Why eat at buffet?

Firepath

As for me, the choice depends on the mood. Sometimes it is nice to have a lunch in a buffet choosing whatever fancies your eye. It's not the right place for a nice evening conversation just eat and go. For a dinner, I would definitely prefer a restaurant to enjoy a good steak and wine.

While I do agree that serving appetizers separately can drive you crazy when eating in a company. But this is a question to the restaurant itself. I hope it won't be like this on Sky Princess we're taking this simmer. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Surely you would just walk out when you have finished your meal? You dont wait for people you dont even know do you? Alternatively gett hammered drunk sat with them and then just ridcule them.

I think I said that in a later post.  But yeah, I gently nudge Mrs Ldubs then make some lame excuse to get out of there.  Get dessert & coffee elsewhere if we want it.   

Hammered drunk isn't a bad idea.  If I did that I probably wouldn't care how long we were sitting.  haha.   

Agree on hammered drunk. Having the beverage package is good for that.

Otherwise, if early dinner: you have to go get a seat for the show. If late dinner: either your bed is calling or maybe you have to meet someone at the [insert most distant bar] so enjoy your dessert, goodnight.

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think I said that in a later post.  But yeah, I gently nudge Mrs Ldubs then make some lame excuse to get out of there.  Get dessert & coffee elsewhere if we want it.   

Hammered drunk isn't a bad idea.  If I did that I probably wouldn't care how long we were sitting.  haha.   

You could actually turn it into a lot of fun. Play bingo with the desserts. Have a few each and tick them off when the weird lady gets them. Oh the fun you could have.

You could say, right, if she now picks the cheese cake we have to quickly drink a whisky. Or she gets the chocolate fudge cake, ooooo thats a bacardi each.

OK you would probably get blind drunk but you would falling about laughing whilst doing it.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, ldubs said:

What can become tiresome (or tedious) for me to the point of drumming my fingers on the table is waiting for someone to finish their 6th entree and suspecting there are multiple dessert courses to come!   Speaking as a spectator, an eating marathon gets tiresome.

I have never dined with anyone in the MDR who has ordered more than one entree, except perhaps there have been a few times when a couple ordered a second entree to share between them and it was served simultaneously with the other entrees. Also, a few times back when the "surf n turf" entree on formal nights used to be more of a thing, I know folks requested an extra lobster tail be added to their plate...

I wonder if part of the problem is that servers in the MDR now have so many tables to serve that they get run off their feet. They can probably only get their busboy to the kitchen and back with a single item for each diner, rather than multiples, meaning anyone ordering more than one would have to wait for a second trip to be made.  

Alternatively, I wonder whether some folks who are impatient at multiple courses do not realize that ships used to have menus with six or seven courses listed -- I remember cruising on Sitmar as a kid and teen and they would have (each listed as a separate course):  Appetizer, Soup, Salad, Pasta, Fish, Entree, and Dessert.  Sometimes on formal nights there was also a palate cleanser (sherbet) served at some point mid-meal.

Ships now tend to group all appetizers, soups and salads into one category.  That doesn't mean one can't or shouldn't still choose their preferred progression of dishes or that it is wrong or greedy to order an appetizer, a soup and a salad if desired.

Then again, I don't travel on the huge glitzy ships with lots of entertainment options. I am generally happy to have a nice leisurely dinner, then check out some after-dinner music somewhere or take a walk around the deck. In other words, I'm not rushing to a show most nights.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have never dined with anyone in the MDR who has ordered more than one entree, except perhaps there have been a few times when a couple ordered a second entree to share between them and it was served simultaneously with the other entrees. Also, a few times back when the "surf n turf" entree on formal nights used to be more of a thing, I know folks requested an extra lobster tail be added to their plate...

I wonder if part of the problem is that servers in the MDR now have so many tables to serve that they get run off their feet. They can probably only get their busboy to the kitchen and back with a single item for each diner, rather than multiples, meaning anyone ordering more than one would have to wait for a second trip to be made.  

Alternatively, I wonder whether some folks who are impatient at multiple courses do not realize that ships used to have menus with six or seven courses listed -- I remember cruising on Sitmar as a kid and teen and they would have (each listed as a separate course):  Appetizer, Soup, Salad, Pasta, Fish, Entree, and Dessert.  Sometimes on formal nights there was also a palate cleanser (sherbet) served at some point mid-meal.

Ships now tend to group all appetizers, soups and salads into one category.  That doesn't mean one can't or shouldn't still choose their preferred progression of dishes or that it is wrong or greedy to order an appetizer, a soup and a salad if desired.

Then again, I don't travel on the huge glitzy ships with lots of entertainment options. I am generally happy to have a nice leisurely dinner, then check out some after-dinner music somewhere or take a walk around the deck. In other words, I'm not rushing to a show most nights.

Good points,  In my case it wasn't about the person ordering more than one plate having to wait.  It wasn't about impatience with multiple courses.  It was about having to sit there after finishing a course while someone chowed down on multiple plates.  Anyway, and fortunately, it would be the exception and not the rule.  

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Good points,  In my case it wasn't about the person ordering more than one plate having to wait.  It wasn't about impatience with multiple courses.  It was about having to sit there after finishing a course while someone chowed down on multiple plates.  Anyway, and fortunately, it would be the exception and not the rule.  

But if the person who ordered more than one plate gets them sequentially, then YOU have to wait. That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it was unclear.

Also I was trying to point out that what is "three appetizers" in one person's eyes might be "three distinct courses of appetizer, soup and salad" to someone else -- and no, I would not want them all served at the same time!

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

But if the person who ordered more than one plate gets them sequentially, then YOU have to wait. That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it was unclear.

Also I was trying to point out that what is "three appetizers" in one person's eyes might be "three distinct courses of appetizer, soup and salad" to someone else -- and no, I would not want them all served at the same time!

It went right past me. Haha.   I think you are right on the money.  I also understand about the appetizers.  Mrs Ldubs will often treat an appetizer item as her main course.  

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

You could actually turn it into a lot of fun. Play bingo with the desserts. Have a few each and tick them off when the weird lady gets them. Oh the fun you could have.

You could say, right, if she now picks the cheese cake we have to quickly drink a whisky. Or she gets the chocolate fudge cake, ooooo thats a bacardi each.

OK you would probably get blind drunk but you would falling about laughing whilst doing it.

I don't know, this could become kind of dicey.  I might end up with a dessert in the face!  Lol

• Haha 1