What's a good gift?

LadyMac72

I purchased a cruise for my BF and I for next September (2020) in Alaska.  I've cruised before but he hasn't.  His birthday is in February and I will be giving him the gift then (he'll be 40, hence the reason for this bigger than usual gift).  I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

• Like 1

If he uses cellphone as camera, then a clear waterproof neckpouch for it will be handy for shore excursions and wandering the deck.

Also a charger/splitter without surge protection (which is dangerous with the ship's electric system), like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPYFMV7/ref=psdc_10967801_t3_B073ZDH43X

The "frequently bought together" suggestions on that devices page (showing me luggage tag sleeves and strong magnet hooks) are also handy things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

I purchased a cruise for my BF and I for next September (2020) in Alaska.  I've cruised before but he hasn't.  His birthday is in February and I will be giving him the gift then (he'll be 40, hence the reason for this bigger than usual gift).  I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

For Alaska, binoculars 

I guess I was thinking more "stocking stuffer" type things in my answer above. Nice-while-small binoculars from R.E.I. was what I got my husband a couple of cruises ago!

As far as Alaska books, there are several specific for cruising Alaska -- look for titles and "Look Inside" option on Amazon, but have a look for the same title(s) on eBay for significant savings!

• Like 3

On 11/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, LadyMac72 said:

I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

For a book -- Alaska by James A. Michener.   Spares nothing in telling the story of how Alaska came to be.    😀

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think a nice pair of binoculars would be great to have in Alaska, with all the whales, wildlife and glaciers. Plus, he could always bring it with him on future cruises. I always bring mine and love spying distant ships across the horizon and other interesting sights. 

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:07 PM, cruiserking said:

I think a nice pair of binoculars would be great to have in Alaska, with all the whales, wildlife and glaciers. Plus, he could always bring it with him on future cruises. I always bring mine and love spying distant ships across the horizon and other interesting sights. 

Jonathan

I read your comment and wanted to buy a pair of binoculars 🙂 This is really a very cool idea, thank you!

• Like 1

1. Binoculars.  Quality,  not small inexpensive ones.

2. Good camera.

3. Special excursion booked at one of the ports. E.g., not my thing but friends who have done one cruise, to Alaska, keep raving about the helicopter flight to the glacier to meet and greet and ride behind some sled dogs. Whale watching is a big deal. Salmon fishing, followed by salmon steaks grilled... Bear watching. Any of these could be very special (and very expensive). But the memories of a special event will stick with him far longer than something like binocs or camera that will get broken, lost, upgraded, etc.

For camera ideas, visit the Camera discussion board and/or the Alaska board here on Cruise Critic - what to buy for Alaska is a frequent topic on both sites.

Enjoy!

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

On 2/28/2020 at 5:33 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

1. Binoculars.  Quality,  not small inexpensive ones.

2. Good camera.

3. Special excursion booked at one of the ports. E.g., not my thing but friends who have done one cruise, to Alaska, keep raving about the helicopter flight to the glacier to meet and greet and ride behind some sled dogs. Whale watching is a big deal. Salmon fishing, followed by salmon steaks grilled... Bear watching. Any of these could be very special (and very expensive). But the memories of a special event will stick with him far longer than something like binocs or camera that will get broken, lost, upgraded, etc.

For camera ideas, visit the Camera discussion board and/or the Alaska board here on Cruise Critic - what to buy for Alaska is a frequent topic on both sites.

Enjoy!

Stan

Buying binoculars for anyone is a really bad idea as being comfortable w a good pair of binocs is a very personal choice.  The last time I bought binoculars, I spent several hours in the store checking out all the pairs that they had to see which ones worked for me.  I also made certain that I could return them if I decided after I got them home that I did not like them.  If you do want to buy them binoculars, give them a gift certificate to a good store that has a good selection and let them pick out the ones that they want.  Same comment with regard to a good camera.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Buying binoculars for anyone is a really bad idea as being comfortable w a good pair of binocs is a very personal choice.  The last time I bought binoculars, I spent several hours in the store checking out all the pairs that they had to see which ones worked for me.  I also made certain that I could return them if I decided after I got them home that I did not like them.  If you do want to buy them binoculars, give them a gift certificate to a good store that has a good selection and let them pick out the ones that they want.  Same comment with regard to a good camera.

DON

I agree with your point, but many of us don't have "real" stores to go check things out, and I wouldn't send anyone to a Walmart etc for such gear.

Whether buying in-store or on-line it helps to have some guidance. For binoculars etc I think Optics Planet has some excellent resources on what to look for [pun intended] when buying binoculars. This page is a good starting point: How To Choose

With respect to cameras, DPReview has a series of decent Buying Guides which split cameras and accessories into categories and provide their recommendations on the "best" in each category, e.g., best cameras Under $500 or best Compact Zooms or best cameras For Travel. I don't agree with many of their specific  recommendations but often, when trying to decide between Camera A, Camera B, or Camera C, all of which are about the same size, same cost, built for the same purpose, it really doesn't matter. They will all be about the same to use, the results will be about the same. Rule #1 - you pay for quality, and Rule #2 - good photography depends more on the eye of the photographer and his/her ability to see, and understand how to effectively capture an image  than it does on the quality of the camera. 

Stan

On 3/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Although I consider the binocular as a good gift but I fully agree w you about the fact that it's really better to buy a gift certificate in a good store. This is probably the case w all gifts that aren't very cheap and are related to technology. Once I gave a friend a phone for an anniversary but it did not suit her for a set of technical characteristics (it was too difficult for her to get used to it), and after that I give only certificates in such cases

• 1 month later...

For both of you (gift wrap for him, but he should share), James A. Michener's book Alaska. It will mean more to you once you have read that book. Likewise, if you get into the Caribbean, James A. Michener's Caribbean is the one to read.

Jim