Best time to book spa services?

AnnaRocks

I did search; didn't find the answer I was looking for. Please share the link, if this topic has been covered - thanks.

That being said, my travel agent advised that I book spa services online and in advance, noting that particularly for sea days, prime appointment times/services simply book up and become unavailable.Ā  Has anyone found this to be true, that if you wait til you're onboard, the date/time/service you desired is no longer available?Ā  Are there deals to be had, once onboard? Again, though, are dates/times/services limited? If you book your spa service in advance, and then you get a promotion flyer, will they adjust the price for you?Ā 

Any answers and insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have never booked on line and always been able to get at/very near the times I want.

Ā 

On three of the lines we've sailed (RCL, HAL, Celebrity) I've been offered a 10/20/30 discount...If I book three services, I get 10% off one, 20% off the second and 30% off the third.Ā  They've always taken the 30% off the most expensive of the three, and the 10% off the least expensive.Ā  It works out 'almost' to buy two, get one free.

Ā 

I book this way because I always know I'm going at least three times.Ā  There are always daily deals that are offered, with some of the better discounts on port days (to entice you to stay on the ship). Ā 

Ā 

After we embark and have lunch, we head to the spa and I make all my appointments at that time.

• Like 1

Have never used spa services, but they are frequently offered at a discount during cruises.

Best discounts seem to be during the day on port days.

Ā 

Your TA may well be right about booking-out atĀ prime times, eg sea days.

So perhaps book ahead if it's important & you don't want to lose port time, wait for on-board discounts if the cost is a more significant factor.Ā 

Ā 

JBĀ :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Personally I book a massage with my regular RMT and a cut at my barber right before cruising rather than pay the severely-inflated prices aboard; if I was into mani/pedis etc. I'd get them done before boarding too - who doesn't want to feel and look their best at the start of their vaycay?

Ā 

On a very, very rare occasion though there has been a good enough deal offered, always on a port day, that it was worth trying out the onboard spa (it's always port days as that's when demand is lowest). I've seen the 10/20/30 deals mentioned above on pretty much every NCL/Princess cruise too - given that Steiner run almost every spa at sea it makes sense the same kind of deals would appear on most lines - and occasionally a specific treatment that's maybe not selling might get a discount on a sea day.

Ā 

If you already use local RMTs etc. at home, and your questions were purely related to extra treatments onboard you can ignore the next paragraphs - but since you asked for insight as well as answers, some opinions and facts about the poor value in general of spas aboard ships follow:

Ā 

Even with a 30%+ discount it usually still works out worse value than what it costs on land (here in Vancouver, actually I find the onboard spa discounts need to approach 50% to be worthwhile). Also be aware that you may be able to claim some treatments through your insurance coverage at home, whereas that does not work at sea as they don't guarantee the qualifications the spa staff have are compatible with your home country's rules); plus at best you get a slightly-worse treatment than at home (not that the spa staff on ships are not competent, but multiple visits to the same person of course improves the quality of your experience as they get to know your preferences).

Ā 

If you don't already have a regular RMT etc., Groupons are a great way to sample a few different places to find someone you 'click' with - since you listed your home town, here's the link to current deals in Odenton. Just don't be 'that gal' and tip on the original price of the service when Grouponing - it'll still be less than the compulsory 'tip' on-board!

Thanks, @martincath for your detailed insight. I am a fan of Groupon, for trying out local services. šŸ™‚ Just to clarify my position: I am aware that spa pricing on cruises is inflated (which is why I'm interested in discounts & promotions, LOL). It is what it is and it's part of my vacation budget. While on vacation, my husband and I like to indulge in pampering, and typically plan for spa services. (I do have a hair appointment booked, the week prior to our departure and I'll do my own mani ahead of time.)Ā  Knowing that I am going to book services, my question was related to book now or wait for a deal, from others' experience.

A quick call to Ship Services answered that. FYI, the spa on Holland America only sells 20% of its availability in advance. That leaves plenty of slots to book what I want, when I want it. And, while they don't know what promotions will be available now, they will know once the cruise embarks. So, it would seem my best course of action is to wait and plan to hit the spa to make those desired appointments - and hopefully take advantage of any offers - once we are onboard.