nights would have been in the minority on the other end of the spectrum.

It may be more the atmosphere of the room than the actual dress of the men, but Luminae in the Caribbean seemed to have more men in sports coats than Blu did - both on chic nights and regular nights. Just seemed a little dressier.

My husband tends to err on the dressier side - he has no problem being the rare guy in the tux - but he has worn everything mentioned here to dinner, including a pressed Hawaiian shirt. He tends to stick to the middle of the road - a navy blue blazer and pressed khakis cover a multitude of flaws and fit almost any evening.

Round trip Southampton cruises seem to have more dinner jackets and evening dresses, probably because for some people this fits in with the British idea of cruising, and also because most British passengers do not have to fly to the port so have no luggage weight restrictions to worry about.

5 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

On our Mediterranean cruise on Constellation in August I counted about a dozen jackets in a full MDR and a handful of tuxes. 

Most men in collared t-shirts. 

From my experience in the Med, the Baltic, British Isle cruses and the Caribbean this is about average.  I've never found that it varies significantly between regions.  I think that's because the same clientele in all regions.  Some may not like it, but leave the dressy clothes at home unless you enjoy the dressing up.

• Like 1

As others have said it is very much itinerary dependant. 

We sailed out and back from Southampton in October and I can honestly say that about 60% of men on the last Chic night where in Black tie (tuxes in American) with a fair smattering of Kilts and a couple of dress uniforms. I even spotted one male couple in white tie (Tails).

That evening when we ate in Luminae I counted 14 men in black tie, 3 in suite and tie, 3 in jackets and no tie, 1 in a kilt and only 2 with out a jacket. This was only the near side half as I didn't actually count the other side.

7 weeks earlier again out and back to Southampton on an Iceland cruise on the same ship in August on the last Chic there were probably only 25 or 30% of men in white tie. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, Traderboy said:

We are used to Princess but are going on our first Celebrity cruise in February from Singapore to Dubai.

We have read various accounts of what they mean by evening chic but would like to hear some first-hand experience.

What percentage of the men will be dressed in formal wear - ie dinner jackets?

Indeed what percentage of the men will even have a jacket at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, Traderboy said:

Basically, it means wear what you want to wear( no shorts, ...etc).  WE have never seen an issue and we no longer bring, for me, a tux, a suit or even a jacket.  I do bring a pair of stone colored chinos and a nice long sleeve shirt, but have worn a nice camp shirt.  Lots of younger people I have seen wearing jeans (to fading or holes that I recall)  It is a way to have a rule and basically not have to enforce it except on rare occasions.

• Like 1

We noticed more formal attire on our cruises from Singapore and from Abu Dhabi.  From Southampton there are definitely more tuxedos and formal wear. In the Caribbean there are definitely less. Sometimes my husband takes a tux sometimes just a jacket. As others here have said, just wear what you personally feel comfortable with whilst keeping in with the general dress code. 

Edited by lovescarborough

Just off Silhouette a few days ago. On the second elegant chic night walking out of the MDR after dinner followed a gentleman in jeans overalls with suspenders and a plaid shirt. Reminded me of Cam on the US TV show "Modern Family" in his clown outfit!!! Bottom line is ANYTHING goes now!

• Like 1

I read on these celebrity threads how well dressed people were and how they enforced dress standards then I say this person in cutoff shorts and a baseball cap on backwards enter mdr earlier this year on infinity. In general passengers do dress much nicer than rccl my normal cruise line . 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:48 AM, ozark74 said:

You will see a few tuxedos but very few and a some men in suits or sport coats. There will be more men in a sport shirt and slacks. The women dress up more than the men. Personally I haven't taken a sport coat in 7 year. I just do formal Hawaiian. a Hawaiian shirt and slacks. Bottom line dress in whatever you are comfortable in.

well to be honest I do wear my less loud Hawaiian shirts on chic night - usually ones with subdued colors.

The other nights I will always have my Aloha shirts on full display.

Like your style

• Like 1