Power Cord

Pickels

9 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

That photo looks like it does have a third prong.  So I thought that meant it wouldn’t be allowed.

All devices with surge suppressors require the third prong, but not all devices with a third prong have a surge suppressor. So having a third prong doesn't in and of itself preclude an item.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that the decision whether or not to allow a power cord is made by contract employees in the various terminals, be they in Miami, Vancouver,  Fort Lauderdale, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Venice, or wherever.They are not Celebrity employees, they work for the port and they are following a set of guidelines which actually vary from cruise line to cruise line.  It is not surprising that there is inconsistency on what is allowed to be taken aboard and what is not.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

All devices with surge suppressors require the third prong, but not all devices with a third prong have a surge suppressor. So having a third prong doesn't in and of itself preclude an item.

Absolutely correct!

I'm sure many may be able to get an extension through security and others will have it confiscated.   I've stopped playing the game and just request one from my stateroom attendant or butler and it is there within hours.   I've even had them ask me if I needed a power strip which I politely accepted.

• Like 2

• Host Kat changed the title to Power Cord

We have taken an extension cord and a power bar since 1994 and they have never been confiscated till sailing Summit  last month.  They were taken by the port authority who said it was a Royal Caribbean policy not to allow them.

After reading everyone's posts we've decided not to pack a power strip in our luggage.  Our Silhouette veranda (12/13/19 departure) has at least 2 US outlets and we're still lucid enough to keep 2 phones, 1 laptop and a DSLR charged.

Standing in the luggage, "Naughty line" due to of a rogue power cord instead of partying on embarkation day isn't our idea of a good time.

• Like 1

Celebrity is pretty consistent, but the people employed in the terminals are not. Sometimes they work for Royal Caribbean, sometimes they work for Celebrity, sometimes they work for all the different cruise lines and each line has its own rules and regulations, so no wonder they get mixed up.  

The problem is what Celebrity's posted in the  "what not to pack" and it only calls out electrical extension cords. To me that leaves it up to the discretion of the person running your carry on or checked luggage thru the scanners at the different embarkation ports. Why not say with or without a surge suppressor. 

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

I want an extension cord for CPAP use. If they will confiscate it is good to know the room attendant will provide one. Will they also provide distilled water (off topic I know )??

Contact Celebrity's special needs department...  https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs/medical-needs

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

I want an extension cord for CPAP use. If they will confiscate it is good to know the room attendant will provide one. Will they also provide distilled water (off topic I know )??

Call the special needs department. 

I use a CPAP and emailed them that I needed an extension cord. They responded in about 4 days and told me the extension cord and distilled water would be in my cabin at no extra cost.  

I thought they would charge for the distilled water.  I cruise Hal allot and they charge

$ 4.95 for a gallon.