Aruba or Bonaire?

MGB555

I've only snorkeled once and I'm trying to get my partner to give it a try.  We are doing a 20 day NYC to San Fran in January.  Caribbean stops are Bonaire and Aruba.

I've heard good things about Woodwind  in Bonaire.   Which port to you recommend for newbies?  There are very conflicting reviews of the conditions of the sites in Bonaire on line.  I want my partner to like snorkeling so I want his first experience to be a good one.

Thanks

Michael B

Edited by MGB555
Correct ino

Michael,

I'm a diver, rather than a snorkeler, but have been to both places many times. 

Bonaire would probably be your better overall choice.  You can snorkel from shore at countless sites, or take a boat to Klein Bonaire.

If you choose Aruba you'd likely want to take a boat excursion to the Antilla wreck site.  You'll be able to snorkel above a very interesting shipwreck, that's in about 50 feet of water, so you get a great view of it,a nd all the sea life it supports. 

Harris

Bonaire for sure. 

Although Woodwind is excellent it is a drift snorkel.  I would be concerned your partner might be overwhelmed for their first snorkel experience and if so may never try again.  

Any way he could try locally or in a pool before your trip to feel more comfortable?  Dee is excellent on Woodwind with newbies but it still can be rough.

Definitely Bonaire... but I would highly recommend looking at a couple of different companies.  Bonaire is all about scuba and snorkeling, dozens and dozens of operators there.  I wouldn't attempt shore snorkeling for a newbie, but I would recommend trying a boat that will take you to 2-3 sites.  And you don't have to be far from shore to see the reefs and fish there.  Its just easier to get on and off a boat into the water, rather than deal with waves at shore locations - although there are a couple with little wave action in town.  For a first timer though, do a boat.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, MGB555 said:

I've only snorkeled once and I'm trying to get my partner to give it a try.  We are doing a 20 day NYC to San Fran in January.  Caribbean stops are Bonaire and Aruba.

I've heard good things about Woodwind  in Bonaire.   Which port to you recommend for newbies?  There are very conflicting reviews of the conditions of the sites in Bonaire on line.  I want my partner to like snorkeling so I want his first experience to be a good one.

Thanks

Michael B

We bought our own snorkeling gear 25 years ago and still enjoy using it. Our favorite place for snorkeling is Klein Bonaire which is the little island right across from cruise ship. You pay like $20 each for a boat ride to Klein Bonaire. You walk to the left facing shore and enter water and float back to beach. Excellent snorkeling.
We bring a pool noodle each for floating and rash guard for sunburn.
Aruba we take a bus to Arrashi beach and snorkeling reef right off shore. Decent place. Nothing like having your own snorkeling gear. Clean and it’s yours.
It’s easier to learn from shore than getting off a boat in choppy waves and a pool noodle helps your floating confidence!

On 11/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, omeinv said:

. . .

If you choose Aruba you'd likely want to take a boat excursion to the Antilla wreck site.  You'll be able to snorkel above a very interesting shipwreck, that's in about 50 feet of water, so you get a great view of it,a nd all the sea life it supports. 

Harris

We've been to Aruba a number of times and that was probably the first place I snorkeled.  Have done boats that went to the Antilla and also from shore on my own out that way.  When we there 2 yrs ago, it was too windy/choppy to go over that way, so instead we snorkeled just east of the ship.  Not a good place!  No plants on the floor of the ocean and no fish.  What a waste of time and money!

On 11/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, MGB555 said:

Are you by any chance on the NCL Gem's Jan. 4, 2020  NY-San Fran cruise?  If so, we have an active Roll Call going, please come over and join.  Also, a number of us are signed up for the Woodwind snorkel for our afternoon in Bonaire.  🙂

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Are you by any chance on the NCL Gem's Jan. 4, 2020  NY-San Fran cruise?  If so, we have an active Roll Call going, please come over and join.  Also, a number of us are signed up for the Woodwind snorkel for our afternoon in Bonaire.  🙂

Yes, we are on this cruise.  I plan to book with Woodwind.  They had space a week or so.  I'm hoping they still do.  If not I'll book through the ship.

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said: